D&D (2024) Ranger playtest discussion

In the video, the tone of Crawford seems to worry that they think this version of the Ranger is too powerful and may need to be nerfed at some later date.
Holy hell really? If he thinks that about this, then WotC really do have it in for Rangers. This is not a powerful class/subclass. Low DPS, mediocre utility, not tanky. It's arguably better in the Exploration pillar than it was, but given it should be KING of the exploration pillar, well, that's not saying much lol.

Vael

Legend
I didn't get that read from Jeremy, it read more as "this is a playtest, nothing is set in stone".

Assuming other prepared spellcasting classes will follow the same prepared spells = spell slots, it is amusing that the Ranger will have more spells available to it than its Druid cousin, since Rangers get 2 cantrips, 2 1st level spells and Hunter's Mark.

Puddles

Adventurer
I think Favoured Enemy should be renamed something like “Readied Hunter” if this is the rule they are going for. The rule seems neat, it just lacks much association with the rule it is replacing.

Clint_L

Hero
A bit underwhelmed. Why not just make Hunter's Mark a class feature that doesn't use a spell slot? It's basically mandatory to keep rangers competitive.

The extra expertise is nice; better than the extra languages, but I would like to see Survival become an automatic class feature. Rangers should always have advantage on survival checks. It's the entire basis of their class flavour.

Oof, that level 11 conjure barrage "feature" is weak; hunters should automatically add an extra d8 to the damage dice.

A bit underwhelmed. Why not just make Hunter's Mark a class feature that doesn't use a spell slot? It's basically mandatory to keep rangers competitive.
I think Hex and Hunters mark should both be class features, and deal d6's equal to half your prof (so 1,2 or 3 d6)
I think sneak attack should be lowered to d4 at first level then at 2nd d4s equal to prof at 2nd and up grade to d6 at level 4ish and maybe d8's in the teens for levels.
The extra expertise is nice; better than the extra languages, but I would like to see Survival become an automatic class feature. Rangers should always have advantage on survival checks. It's the entire basis of their class flavour.
at least they suggest it.
Oof, that level 11 conjure barrage "feature" is weak; hunters should automatically add an extra d8 to the damage dice.
I don't understand why it is a spell not just a multi attack feature.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases