• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Ravenloft: Is it likely to get a 5e re-VAMP?

Revan79

First Post
So there have been many conversations among my gaming friends about what editions are likely to be brought out in 5th ed. Then someone raised the point that the Ravenloft World would basically need rewriting because many of the adventures didn't gel well together and some were written rather badly.

How do you guys feel about this?

What changes would you all like to see if they did release Ravenloft as Campaign world?

What new things would you like to see?

wedgeski

Adventurer
I think we are likely to see a gothic-horror-themed story and the usual 5E mega-adventure, but not a campaign setting per-se.

Honestly, if you have earlier Ravenloft materials, you have everything you need to play in that setting right now.

I just don't think that bringing back classic settings beyond Forgotten Realms really fits in with their Marvel Studios strategy for this edition right now. I imagine that will evolve a bit in the future. Obviously if Hollywood and major video game developers start taking interest in properties like Planescape, Eberron, Dark Sun and Ravenloft, I am sure they will find a way to cater fans of those settings in print form. I kind of wish that they would release more online content to hold us over in the meantime, but they are probably going to continue with Sword Coast related Forgotten Realms content and shoring up the core game (Rangers, Psionics, some kind of Artificer/Alchemist class) before we see anything more exhaustive than simple setting conversion documents for fans who already have the old materials.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They will do Ravenloft: lots of the Dread Lord types het name dropped in the core books, and the ly go so far as to establish that Castle Ravenloft is in the Shadowfell.

I expect they will do an Undead AP using the Shadowfell, Castle Ravenloft and some other bananas stuff (Tomb of Horrors?), maybe with a "Ravenloft Adventurers Guide" for all Gothic player options and Shadowfellish setting info.

That fits perfectly into the Marvel style plan.

They're focusing on a single setting at the moment and are unlikely to move beyond that world. If they return to Ravenloft, it will likely be as an adventure.
If they do touch on Ravenloft, it will be to bring Strahd into the Realms, so I'm pretty super against that move.

SunGold

First Post
Excerpt from an interview with Chris Perkins:

"It’s a Marvel-type of approach," he said, "where Marvel acknowledges that the comics are the spiritual core of their brand, and the movies are the more mainstream way of getting a large number of people to recognize their key characters and also look back at the comics to see where all this came from.

D&D is now a multigenerational game. We’re going to that approach story-first. However that story manifests, be it an RPG or something else, is OK with us."

The article is on Polygon, and it's called "Out of the Abyss: D&D's next campaign goes deep into the Underdark." I'd link it, but I don't have enough posts to link yet.

Remathilis

Legend
They're focusing on a single setting at the moment and are unlikely to move beyond that world. If they return to Ravenloft, it will likely be as an adventure.
If they do touch on Ravenloft, it will be to bring Strahd into the Realms, so I'm pretty super against that move.
They can fake it easily; group starts in Realms, gets swallowed by Mists, explore Ravenloft AP, defeat Strahd, Mists send them home. AP happens in Ravenloft, has Realms tie in for AL. DM can modify if the wants to go beyond APs borders.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads