D&D 5E (OOC) Rise of the Dracolich (Full)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Okay, good news and bad news.

GREAT NEWS is that the Dracolich did not yet recharge his breath weapon.

Of course, the BAD NEWS is his ice-fort is filled with obscuring, hazardous terrain. Specifically Heavy Obscurement. I don't know if the EYE can see through that. If not, Primus can still TP everyone on top of the SPINE (either on that white square or the lighter gray stuff near the eye). The Dracolich itself will have plunged into obscurement (consider the blueish ice-walls to be the limits of the obscurement). So no TPing anyone directly adjacent, but they can jump down into the area themselves (though it's so cold you'll take damage - AND you'll be effectively blind. Even the lights won't pierce that dense fog.) Still, you'd still be able to attack, just with disadvantage. Staying on the ridge and shooting into the fog will work too, still at disadvantage.

Doesn't everyone wish that Lorenn knew Gust of Wind?

The other good news is that Primus can see everyone, I think (I mean, obviously not Mord or the Trolls or anything) but even Alhana is in line-of-sight of him (she can just be seen around the higher shelf, in Loklafd's torch-light). Sesto's light, and even Lorenn's Sphere keep everyone else in view, too.

Any questions? I assume we're all gonna let @tglassy Primus go first and teleport everyone, even if they're busy fighting, right?

tglassy

Adventurer
Question:

Primus can activate an ability to see through solid objects. This allows him to see through up to one foot of solid objects. Would this allow him to see the dragon if everyone were on the spine?

Second: he can also give himself Truesight for a bit. Would that let him see the dragon?

He can also give himself tremorsense. Same question?

If any of those can work, I can teleport everyone with an action, and activate special vision with a bonus action. Then at least he can hit the dang dragon.

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Is there any indication for mord that the dragon is on the southern side of the ridge? Looks like he's at the point where he could choose to go south and maybe even see the ice wall if he does. I just don't want to metagame it.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Q1: Primus can activate an ability to see through solid objects. This allows him to see through up to one foot of solid objects. Would this allow him to see the dragon if everyone were on the spine?
Q2: he can also give himself Truesight for a bit. Would that let him see the dragon?
Q3: He can also give himself tremorsense. Same question?

Q1: The fog is a LOT of small solid objects. If it lets you see through 1 foot of solid objects, then you can see through one foot of the fog. Not very useful, as it's many feet thick. I don't think you'd want your face less than a foot away from the dragon.
Q2: That'd work.
Q3: That works while he's on the ground. Not so much if he starts to fly. Also, the berg constantly creaks and vibrates, so there'd be a lot of background "noise".

Is there any indication for mord that the dragon is on the southern side of the ridge? Looks like he's at the point where he could choose to go south and maybe even see the ice wall if he does. I just don't want to metagame it.

He's not being quiet, but there's a lot more noise coming from the trolls and the skraggs fighting all over the place. I'd say that if you went first, then no, but if you wait until chaos erupts after Primus teleports the others, then I think there would be reason enough for him to head south.

BUT... I have neglected to mention that the spine-ridge is not stable, nor is it "flat". The adventure says:

"Unlike other ledges in the cavern, the horizontal surfaces of the Icewolfā€™s Spine arenā€™t level. The denizens of the lair can traverse the ledges without difficulty, but any other creature that moves more than 15 feet during a round must make a DC 12 Dexterity (Acrobatics) check. Failure indicates that the creature loses its footing and falls to the next level below, taking 3 (1d6) bludgeoning damage and landing prone. Wearing crampons grants advantage on this check."

(Mord probably moved further last round, but we'll say that it gets more treacherous as you move west).

FitzTheRuke

Legend
@Ancalagon My notes had Kalorn at 2/5 THP. I assume that was supposed to be 12/15. He took 3 damage from sharp ice after casting Armour of Agathys. So he should have 10 more HP than I had him at, but unfortunately, AoA does Cold damage. The Skraggs are immune.

While looking back at it, I found this little tidbit: "Lorenn grabbed four scrolls: gaseous form, haste, water breathing, and disintegrate."

Prickly Pear

Adventurer
Are we all happy to be teleported on top of the dragon with risk of falling off into the icy death of his lair?
Are we asking for a TPK?
Sesto usually don't have much success with his athletic or acrobatic skill checks.

If we're all happy then I will wait with my actions. I guess Sesto is up for a surprise finding himself on the dragons back!

Remove ads