• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kulan: Knightfall's Heroes of Carnell Game [OOC]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I think I'm going to take:

(Savage Species)

Evocation [Sonic]
Level: Bard 5, Sorcerer 5, Wizard 5,
Components: V, S,
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area: 20-ft.-radius burst
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes

You cause a burst of low, discordant noise to erupt at the chosen location.
It deals 1d6 points of sonic damage per caster level (maximum 15d6) to all creatures within the area.
Cacophonic burst cannot penetrate the area of a silence spell.

But it's from savage species and maybe designed for monstrous PCs?
There isn't any restriction on using that spell even though it's in Savage Species. (That's one of my favourite 3E books, BTW.)

TaranTheWanderer said:
And now I'm waffling on two Old-School classics:

Break Enchantment​

(Player's Handbook v.3.5, p. 207)

Abjuration
Level: Trapsmith 3, Bard 4, Nentyar Hunter 4, Death Delver 4, Vigilante 4, Knight of the Weave 4, Paladin 4, Jester 5, Sha'ir 5, Cleric 5, Adept 5, Beguiler 5, Sorcerer 5, Wizard 5, Healer 5, Court Herald 5, Luck 5, Arborea 5, Liberation 5, Spell 5,
Components: V, S,
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: Up to one creature per level, all within 30 ft. of each other
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: No

This spell frees victims from enchantments, transmutations, and curses.
Break enchantment can reverse even an instantaneous effect, such as flesh to stone.
For each such effect, you make a caster level check (1d20 + caster level, maximum +15) against a DC of 11 + caster level of the effect.
Success means that the creature is free of the spell, curse, or effect.
For a cursed magic item, the DC is 25.
If the spell is one that cannot be dispelled by dispel magic, break enchantment works only if that spell is 5th level or lower.
For instance, bestow curse cannot be dispelled by dispel magic, but break enchantment can dispel it.
If the effect comes from some permanent magic item, such as a cursed sword, break enchantment does not remove the curse from the item, but it does frees the victim from the item's effects.
For example, a cursed item can change the alignment of its user.
Break enchantment allows the victim to be rid of the item and negates the alignment change, but the item's curse is intact and affects the next creature to pick up the item—
even if it's the recent recipient of the break enchantment spell.
and

Disintegrate​

(Player's Handbook v.3.5, p. 222)

Transmutation
Level: Duskblade 5, Sorcerer 6, Wizard 6, Warmage 6, Sha'ir 6, Wu Jen 7, Urban Druid 7, Destruction 7,
Components: V, S, M, DF,
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect: Ray
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial (object)
Spell Resistance: Yes

A thin, green ray springs from your pointing finger.
You must make a successful ranged touch attack to hit.
Any creature struck by the ray takes 2d6 points of damage per caster level (to a maximum of 40d6).
Any creature reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by this spell is entirely disintegrated, leaving behind only a trace of fine dust.
A disintegrated creature's equipment is unaffected.
When used against an object, the ray simply disintegrates as much as one 10-foot cube of nonliving matter.
Thus, the spell disintegrates only part of any very large object or structure targeted.
The ray affects even objects constructed entirely of force, such as Bigby's forceful hand or a wall of force, but not magical effects such as a globe of invulnerability or an antimagic field.
A creature or object that makes a successful Fortitude save is partially affected, taking only 5d6 points of damage.
If this damage reduces the creature or object to 0 or fewer hit points, it is entirely disintegrated.
Only the first creature or object struck can be affected; that is, the ray affects only one target per casting.
Arcane Material Component: A lodestone and a pinch of dust.
The latter is pretty awesome against undead.

There's a cool one that could break the demonic possession of Eike but I don't think Phar knew that people would be possessed by demons when he left Carnell so I have no in-story reason to have that spell.
It's up to you to pick the spells you want to add to Phar's spellbook. Let's make it three instead of two new 5th-level spells.

Not quite true, he had an experience with that elf mage we freed from possession/curse
I think this was it...not really sure it's as useful as I thought...

Dispel Possession​

(Ghostwalk)

Abjuration [Ectomancy]
Level: Bard 4, Cleric 5, Sorcerer 5, Wizard 5,
Components: V, S, M, DF,
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

You force a being that is possessing a creature out of its host body.
The possessor acts as if it had left its host voluntarily (a ghost appears next to the host, a person using magic jar returns to its receptacle if in range or dies if it is not, and so on).
Alternatively, this spell may be used as a form of dispel magic to dispel a charm, dominate, or similar effect on a target.
Material Component: powered silver worth 1 gp.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Alright, I'm back and catching up. I love the encounter with the pregnant snake, and (not surprisingly after so long) you knew exactly what Caerth would do, @Knightfall .

Having said that...

PCs get 413 XP total as if they defeated the giant constrictor snake plus and group ad hoc bonus of 100 XP each for letting the snake go. Caerth gets an extra 50 XP for healing the snake.

So, 168 XP for each PC, but Caerth gets 218 XP.

(Aureus gets 2/3rds what the PCs get.)

XP totals are getting close to being enough for 12th level for Angus, Caerth, and Maur. Phar and Quinn aren't far behind.
... it feels wrong for me to accept additional XP for actions I (as a player) did not take. Is is possible to return it, or to distribute among everyone?

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Alright, I'm back and catching up. I love the encounter with the pregnant snake, and (not surprisingly after so long) you knew exactly what Caerth would do, @Knightfall .

Having said that...

... it feels wrong for me to accept additional XP for actions I (as a player) did not take. Is is possible to return it, or to distribute among everyone?
Nice of you, but there will be other times when we'll have to be auto-played and still our build and skills and powers can make a difference.
Take it, just in case :p

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM

Having said that...

That's fine. I'll remove the extra XP if you really want me too.

EDIT: I'll distribute it to everyone. Making the bonus XP 60, so that means everyone gets 178 instead of 168. Aureus gets 118 instead of 112.

Last edited:

Remove ads