D&D 5E PHB Races Redone

Yaarel

He Mage
Personally, I only want a list of race feats to choose from, for each race.

For skills and similar add cultures for each race separately.

Maybe merge "culture" and "background" into the same thing. The cultural background can grant any proficiency or cantrip, plus a language, plus some interesting noncombat asset relating to a culture of a race. The Player Handbook backgrounds are moreorless human cultural backgrounds.

Dragonsbane

Proud Grognard
Even if they adapted over time? Doesn't it still make it biological? I may be wrong but I think biology can be affected by enviromental factors.

That's basically Darwinism isn't it?
It is. Personally, I think it is very plausible that a race has a cultural trait that developed into something biological, especially over the long time spans in fantasy histories.

It is. Personally, I think it is very plausible that a race has a cultural trait that developed into something biological, especially over the long time spans in fantasy histories.
Perhaps a race that have at one point decided to live underground has developed a sensitivity to sunlight over the generations. It doesn't make the trait less biological in nature though.
People also tend to forget that things like tool use, pecking orders, caring for the young etc are part of animal's biology too, not only antlers size, claws sharpness and fur color.

Horwath

Legend
I would go with no racial ability mods for standard races.

point buy altered:
32 pt pool

8 - 0 pts
9 - 1 pt
10 - 2 pts
11 - 3 pts
12 - 4 pts
13 - 5 pts
14 - 6 pts
15 - 8 pts
16 - 10 pts
17 - 13 pts(this is optional, maybe keep starting stats at 16 max)

Horwath

Legend
Perhaps a race that have at one point decided to live underground has developed a sensitivity to sunlight over the generations. It doesn't make the trait less biological in nature though.
People also tend to forget that things like tool use, pecking orders, caring for the young etc are part of animal's biology too, not only antlers size, claws sharpness and fur color.
I would keep 120ft darkvision for drow together with sunlight penalty.

Maybe add half feat that removes sunlight penalty with some minor bonus added;

Daylight adaptation:
+1 to any ability score.
Remove sunlight sensitivity.
Gain additional usage of faeri fire per long rest.

point buy altered:
32 pt pool

8 - 0 pts
9 - 1 pt
10 - 2 pts
11 - 3 pts
12 - 4 pts
13 - 5 pts
14 - 6 pts
15 - 8 pts
16 - 10 pts
Yes, I would suggest doing away with any racial bonus, abilities and lore too.

Let the PCs play as amorphous blobs of math and mechanical effects picked from a generic array of possibilities. That's the way we are heading anyway. Slowly, but steadily.

Eubani

Legend

point buy altered:
32 pt pool

8 - 0 pts
9 - 1 pt
10 - 2 pts
11 - 3 pts
12 - 4 pts
13 - 5 pts
14 - 6 pts
15 - 8 pts
16 - 10 pts
I am doing as per current method shown in UA at the moment.

Remove ads