• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Moment of Glory

filthgrinder

First Post
I don't really think it's over powered, but it is really strong if played right. If you are using MM3 and MV1&2 monsters with the new monster damage and math, I don't see it as a problem. It'll give them the edge in one encounter. One encounter where they are all bunched up together. Also, it costs the cleric a minor action to keep it going as well.

As for "tricking" the player out who might forget to declare he's sustaining it, I guess it's a question of style. I normally DM for a group of friends, and the idea of the game is to have fun and hang out together. So, in that case if he or she didn't use their minor action and wanted to go back and say they sustained it, I'd let them get away with it, and just tell them to make a note so they remembered. If they used their minor action and then changed their mind. I might like it go once, and then tell them to keep better track. Normally the rest of the group would get on them as well. It's a friendly game, and despite the "appearance", I'm not the adversary here.

Raikun

First Post
I really don't see the need for nerfing this one. It approaches borderline "too good" at really low levels, but even with first level characters it's just not hard to build encounters that can handily overcome DR 5. There are level 2 brutes that do 2d6+6 or 3d6+6 damage.

the Jester

Legend
Hmmm...

How many of you folks saying "This needs to be banned or nerfed!" are also in the "The player shouldn't have to explicitly state that he's sustaining on his turn, every turn" camp?

There may be some level of correlation.

Making the players responsible for their actions is hardly "being a jerk". I am so with jimmifett here that it's ridiculous. I do the same thing with every other "sustain x" power. I will say something like, "You still have a minor action, you going to do anything with it?" But once your turn is over and we've moved on, if you forgot- oops, your bad!

S'mon

Legend
Hmmm...

How many of you folks saying "This needs to be banned or nerfed!" are also in the "The player shouldn't have to explicitly state that he's sustaining on his turn, every turn" camp?

There may be some level of correlation.

Yes, I'm in both camps.

It's not the DM's job to play mind games with the players.
It's not the DM's job to build encounters around 1 Daily power.

Both of those are bad approaches IMO.

Mapache

Explorer
The best way to deal with this power is to kill the Cleric. You're sustaining the obvious magical effect that's protecting your whole party? You get focus-fired. Even with Resist 5 all and your Healing Words, you're going down in two rounds. Then the defender gets to have fun when monsters violate his marks, and everybody has a hectic, fast-paced race of a fight. It's sound tactics and leads to good gameplay.

keterys

First Post
The problem is mostly at level 1 and 2, where resist 5 all can halve enemy output. Or even lower, depending on number of minions (who will do no damage) and multiattacking enemies - swarms, for example.

If it were a level 5 power, I doubt it'd actually get complained about nearly as much - though it's still a big swing even at that level.

Mapache

Explorer
The problem is mostly at level 1 and 2, where resist 5 all can halve enemy output.

Hmm, let's actually work this out. Let's say a typical 5-person party vs a level one encounter with five level one monsters. They have +6 to hit vs AC and do an average of 9 damage. A level one Cleric in chain will have a 16 AC, So the monsters hit 55% of the time, doing a net 4 damage each. That's 11 expected damage a round to start. Let's give him a middling Con of 12 or 14, so that's 23-25 hit points, or just over two rounds of survival without interference. If we drop one monster a round, reducing incoming damage by 2.2 points a round and spend a healing word each of the first two rounds for about 14 hit points, then there's no real chance of downing the cleric. So, yes, at low levels it can trivialize one even-level encounter a day.

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
You have to hit level 7 to find a single minion that does more than 5 damage in MM1, level 8 in MM2, even in MM3 does it take lvl 7 to find minions capable of doing more than 5 damage (except for cave fishers).
With MV, you can get above it at lvl 4, with MV:TNV at level 7.

Thus, MoG removes minions from having any purpose throughout much of heroic tier, other than maybe providing flanking for non-minions. The party can effectively ignore an unlimited amount of minions, even if they crit, until they can do more than 5 damage.

Nothing says "waste of encounter" better than walking into the BBEG's throne room where he shouts "Guards!" than to have 8-12 minions flippantly whacking at the PCs with foam weapons while party surrounds the BBEG (an elite) and 1-2 of his lieutenants and stab them to death. They can then loot the place at thier leisure, with the minions whacking them the whole way. Completely pointless battle. After 1 or 2 occurances of this, the DM will stop using minions alogether, whats the point of them?

This has happened several times.

Ongoing damage is also near completely ignorable throughout much of the heroic tier.

I'm not going to ban a player from having this broketastic "I win" power, but they are damned sure going to be responsible for maintaining it EVERY round.

Now, if I wanted to "fix it", I'd change it to resist 2/all. Increased to resist 3/all at 6th lvl, and resist 5/all at 11th.

Remove ads