D&D 5E Mid- to high-level Wildshape [Moon Druids]

CapnZapp

Legend
Moon Druids decent level 2,6, 9 and 10 and usually not to based the the other levels.
Another way to say this is that wildshape is relatively unimpressive at other levels, which basically end up being levels 12-17.

Changing that is what this thread is about :)

I kind of like it that the Land Druid is probably the better Druid at high levels as the Moon Druids shapes become less good.
Then you're in the wrong thread, my friend :)

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Maybe, just like elemental form, give your player a small list of shape to use within the CR ballpark you desire (use two wildshapes, maybe shorter duration if necessary)

- Gorgon CR5
- Chimera CR6
- Umber hulk CR5
- Young remorhaz CR5
- Wyvern CR6

this should keep the shifting interesting for a time :p

Ovarwa

Explorer
Hi,

Variant Moon Druid:

Level 6 class feature is now the following:

Bestial Nature

Your mystical connection to the natural world grants you knowledge of all animals in your game world, even if you have never encountered or heard of them. You double your proficiency bonus on any skill roll related to animals. You automatically know enough about animals to know their typical statistics and abilities and to wildshape into any of them.

You can expend a spell of level 1 or greater to wildshape, even if you are already in a wildshape. This works exactly like a normal wildshape, except as follows:

* You can do this as a reaction to anything
* It does not count against your normal uses of wildshape
* You get a bonus to AC and to attack rolls equal to the level of the spell you expended
* You get temporary HP equal to 10x the level of the spell you expended
* Your attacks are considered magic

Level 10: As before. In addition, your attacks in wildshape are magic (previous level 6 ability). You cannot expend a spell to wildshape into an elemental.

Level 14: As before. In addition, you can expend a spell to wildshape into an elemental.
---

This scales as you level. You get more uses of wildshape as your spellcasting improves, and these uses gain increasing bonuses as you gain higher level spells.

Anyway,

Ken

S'mon

Legend
My experience having seen a Moon Druid play from 1-18 is that they are overpowered at low level ca 2-6, and somewhat overpowered when they get elemental forms, but well balanced at ca 14-18 when their beast & elemental forms get less impressive compared to their full-progression spellcasting. I definitely don't think they need a power up, so I suggest more CR 1-6 beast forms and maybe more elemental forms that cost 2 wildshapes at CR 1-5. If you give them higher CR forms they should lose out in other areas and certainly should not get unlimited wildshape at level 20.

CapnZapp

Legend
at ca 14-18 when their beast & elemental forms get less impressive compared to their full-progression spellcasting
How can it be a power-up to give them something that encourages them to stay in wild shape, when that keeps them out of the high-power spellcasting...?

PS. Remember Beast Spells specifies beasts, so it's not as if I'm granting the druid the power to stay in Monstrosity form and cast spells. DS

S'mon

Legend
How can it be a power-up to give them something that encourages them to stay in wild shape, when that keeps them out of the high-power spellcasting...?

Obviously Wild Shape is an option that gives various advantages. At higher level the main one I see is that it is used to make the Druid very hard to kill. Druids in natural form tend to be squishy; when the PCs are ambushed it can be a smart move for the Druid to cast a spell then bonus action Wildshape to a robust form that can suck up the large amounts of incoming damage. I've seen a Druid ca 12th level omit to do that then be taken to 0 hp right away. Which is a problem when multi-attack monsters then use their extra attacks to coup de gras the fallen.

CapnZapp

Legend
Obviously Wild Shape is an option that gives various advantages. At higher level the main one I see is that it is used to make the Druid very hard to kill.
I don't deny this. However, this thread is about changing that. Or rather, instead of viewing wildshape as "just" a big bag of hit points, I want to restore wildshape as a source of cool attacks. :)

Remove ads