TSR Now it’s WotC’s Turn: WotC Moves Against TSR3

I guess after you provoke somebody enough, they’ll eventually bite back. The company has begun trademark cancellation procedures against the newest TSR. TSR3 briefly filed for a court declaration on Dec 7th as to their ownership of the TSR trademarks — with an IndieGoGo campaign to fund it — and then voluntarily dismissed it a couple of days later on Dec 9th. This filing is dated Dec 6th...

I guess after you provoke somebody enough, they’ll eventually bite back. The company has begun trademark cancellation procedures against the newest TSR.

TSR3 briefly filed for a court declaration on Dec 7th as to their ownership of the TSR trademarks — with an IndieGoGo campaign to fund it — and then voluntarily dismissed it a couple of days later on Dec 9th.

This filing is dated Dec 6th, the day before TSR3 launched its campaign.

In WotC’s response, they cite fraud as one of the causes of action, alleging that TSR3 misled the trademark office in its original application.

Mike Dunford, on Twitter, breaks down the action.

4E621D4D-651A-4F27-B77F-CA7A222BDB91.png

3DC0A545-5258-45D3-A925-CF0D2B78ECF8.jpeg

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I finally got around to watching that Tenkar vid where he’s talking to the lawyer.

Something that he brought up- the possibility of perjury in their applications to the USTPO- has not really been looked at. Just briefly, if he lied to the USTPO, he could face up to 5 years in prison as a penalty under 18 U.S. Code § 1001.
(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, whoever, in any matter within the jurisdiction of the executive, legislative, or judicial branch of the Government of the United States, knowingly and willfully—
(1) falsifies, conceals, or covers up by any trick, scheme, or device a material fact;
(2) makes any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation; or
(3) makes or uses any false writing or document knowing the same to contain any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or entry;
shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years or, if the offense involves international or domestic terrorism (as defined in section 2331), imprisoned not more than 8 years, or both. If the matter relates to an offense under chapter 109A, 109B, 110, or 117, or section 1591, then the term of imprisonment imposed under this section shall be not more than 8 years.

I finally got around to watching that Tenkar vid where he’s talking to the lawyer.

Something that he brought up- the possibility of perjury in their applications to the USTPO- has not really been looked at. Just briefly, if he lied to the USTPO, he could face up to 5 years in prison as a penalty under 18 U.S. Code § 1001.

Yeah, not to mention the fact he filed for trademarks AFTER getting a cease-and-desist... talk about getting caught red-handed.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist

I mean yes, but also ... no.

It's not that perjury never happens in civil matters, but ...

It almost never happens, and there's no way you're going to lock someone up for five years on this. As much as they might deserve it.

Courts, unfortunately, rarely dole out karmic retribution, and you'll usually just have to settle for money.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I'm waiting to see if Grits Lasagna tries to file paperwork to change the DHS Museum to a non-profit while claiming it's always been a non-profit. Because I do not think that will go well for him at all.

Well, given that this has massive ramifications with both the state and the feds (501(c)(3) status), this would be an ... interesting .... choice, especially given LaNasa's apparent disdain for proper paperwork.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads