[LPF] Bats in the Belfry

sunshadow21

Explorer
Starting to get annoyed, Ausk moves closer to the boat while putting his crossbow away in an attempt to get closer to the action.

[sblock=actions]Move 30' (double move) down the edge of the canal towards the boat that should put him one square above the blob on the vertical axis.[/sblock]
 

log in or register to remove this ad

Aldern Foxglove

First Post
The dolphin keens loudly in pain and attempts to strike at its shrouded foe.

Hearing his allies pain, and conscious of the halfing's plight Izzik decides that he must act again and calls, "Good job Flipsey, Keykey get it!" As he summons a second celestial dolphin causing Flipsey to fade out back to his home.

Keykey appears and streaks through the water at the blurry foe letting out a screeching battle cry as she evokes her powers to cast judgment upon evil! The creatures concealment is no match for a dolphins echo location which allows Keykey to pierce the murk and find her foe - probably.


[sblock=Actions]Izzik delays until after Flipsey. Flipsey attacks. Izzik moves up and uses his standard action to use his SM1 ability (6/8 uses remaining) again which "immediately ends" Flipsey's summon. Keykey then charges the thing.[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]HM an 11 does actually hit Flipsey as I had him charge - hence the +7 to hit. I'll alter my post if he's killed or incapacitated in some way. Missed out high is good ext on Keykey's misschance roll, but that was my intent so she misses - for the record I always want high as good unless a DM dictates otherwise.

Edit: Aha! Dolphins have Blindsight 120 feet! "This ability is similar to blindsense, but is far more discerning. Using non-visual senses, such as sensitivity to vibrations, keen smell, acute hearing, or echolocation, a creature with blindsight maneuvers and fights as well as a sighted creature. Invisibility, darkness, and most kinds of concealment are irrelevant". So the miss chance may well not apply.[/sblock]

[sblock=Celestial Dolphin]
Init +2; Senses darkvision 60 ft., blindsight 120ft; Perception +9
DEFENSES
AC 11, touch 10, flat-footed 9 (+2 Dex, +1 natural, -2 charge)
hp 15 [2d8+6]
Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +1
SR 5
Celestial - Resist Acid, Cold, and Electricity 5
OFFENSE
Speed swim 80 ft.
Melee slam +5 [1d4+3]
Special Attacks Smite evil
STATISTICS
Str 16, Dex 15, Con 17, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 6
Base Atk +1; CMB +4; CMD 16
Feats Weapon Finesse
Skills Perception +9, Swim +13; Racial Modifiers +4 Perception
SPECIAL ABILITIES
Smite evil/good 1/day as a swift action +0 to hit, +2 damage vs. evil foes.[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

udalrich

First Post
Syldar continues moving around the boat. As she clears the front of the boat, she sees the ink spot. "Nothing on the surface? I wonder what could be there, " she says. She then reaches into a pouch and pulls out a pat of butter.

[sblock="Knowledge check"]What is likely to be in the canal that would leave an ink spot on the surface? My guess is something like an octopus or squid, that is probably grappling the halfling. The knowledge check (assuming the dice roller works) is to see if Syldar knows something like that. [/sblock]

[sblock="Actions"]Move: move right 30 feet.
Std: Ready to cast grease on the halfling if he appears while grappled.
Free: If the knowledge check reveals anything useful, tell everyone else
[/sblock]
 

Otakkun

Explorer
Xan's Eidolon will move next to Flipsey and ready an attack against anything that attacks him or the dolphin.

Xan just stays there with his crossbow readied in case he gets a good shot, though so far it seems unlikely.
 

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Combat Over

Flipsey's second attack causes the unseen foe to rethink it's dinner selection and it releases the halfling. As Xan's eidolon swims around the boat to cut it off the creature decides to retreat.

Everyone on the walk way above the canal can see what looks like a long thin displacement of the dark water, as the creature jets away from the boat.

"Hmmm," Slydar wonders out loud. "I guess it was an octopus after all."

The surface of the water near the dark "stain" erupts as the halfling gondolier struggles to tread water.

"Oi! Frizio, I told you that you can't swim. So what are you doing?" a halfling in the boat asks.

[sblock=Combat]
Code:
Character       AC  HP  InHand/Condition
Syldar          16   8  l.bow/none
Ausk            14  11  ???/none
Mia             ??  ??  c.bow/none
Xan             ??  ??  ???/ready
Izzik           ??  ??  ???/none
Xan's eidolon   ??  ??  na/none
enemy           15   [COLOR=Yellow]5[/COLOR]  halfling/none
[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

sunshadow21

Explorer
Ausk calls out, "If anybody has rope, now would be a good time to use it," as he accepts the fact that there is probably nothing further he can do beyond providing updates to those on the other side of the canal. Alf, seeing his master relax, promptly returns to his pouch and goes back to sleep.

[sblock=actions]Continue to provide updates and information to others, while securing his weapons, and hoping that someone can help the halfling in the water, because he sure can't.[/sblock]
 

Aldern Foxglove

First Post
Izzik calls a thanks to the dolphin, but dismisses it once the halflings look to have things in hand.

"Just need a minute now folks, I need to call Aressa back. Here kitty, kitty, kitty... only joking." The summoner says before his voice changes and he begins to chant in a deep sonorous voice, the words unclear almost extended syllables which echo oddly. As the chants continues a blue V shaped rune flickers upon Izzik's forehead and finally takes hold as Aressa appears before him.

"Oh joy, you brought me back here again. I was so missing the lousy company, and fetid stench of a city that thinks the terms canal and sewer are interchangable."
The Sphinx says snarkily.

"I missed you to!" Izzik says ruffling her hair fondly and turning his back upon the fang filled snarl that results from this.

[sblock=OOC]Takes 1 minute to summon Aressa. So Izzik will nods and give thumbs up to any decisions while chanting, etc. He leaves the dolphin in play for a few rounds before beginning in the hope that it will help the halfling on natural dolphin instinct - surely celestial dolphins are even more helpful?[/sblock]
 

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Celestial dolphins are indeed more helpful than their material plane cousins, as everyone sees KeyKey help the halfling towards the small boat. Once hoisted onto the craft the dolphin "kitters" at Izzik before fading away.

Everyone makes their way back onto the bridge and they watch as the halflings pole their boat towards it. As the bow of the boat slips under it the soaking wet halfling, shivering in the middle, looks up at the group. Suddenly his face becomes one of recognition as if he just remembered something.

Reaching into his coat pocket he brings forth what looks like a green rock. Quickly before going under the bridge he tosses it up towards the group. Ausk catches the stone and everyone hears a teeth chattering "Th..th...Thank you!" come from under the bridge.

Opening his big hand Ausk holds the green stone in the palm, the small lights hovering nearby causing it to sparkle.

[sblock=Rewards]
Experience -
Octopus CR 1: 400XP / 5 players = 80 xp each

Treasure
-
gem stone: value unknown (at this time) [/sblock]
 

sunshadow21

Explorer
"That was certainly interesting. You folks wouldn't happen to know close the Dunn Wright Inn is from here, would you? I think I'm going the right way, but it's hard to say for sure in the dark with all these canals." Ausk comments as he watches the halflings continue down the canal."Nice trick with the dolphins, by the way; I was afraid I was going to have to get in there myself."
 
Last edited:

udalrich

First Post
"Ooh, pretty," sighs Syldar as she looks at the stone. The lights fly up to the bridge and circle around the group, causing the gem to sparkle.

[sblock="Appraise"]Syldar is not trained in appraise, but she'll aid another if someone else want to try. The aiding may in fact be properly positioning the lights.[/sblock]

After a moment, she pulls her attention away from the stone. "The Dunn Wright is back that way a bit," she says, pointing back toward the inn. "However, it seems to be a dangerous night. You may want to travel with us. We'll be going back there once we figure out the problem at the belfry."
 
Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases

Top