Play Star Trek By Yourself In This New Solo Version of Star Trek Adventures

Randomly generate missions and play in any era!

Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 11.11.19 AM.png

Captain's Log Solo Roleplaying Game is new from Modiphius (which produces the official Star Trek Adventures TTRPG). The digest-sized rulebook is 326 pages long, and you play a starship captain as your ship and crew explore the galaxy.

The game is set in any era of Star Trek, from TOS all the way through to Discovery in the 32nd Century, Missions are randomly generated, as there is no gamemaster, but the game can also be played cooperatively with a GM.

The book comes on in August, but if you pre-order now you get the PDF immediately.

StarTrek.com has a preview of the game.

Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 11.12.09 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 11.12.50 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 11.13.12 AM.png

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Looks interesting, I might finally be tempted to get into a Star Trek RPG.

On the site, I see choices for 4 different covers for different eras. I assume that's only the cover that's the different, and the rules themselves are the same? Not a separate ruleset for TOS, TNG, etc, right?

Looks interesting, I might finally be tempted to get into a Star Trek RPG.

On the site, I see choices for 4 different covers for different eras. I assume that's only the cover that's the different, and the rules themselves are the same? Not a separate ruleset for TOS, TNG, etc, right?
from Modiphius's listing:
  • Available in four different covers inspired by your favorite Star Trek eras: the original series, The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine/Voyager, and Discovery. The interior content is the same for each version.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
from Modiphius's listing:
  • Available in four different covers inspired by your favorite Star Trek eras: the original series, The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine/Voyager, and Discovery. The interior content is the same for each version.
Ah, thanks! I missed that.
And the moral of that story, kids, is to scroll all the way down. 😅

I've been noticing solo RPGs have been proliferating lately. I wasn't really sure what these (and solo journaling) were about, given it seems like there are more gamers in the hobby than ever, but I recently snagged a Death in Space module that can double as a solo game experience and it was intriguing how it worked, so I have ordered this Star Trek book to see what the whole thing is about. So far it's....very dense, and nothing at all like the programmed "pick a path" adventures such as from fighting Fantasy and Tunnels & Trolls (yeah I'm old). But in other ways it feels like some sort of weird hybrid of those, reading a novel, and a creative writing exercise all caught in a blender. Will dive in deeper.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
The Captain’s Log Solo Roleplaying Game is a 326-page, full-color standalone digest-sized rulebook that provides a complete, streamlined version of the award-winning 2d20 System used for the Star Trek Adventures roleplaying game, which you can use to create your own Star Trek stories with a dynamic character formed from your own imagination.
Might have to check this out just for the streamlined system. Modiphius makes way too crunchy games for my taste. The closest to light enough was John Carter. Here's to hoping.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I am super curious about this. I am a little wary of how much fun the randomly generated missions are going to be, compared to doing a written adventure that's sort of a choose-your-own-adventure with the game system. I see you get a PDF immediately if you preorder. Hopefully someone does so and gives a quick first thoughts. If anyone sees one, please link to it.
I have been trying solo RPGs for the past year and the best of them (Thousand Year Old Vampire) I would stack up against any other RPG experience I've ever had. So it could work out -- it's just about the execution.

Remove ads

Remove ads