[LPF] From Whence None Return

jbear

First Post
[sblock=OOC] @Systole Hey mate, when do you think you will get a chance to move this along? Just to mentalise (it helps me be patient :p ; it goes without saying thank you again for picking up where SK left off, its very much appreciated). [/sblock]

Systole

First Post
The curtain collapses into a heap of rotting fabric and dust as soon as it's touched by the celestial tigers. After the cloud settles and your vision clears, a throne room comes into view. It's an odd sort of throne room, however, as there is not one but three different thrones. And seated on the three thrones are three different desiccated corpses, dressed in scraps of wizard robes and with dried papery skin stretched tight across their bones. All three clutch an ornate staff in their skeletal hands, and stir as you approach. They look identical -- as far as skeletons go, anyway -- except for the color of their robes.

The tigers sniff the air but look bad to Maui and shakes their heads in unison. There's nothing living here, and the only smells are death and dust, which are too strong for the tigers to smell anything else.

The westernmost lich, dressed in something that might have been red, swivels to face you. "Finally, someone has reached the end of my lair," comes a voice from the general vicinity of its jaw. "Seeking my staff, no doubt. Not that your reasons matter. I would welcome any end to this torment." says the easternmost lich, clad in green. The northern lich, in blue, shakes its head, "If I had only know what it would cost me when I built this dungeon."

All three of the undead rise in unison and present their staffs. "Choose wisely. Solve the riddle. End my curse."

Three undead illusionists holding three staffs, apparently offering no resistance. Somehow, it just seems too easy.

necropolis5.jpg

[sblock=OOC]Sorry about the delay. I've been busy during the week and gone during the weekends.

You are currently about 30' from any of the thrones. I'll get a map up later this week.[/sblock][sblock=Lem]There are suspicious looking panels in front of all three thrones -- some type of trap, probably. It would require a closer look to determine if any of them are false or deactivated.[/sblock][sblock=Menik]There's a trap in front of the westernmost lich. Looks like a pressure plate that triggers something nasty from the ceiling.[/sblock]

jbear

First Post
Maui offers a tremendous roar as his reply. It is a good thing that he was not in human form, as the word he had spoken was the worst possible word he could think of and not fit to be heard in any sort of company, not even the lowest sort. His indignation that there is not only one leech but three at the end of their quest is such that he does however forget that he is in feline form completely. A stream of growl and accusing hisses stream from his mouth in what result to the ear as completely intelligible cat nonsense. His gestures become very human (apart from the tail swishing), pointing of clawed fingers, shaking of balled up paws and stamping of feet. At one point he even stands up on his two hind legs and folds his arms, looking away in complete disgust.

At that point his balance almost goes and he realises what he is doing and that no one has understood a thing. He drops back down to a properly fitting feline stance and lowers his head, tail swishing as he awaits the others to respond. As far as he was concerned these liches were pulling his tail. They had spoken no riddle that he had heard, but yet they want them to solve one. The nerve! And when they were back in Vezna and he saw the old git who had sent them here assuring them there were no leeches ...

[sblock=OOC] Did Maui spot the same trap as Menik. His perception roll was 1 point higher than Menik's.
If the riddle consists of divining which of the three liches is the real one, my gut tells me the Blue one. I have very little to back that up with. [/sblock]

Last edited:

jkason

First Post
Weel Naxel, aasimar oracle

"Riddles!" Weel all but cheers. "We had one of those before, with the floor that got thirsty and everything. What's your riddle?" the planestouched young man asks.

[sblock=mini-stats]Weel Naxel

Initiative: +1
AC: 21 (23 w/ Magic Vestment) Current: 28
HP:85 Current: 82 (14 NL damage)
Senses: Perception 8, Sense Motive 2
CMB: +12 CMD: 23 Fort: +7
Reflex: +6 Current +7
Will: +9
Spell Resistance: 15 vs. evil descriptor / evil outsiders

Conditions:
* Magic Vestment (8 hours)
* Iron Weapon (8 minutes)
* Lead Blades (8 minutes), damage bump to 3d6 on Greatsword
* Shield of Faith (9 minutes), +3 deflection to AC.
* Levitate (9 minutes, 900 lbs)
* Haste (+1 AC & Ref, attack, extra attack on full, +30' move)
* Keen Edge (Greatsword crit on 17-20)

In Hand: Iron Weapon (Greatsword)

Common Attacks:

(Cold) Iron Weapon Options Attack: +13/+08
Damage (Greatsword): 2d6+8, Crit: 19-20/x2, S
Damage (Halberd): 1d10+8, Crit: x3, P or S, brace, trip
Damage (Earthbreaker): 2d6+8, Crit: x3, B
Damage (Lucerne Hammer): 1d12+8, Crit: x2, B or P, brace, reach

Conditional: -2/+4 (+6 2H) Power Attack
Furious Focus negates 1st attack penalty for 2H
+1 attack if moving at least 10' during turn

Iron Weapon (9 minutes, +1 cold iron): 5/6 Remaining
Bracer auto take 10: 1/1 remaining
Spells: Orisons (DC 13): Create Water, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Ghost Sound, Light, Mage Hand, Mending, Purify Food and Drink, Read Magic, Spark, Stabilize
1st (3/7 remaining)(DC 14): Cure Light Wounds, Obscuring Mist, Lead Blades, Liberating Command, Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith, Sun Metal
2nd (6/7 remaining)(DC 15): Align Weapon, Cure Moderate Wounds, Grace, Groundswell, Heat Metal, Levitate, Make Whole, Minor Image, Shatter, Silence
3rd (2/7 remaining)(DC 16): Cure Serious Wounds, Dispel Magic, Keen Edge, Locate Object, Magic Vestment, Stone Shape
4th (5/5 remaining)(DC 17): Blessing of Fervor, Cure Critical Wounds, Freedom of Movement, Versatile Weapon
5th (2/3 remaining)(DC 18): Cure Light Wounds mass, Major Creation (metal only), Telekinesis, Wall of Stone. [/sblock]

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
"Each of the thrones has a pressure plate in front of them. Traps, no doubt, though I can't tell which might be activated or deactivated. I'm wondering if the wrong choice causes the trap to go off, while the correct pressure plate has a deactivated trap with it." Lem considers each of the liches in turn.

jbear

First Post
Maui wanted to bite something and take the staff and leave this god forsaken place. He had had it with traps and riddles. With a growl he sent one of the tigers padding forward to stand in front of the green lich. If there was a trap it was better that the tiger take the brunt of it rather than one of his companions.

Systole

First Post
The tiger looks dubiously at Maui, but obediently walks onto the pressure plate. To no one's surprise, a blast of dark energy erupts from the green throne, enveloping the tiger as it tries to twist out of the way. It growls in pain and retreats, the extraplanar stuff from which it is made looking transparent and insubstantial in spots.

The green lich seems unharmed by the blast and betrays no emotion. "You have chosen ... poorly," it says. The northern lich, in blue, says "Listen: I cast no shadow. I will bite the hand that feeds me. I will die cold and hungry, or else be drowned. What am I?"

necropolis5.jpg

[sblock=OOC]Negative energy trap. It's quite lovely and refreshing if you're undead.

jbear and kinem, check your inboxes.[/sblock]

Remove ads