(OOC) Scourge of Daggerford (Full)

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
But then you're not solving the delay of play posed by PBP. The entire point is to speed these kinds of things up...
Sure it would, you can define the trigger, just not something that depends on something you (as a player) cannot know. For example, you have a reaction that does 5hp. You cannot define 'when it would kill the opponent', but you could say when it look near death and talk to DMthat it means under 10%? 5%? whatever YOU think appropriate of total hp

You would get your reaction, just not guaranteed death and your reaction would be used regularly.

gargoyleking

Adventurer
The way we do it isn't guaranteed to work. It just makes it so we can run with it as effectively as possible without wasting limited uses, or forcing the DM to hide monster stats and making it more of a guessing game than it needs to be.

Neurotic

I think there is a misunderstanding somewhere along the way.

I support the announcement of reactions and I am willing to consider them in not-exactly describes scenarios (i.e if Dandin could prevent that last hit, I'd probably ask to use it) - I'm just talking about trigger definition.

And besides, this is becoming a discussion, which wasn't my intent at all, it is not my game :)

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Dandin watched in horror as the orc's weapon bit into Angis. He wasn't fond of being this close to the bigger brutes they'd faced in the past. But with their more stalwart allies out of action, he found himself right up and face to face with this one. Still, he was a halfling, and brave even for that.

"Don't count me out just yet! I might be small, but I've killed my share of brutes like you. Hold on Angis! We've got your back!"

With a flourish, the halfling struck out with his rapier, but his thrust was clumsy and easily sidestepped.

BA: Healing Word: 1d4+2 6 for Angis.

Rapier: 1d20+5 10 1d8+3 5

Reaction: Another use of Cutting words if appropriate.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Dandin watched in horror as the orc's weapon bit into Angis. He wasn't fond of being this close to the bigger brutes they'd faced in the past. But with their more stalwart allies out of action, he found himself right up and face to face with this one. Still, he was a halfling, and brave even for that.

"Don't count me out just yet! I might be small, but I've killed my share of brutes like you. Hold on Angis! We've got your back!"

With a flourish, the halfling struck out with his rapier, but his thrust was clumsy and easily sidestepped.

BA: Healing Word: 1d4+2 6 for Angis.

Rapier: 1d20+5 10 1d8+3 5

Reaction: Another use of Cutting words if appropriate.

Wrong thread :)

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I guess my idea is if we're already showing AC and HP for speed of play as well as completeness of narrative (which we should), then why not use meta-triggers, as well, avoiding three days of back and forth about if we want to use something, as well as avoiding wasting a limited use ability that's already out on the table?

Neurotic

I guess my idea is if we're already showing AC and HP for speed of play as well as completeness of narrative (which we should), then why not use meta-triggers, as well, avoiding three days of back and forth about if we want to use something, as well as avoiding wasting a limited use ability that's already out on the table?

Why not have attack and damage bonus shown...and saves - that way players could immediately roll any OA they trigger, could narate the results of spells they cast and (in case of dominations and similar) immediately play the monsters...

Hmmm...I think that was the way one of the DMs in 4e I played around 2012. The initative was rolled for the first round - who goes before monsters gets an extra round then it is monsters then players in whatever order they post. And he had editable maps so people moved themselves around so you didn't have to remember that Dandin moved to X so you cannot take the spot for example.

It worked by occasionally resulted in players syncing against monsters "I wait, I wait too, I hit the monster with fear, we all kill it " :) Or 'the wizard will fireball, move away' and the wizard simply waits for everyone to post.

It was efficient in speeding PbP, but occasionally gave the players powers they wouldn't have normally. In general, I agreed with it and used to hit myself with occasional OA or rolled saves for the monsters and such.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I'm not averse to rolling OAs if I know I'm provoking one. Especially if there's a Sentinel feat involved that will stop what I'm doing. I roll my OAs in case the monsters provoke, rather than wait for it to be prompted.

Remove ads