• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kulan: Knightfall's Heroes of Carnell Game [OOC]

So, it's been quite a few years since I played 3.5 and I could kill myself looking for two 5th level spells because there are so many but I thought I'd pool the advice of the group.

I need one evocation and I was thinking about this:

Channeled Sound Blast​

Evocation (Sonic)

Level: Bard 5, sorcerer/wizard 5Components: V, SCasting Time: See textRange: See textArea: Cone-shaped burstDuration: InstantaneousSaving Throw: Fortitude halfSpell Resistance: Yes
You channel energy into the shimmering waves of sound spell, causing them to tremble and quake with power. When you have poured enough energy into the spell, you send a thunderous blast into your foes.

This spell creates a cone of sonic energy that blasts your enemies. The spell’s strength depends on the amount of time you spend channeling energy into it.

If you cast channeled sound burst as a swift action, it deals 1d4 points of sonic damage per two levels in a 15-foot cone. If you cast the spell as a standard action, it deals 1d6 points of sonic damage per level in a 30-foot cone. If you cast channeled sound burst as a full-round action, it deals 1d8 points of sonic damage per level in a 30-foot cone. If you spend 2 full rounds casting this spell, it deals 1d10 points of sonic damage per level in a 60-foot-radius spread and permanently deafens all creatures in the area that fail Fortitude saves.

Regardless of how long you spend casting this spell, it can’t deal more than 10 dice of damage. When you begin casting this spell, you decide when you are finished casting it after the appropriate time has passed. You do not need to declare ahead of time how long you want to spend casting the spell.

because we are going to be fighting demons and sonic is a good choice? Assuming that's a legal spell for this game. Otherwise, I'm just going to pull from PHB.

Speaking of which, for my second spell, I was thinking: teleport or dismissal. Dismissal is useless against undead though.

Anyways, Thoughts, comments? Any other ideas?

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Assuming that's a legal spell for this game. Otherwise, I'm just going to pull from PHB.
I own almost all of the v.3.5 sourcebooks. I have all of the Complete Series, as well as the Race Series. I prefer that you not pick spells out of sourcebooks that are specific to Eberron or the Forgotten Realms. But, if such a spell made it into the Spell Compendium, then it would be fine.

(I don't have the Undead book; I did have it at one point, but I didn't really like it.)

I also use numerous OGL books including the Complete Book of Eldritch Might and several other key v.3.5 OGL sourcebooks, but you don't have to worry about having access to those books.

I own almost all of the v.3.5 sourcebooks. I have all of the Complete Series, as well as the Race Series. I prefer that you not pick spells out of sourcebooks that are specific to Eberron or the Forgotten Realms. But, if such a spell made it into the Spell Compendium, then it would be fine.

(I don't have the Undead book; I did have it at one point, but I didn't really like it.)

I also use numerous OGL books including the Complete Book of Eldritch Might and several other key v.3.5 OGL sourcebooks, but you don't have to worry about having access to those books.
I don’t know what source book it’s from. Channeled blast said it was complete mage. (Although I just noticed I used the wrong title for the spell in the heading)
I just found a list of 3.5 spells and sorted by school and then found a sonic one. I couldn’t load the page of a sonic 8d6 40foot radius AoE (shrieking blast) so I grabbed the cone instead. (Channeled blast). In future, I will probably just pull from the phb because tracking down all the spells can be like going down a rabbit hole!

There are good spells to be found around - try dndtools
Aha, thanks. Only 370 5th level spells.
@Knightfall

I found the spell, thanks to neurotic's advice and it is from 'Heroes of Battle'

Also, regarding teleport: I can only teleport 3 other people and the centaur counts as two so I wouldn't be able to take the whole party so it seems limited in its use. I'm just kind of looking for a useful utility spell that is unique to wizards.

Shadow evocation? I think Defenestrating sphere is 5th? At work now, I cannot check
Shadow evocation is illusion so it's a prohibited school. Defenestrating sphere is cool as it gives battlefield control.

I think I'm going to take:

(Savage Species)

Evocation [Sonic]
Level: Bard 5, Sorcerer 5, Wizard 5,
Components: V, S,
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area: 20-ft.-radius burst
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes

You cause a burst of low, discordant noise to erupt at the chosen location.
It deals 1d6 points of sonic damage per caster level (maximum 15d6) to all creatures within the area.
Cacophonic burst cannot penetrate the area of a silence spell.

But it's from savage species and maybe designed for monstrous PCs?

And now I'm waffling on two Old-School classics:

Break Enchantment​

(Player's Handbook v.3.5, p. 207)

Abjuration
Level: Trapsmith 3, Bard 4, Nentyar Hunter 4, Death Delver 4, Vigilante 4, Knight of the Weave 4, Paladin 4, Jester 5, Sha'ir 5, Cleric 5, Adept 5, Beguiler 5, Sorcerer 5, Wizard 5, Healer 5, Court Herald 5, Luck 5, Arborea 5, Liberation 5, Spell 5,
Components: V, S,
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: Up to one creature per level, all within 30 ft. of each other
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: No

This spell frees victims from enchantments, transmutations, and curses.
Break enchantment can reverse even an instantaneous effect, such as flesh to stone.
For each such effect, you make a caster level check (1d20 + caster level, maximum +15) against a DC of 11 + caster level of the effect.
Success means that the creature is free of the spell, curse, or effect.
For a cursed magic item, the DC is 25.
If the spell is one that cannot be dispelled by dispel magic, break enchantment works only if that spell is 5th level or lower.
For instance, bestow curse cannot be dispelled by dispel magic, but break enchantment can dispel it.
If the effect comes from some permanent magic item, such as a cursed sword, break enchantment does not remove the curse from the item, but it does frees the victim from the item's effects.
For example, a cursed item can change the alignment of its user.
Break enchantment allows the victim to be rid of the item and negates the alignment change, but the item's curse is intact and affects the next creature to pick up the item—
even if it's the recent recipient of the break enchantment spell.
and

Disintegrate​

(Player's Handbook v.3.5, p. 222)

Transmutation
Level: Duskblade 5, Sorcerer 6, Wizard 6, Warmage 6, Sha'ir 6, Wu Jen 7, Urban Druid 7, Destruction 7,
Components: V, S, M, DF,
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect: Ray
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial (object)
Spell Resistance: Yes

A thin, green ray springs from your pointing finger.
You must make a successful ranged touch attack to hit.
Any creature struck by the ray takes 2d6 points of damage per caster level (to a maximum of 40d6).
Any creature reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by this spell is entirely disintegrated, leaving behind only a trace of fine dust.
A disintegrated creature's equipment is unaffected.
When used against an object, the ray simply disintegrates as much as one 10-foot cube of nonliving matter.
Thus, the spell disintegrates only part of any very large object or structure targeted.
The ray affects even objects constructed entirely of force, such as Bigby's forceful hand or a wall of force, but not magical effects such as a globe of invulnerability or an antimagic field.
A creature or object that makes a successful Fortitude save is partially affected, taking only 5d6 points of damage.
If this damage reduces the creature or object to 0 or fewer hit points, it is entirely disintegrated.
Only the first creature or object struck can be affected; that is, the ray affects only one target per casting.
Arcane Material Component: A lodestone and a pinch of dust.
The latter is pretty awesome against undead.

There's a cool one that could break the demonic possession of Eike but I don't think Phar knew that people would be possessed by demons when he left Carnell so I have no in-story reason to have that spell.

Remove ads