D&D 5E (OOC) Rise of the Dracolich (Full)

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I have not been having good luck in this game. Kalorn hasn't rolled above 8 yet. Udit had a brief spat of luck, then had 17 rolls with only 4 above 10. If I ignore the disadvantage rolls, the odds of all these rolls being under 10 are ... well I'm going to be late to work if I do the math but they are quite low!

Ignoring the bad luck though, it's a problem with the d20 system, the swinginess. Kalorn, in theory, should be pretty good at this but nope...

gargoyleking

Adventurer
I had a friend who used to play with what he called a Deck 20. Basically 1-10 of 2 suits of playing cards with a Joker to act as a reshuffle. One suit was the 11-20.

Reduced the randomness considerably.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I dunno. I mean, I understand the frustration of poor rolls (I'm well known to be a notoriously low roller, IRL - I just played a 6 session Delta Green game in which I succeeded at no roll at all, the whole game - that's worse than any d20 game I've ever played!) but I think people overestimate the consequences of failure in D&D. Sure, it's possible for failure to result in death, but most of the time, all failure does is add some complication to the story. Interesting things happen.

You'll find that in *my* games, anyway. Maybe there are a lot meaner DMs out there than me.

tglassy

Adventurer
Sure. But knowing that everything you do fails and you suck does not endear a player to his character, nor does it make him want to keep playing.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Sure. But knowing that everything you do fails and you suck does not endear a player to his character, nor does it make him want to keep playing.

Absolutely. But it would be a bit dramatic to try to claim *that* here. You've hardly done *anything at all* yet, so thinking that "everything you do fails and you suck" is kind of jumping the gun a bit. Besides, you all absolutely savaged the only encounter we've done so far, so I don't see how having to roll a couple of rowing checks can ruin it for you, even if you're not good at it, unless you're *really* sensitive to not doing everything perfectly every time.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I had a friend who used to play with what he called a Deck 20. Basically 1-10 of 2 suits of playing cards with a Joker to act as a reshuffle. One suit was the 11-20.

Reduced the randomness considerably.
This is great for dealing with constant bad luck, but less so for swingyness. For that you need to replace the d20 with 2d10 or 3d6... but that can have very big repercussions, so it's not a step to take lightly.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases