(OOC) Scourge of Daggerford (Full)

Darfin, on the other hand, is a good example of his people. Within reason, you are free to do what you like. He has no metaphorical toes to step on. In addition, he was an adventurer himself, and he's living his youth vicariously here. I completely understand that Escella would constantly curtsey and defer to him, but he will also constantly shake his head, wave a hand, give his permission, and express his desire that they carry on as if he were just one of the group.

I'm not talking about Darfin's view of the world. I'm talking about Escella's. He is a land-owning ruler. He is deferred to. Just because he doesn't think it's a big deal has no bearing. Unless he orders her to cut it out. She won't. (Or sufficient time goes by. She's only Neutral Good. She comes from Daggerford nobility. Rank has its priviliges.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'm not talking about Darfin's view of the world. I'm talking about Escella's. He is a land-owning ruler. He is deferred to. Just because he doesn't think it's a big deal has no bearing. Unless he orders her to cut it out. She won't. (Or sufficient time goes by. She's only Neutral Good. She comes from Daggerford nobility. Rank has its priviliges.

Oh absolutely. I just mean that if you are making a post where you defer to him, you can assume that he nods his permission. I'm not suggesting you play Escella any differently. Besides, in Daggerford right now, both the Duke and the High Priest of Light are pompous nobles who have set a very high bar at court for deterrence. Sir Darrfn is barely tolerated there when he's been around since the city was founded (and used to advise better Dukes).

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Yeah fortunately, Dandin's not afraid to step on anyone's toes. (Including the Dukes, last time he was in town.) If he sees something needing to be done he steps in to either do it, or to help whoever is doing it and better than he is.

Speaking of which... Ball rolling.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The orcs are expected to be camped by the river. The ridge is east of the river, but it's not terribly close on an encounter-scale map (though you can assume that the land still raises toward the east of the river). Tommi's idea is fine; you can travel above the ridge, using the forest for cover to get there unseen, but then you'll have to work your way down to the river to find the orcs.

With that in mind, I'd like some skill checks! We've done it here before, but here's modified text from my post in "Blizzard at Revel's End" explaining a "Three Skill Challenge" (though I've been avoiding calling it a "Skill Challenge" because some people have instant negative reactions to anything that sounds like a 4e thing) but I think you guys trust me, whatever your feelings on skill challenges might be:

"In an IRL game, I'd probably let a scene play out as it goes along, asking for skill checks whenever they are relevant. On the other hand, PBP takes forever to do that, so I've come up with a thing I call an "x skill scene" - where x is the number of skills you'll roll checks for.

It works like this:

1) I'll define a broad scenario or goal as to what the scene is about. (The Big Picture).
2) I'll chose a number of skill checks I'd like to see play out (Usually 3).
3) Usually I'll let you come up with it yourself but sometimes I'll provide some examples as to what skills I'd prefer you to roll.
4) You'll post a little descriptive post telling me what your character is attempting and your skill rolls, but don't go too far into the results (positive or negative) - leave that up to me.
5) You can add as much or as little detail to the scene as you like, I'll use what you post, or make it up myself (if you're too busy or just can't imagine the scene very well, you can post as little as just your rolls).

Notes:
a) I probably won't share the DCs of any of the tasks with you, unless you really want me to.
b) I'd prefer it if you don't just roll the same skills or your best skills over and over again.
c) Failure should be fun. To me, the result of failure on any given skill check is that something interesting happens. Constant success is boring. Don't sweat it if you roll like crap.
d) On the other hand, super-high rolls can be fun too. I usually try to make that cause cool things to happen too."

So... A three skill challenge where the big picture is "Safely deliver the War-Wagon and NPCs to the Manor house; Travel the ridge without being spotted; Get the drop on the orcs at the riverside camp."

(You won't go all the way to the manor house, but you might not want to just leave one NPC with a prisoner, three horses, and a mule to look after. Maybe this is a good opportunity for Sir Dafin to send away all his guards? He'd feel more like an adventurer again. I'll leave that up to @Neurotic ).

Obviously, I think Stealth is probably locked in as one of the skills that each of you should roll, but the other two are up to you, I think. (Though I expect to see a few perception rolls!)

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
I thought Darfin will send one guard with the orc. With his sister, if he sends them all away she will come for him to drag him by his ears back to safety :p

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I thought Darfin will send one guard with the orc. With his sister, if he sends them all away she will come for him to drag him by his ears back to safety :p

That's possibly true.

So, @Prickly Pear should probably send Titus with them. I don't think Titus would like to be sidelined, but there's a quarter-mile of road to take the Wagon up, and orcs all over the place. While I don't want to deal with it, I can't imagine that the orcs are not watching the manor's FRONT DOOR. (This is, after all, supposed to be something of a siege). The only reason they're not camped at the front door is in the manor's design - the only place to field an army is in the garden. The front door opens to a bridge over a waterfall and a tight, bending wooded road. Combine that with a gatehouse full of elven archers, and the front door is not a place to linger in front of. Titus and the Guard can absolutely run the wagon through, but it's not like it's terribly safe.

So, that said, I'm going to want three rolls from each of THEM too (one of which should be a Vehicles (Land) check for whoever's driving (man, I don't even know what ability goes with that, and I'm not sure either of them would be proficient. I doubt it. - Maybe Lionel should drive and Titus should go with the party?) At any rate, whoever goes with the wagon will still be part of the 3-skill-challenge. (And if anyone has any ideas on ways to set them on their way before they leave the main party, you can throw that in with your own checks).

Remove ads