D&D 5E (OOC) Rise of the Dracolich (Full)

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
All right!

A few comments/questions

1: I hope that it is possible for Primus not to have us all clumped in a tight bunch (I'm pretty sure that Primus would think of this!)

2: Alhanna can ignore cover and 3/4 cover. Does the fog count as cover?

3: Am I doing Alhanna or Lorenn this round?

3b: If I'm not using Alhanna, I note that the grasping arrow power would be really good right now. The save DC isn't great, but the dragon has to take an action to get said save...

edit: does anyone have a way to grant us advantage to counter the fog effect, or remove the fog or something?

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
A few comments/questions:

Answers!

Q1: I hope that it is possible for Primus not to have us all clumped in a tight bunch (I'm pretty sure that Primus would think of this!)

A1: Pick a square within 40 feet of Primus' Eye (AP50). Then you can move. At some point I will do the dragon's turn. I tend to imagine everything happening simultaneously, but I also tend to do movement first.

Q2: Alhanna can ignore cover and 3/4 cover. Does the fog count as cover?

A2: The last few editions of D&D use Cover and Concealment/Obscurement as two different things. Cover is from solid objects (including other people). 3/4 cover is when you are mostly behind something solid. Total Cover is when you're completely behind solid objects. From above the dragon on the ridge, depending on where you are exactly, there's no cover. Unfortunately, there is Heavy Obscurement from the fog. This means, you can't properly see the target. Attacks have disadvantage when you can't see. There's another thing, that has to do with knowing what "space" the target is in when you can't see it, but I'm allowing you to ignore that at the moment (from Loklafd's light, the fact that it's not hiding, it's making noise, AND I've put it on the map, so there's that...). So targeting it is fine, but there's disadvantage.

Q3: Am I doing Alhanna or Lorenn this round?
A3: Sure. Or pick one, and someone else volunteer for the other.

Q4: Does anyone have a way to grant us advantage to counter the fog effect, or remove the fog or something?
A4: I've been wondering that myself, and I don't think so. The best way, as I see it, would be to blow it all away with something like Gust of Wind. There should be other ways to get advantage, though...

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Unfortunately, the only idea I had was to destroy the ice walls and see if the fog fades out or moves on it's own. But if it's magical in nature, forget about it. Also, Mord's shatter spell was out of range to be used and I couldn't be sure he'd even be able to use it against both dragon and wall without being able to see the point of impact. That said, Mord should be able to at least target the dragon next turn.

tglassy

Adventurer
One of my main problems is that everything I can do requires sight (which I can counter by spending another 5 points of the 18 I have left), and everything I can do requires saves, which the dragon can choose to succeed on. We need to wear away it’s Legendary Resistance before I can go Nova. Even then, if i have to use my Truesight power, then I can only “go nova” twice before I’m out of juice.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
It's been a tough fight, that's for sure. Far tougher (and more of a pain) than I expected it to be. Still, I'd like to get it done. I'd hate to give up.

Prickly Pear

Adventurer
The only thing Sesto can do to give anyone advantage is using Guiding Bolt. That provides advantage for the next attack but it is provided the Bolt hits, which is not easy with disadvantage for Sesto.

Other things that can help is:
  • Bless; 1d4 to attack rolls and saving throws, concentration.
  • Protection from Evil and Good; attack has disadvantage on one creature, + can't be frightened etc, concentration.
  • Blindness/Deafness; Con save by dragon every turn but has disadvantage on attacks and whatnot.
  • Enhance Ability; for example... adv Con saves which is good against breath weapon, up to 3 people, concentration.
  • Silence; Don't think this will slow the dragon in any way...
  • Beacon of Hope; adv on Wis saves and Death saves, and max healing, concentration.
  • Bestow Curse; Wis save for dragon or be cursed, such as wis save to loose its action, concentration.
  • Banihment; ...
  • Guardian of Faith; may deal up to 60HP damage (10 or 20 HP damage depending on a save and has to be within 10' of the guardian). I don't think it will stay there very long.
  • Channel Divinity - Turn Undead; wis save to be frightened for 1 min or until it takes damage. Not very useful since we want to kill it.
  • Death Ward; when you hit 0Hp, you will instead have 1HP. Maybe good for Sesto so he can continue to heal people.
What's best of all these? I could throw a few Blindness/Deafness at the dragon, which it might choose to ignore and thereby using up his resistance but that might take a few rounds.

I was thinking that Sesto will do what Kalorn is doing. First cast Spirit Guardians and then go in close and whack the dragon with Spiritual Weapon (still active) plus Inflict Wounds or his mace (I wonder if the dragon is vulnerable to bludgeon damage like smelliest are?).

Any suggestions?

Prickly Pear

Adventurer
Bestow Curse is a 3rd level spell and the dragon can choose to succeed if it fails the save. Expensive way to use up legendary resistance.
Sesto's Spell Slots: 4/4 2/3 2/3 1/2 .

tglassy

Adventurer
If we have the spell slots to spare, which I know we probably don’t, we need to get that legendary resistance down. Using an ability when we know he has legendary Resistance isn’t wasting it, it’s whittling down his defenses.

Remove ads