• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rokugan D20 Discussion (RECRUITING & OOC Thread)

Douane

First Post
Kaiu Kyuzo
Samurai 1
CR:
Clan: Crab
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Honor: 2
STR 14
DEX 10
CON 16
INT 14
WIS 12
CHA 10
Massive Damage Threshold: 16
Hit Dice: 1d10+3
Hit Points: 13
Speed: 20 feet
Initiative: +0
Armor Class: 15 (+5 armor)
Base Attack Bonus: +1
Saving Throws: FORT +5; REF +0; WILL +3
Attack: +4 (Katana, 1d10+3, 19-20/x2), +4 (Wakizashi, 1d6+2, 19-20/x2), +3 (Naginata, 1d10+3, 20/x3, Reach)
Special Qualities: Knowledge-Architecture and Engineering as a class skill, 1 extra skill point per level, Ancestral Daisho
Skills: Concentration (2) +5, Diplomacy (4) +4, Iaijutsu Focus (4) +4, Knowledge-Architecture and Engineering (4) +6, Knowledge-Clan Crane (2) +4, Sense Motive (4) +5, Tea Ceremony (4) +5
Known Languages: Rokugani, High Rokugani, Bakemono
Feats: Void Use, Quickdraw
Equipment: Ancestral Daisho (Katana, Wakizashi), Naginata, Lamellar Armor, Kimono, Travelling Outfit, assorted gear
Description: The second scion of a minor line within the Kaiu familiy, Kyuzo has so far been a disappointment in regard to their hopes of redemption from the shame incurred two generations ago, when his grandfather committed seppuku to protest against the decision of allying with the forces of the Shadowlands. As both he and his elder brother, who fights upon the Wall, seem unfit to fulfill this duty in the eyes of their relatives, the burden lies now upon the shoulders of their younger sister.

Kaiu Kyuzo is by no means a fast man, neither in body nor in his behaviour. An almost exemplary illustration of his family‘s famed analytical approach, he manages to apply this way of thinking to almost everything he does. This has enabled him to develop the ability to „understand people", i.e. knowing what they think and why they think that way. Born from the ability to search buildings and constructions for their weak points, a rather time-consuming measure, his state of mind and behaviour mirror this: Kyuzo is a calm and measured person, never prone to outbursts of any kind. He views everything with a certain detachment and tends to scrutinize everything and everyone he encounters; however he tries to never judge for good or for bad.
All this adds up to a rather non-exciting personality; due to this and his apparent lack of ambition, his relatives gave up hope that he could redeem the past shame.

The only dissonance in this bland personality is his vivacious interest in Clan Crab and their mastery of „Way of Iaijutsu". Openly admiring those and secretly hoping to be one day among them [though he is aware of futility of this hope], he trained himself and continues to do so to share some of their abilities.

Once he grew past [in more than one way] the frequent teasings, that he obviously was exchanged at birth with a real Crab and that he also would make a better monk than a samurai, Kyuzo continues unchanged on his solitary road.

Additional Information:
Height: 6' 0"
Weight: 176 lbs.

P.S.: Sorry for the rambling description; it's been a long day and I just wanted to get the character out. Any errors and discrepancies (please point them out me) will be corrected.

Last edited:

GWolf

First Post
Toritaka Fan
Monk Level 1
Alignment: Lawful Good

STR: 11
DEX: 16
CON: 10
INT: 13
WIS: 16
CHA: 10

HP: 8
Initiative: +3
AC: 16 (Dodge 17, flatfooted 10, touch 16)
BAB: +0
Speed: 30'

Fortitude: +2
Reflex: +5
Will: +5

Melee Attack Bonus: +0
Unarmed Attack Bonus +0
Ranged Attack Bonus: +3

Weapons:
Fist +0 1d6

Skills:
Tumble +7
Balance +7
Escape Artist +7
Swim +4
Jump +4
Climb +4

Feats:
*Unarmed Strike
*Evasion
*Stunning Blow
Unbalancing Strike
Dodge

Languages: Rokugani, High Rokugani

Equipment:
Robes
300 Koku

Fan is a distant relative to the Torikata family. Since he was orphaned as a young child, he wished to gain power over men. He wanted to be able to fight with his own hands, figuring this would intimidate people and make him look tougher. He went to a monastery to train. After many years he has become a cold, and judging man, but otherwise he is a fine and well fighting guy.

Fan is tall, with a lean but muscular build. His hair is black and hangs around his head. He almost always wears his gray robes with the black strip from the right shoulder to the left thigh.

Yellow Sign

Explorer
Tsuruchi Michiba
Fighter 1
CR: 1
Clan: Mantis (Wasp)
Alignment: Lawful Good
Honor: 2
STR 14
DEX 16
CON 12
INT 12
WIS 12
CHA 10
Massive Damage Threshold: 12
Hit Dice: 1d10+1
Hit Points: 11
Speed: 30 feet
Initiative: +5
Armor Class: 16 (+3 armor, +3 dex)
Base Attack Bonus: +1
Saving Throws: FORT +3; REF +3; WILL +1
Attack: +5 (Mighty Yumi (Longbow)+2, 1d8+2, Range 70, 19-20/x2), +3 (Tanto, 1d4+2, 19-20/x2)
Special Qualities: Knowledge-Fletchery as a class skill, 1 extra skill point per level
Skills:Climb +5, Craft(fletchery) +5, Jump +5, Ride +5, Spot +4, Swim +4
Known Languages: Rokugani, High Rokugani
Feats: Void Use, Warrior Instinct, Weapon Focus (Yumi)
Equipment: Mighty Yumi(longbow) +2, Tanto, Ashigaru Armor, Traveler's Outfit, Waterskin, 10 Masterwork Arrows, 20 Arrows

Michiba is one of the first generation of samurai born into the ranks of the Wasp Clan. He feels the heritage and mantle of the Wasp throughout his very soul. Though of late he as been troubled by the Wasp's Clan's absorption into the Mantis Clan. He realizes that the Mantis are benefactors and patrons of his family, but it seems wrong somehow to simply abandon decades of traditiion and struggle simply to add to the flagging ranks of the Great Clan they serve.
For the time being, Michiba is content to continue serving his clan and he hopes to become a Magistrate someday. He is quick to correct any who refer to him as a Mantis though, he is very much still a Wasp, and will always remain so.

Last edited:

Tokiwong

First Post
"On my command.... Unleash Hell..."

Update

First In-Game post will be today, and I will try and weave a story to bring you all together, and all that. Good Luck, and hopefully it will be a fun time.

Tokiwong

First Post
Two more NPC's

Iuchi Gemmei (Unicorn, Female, Shugenja 8, Honor 2): Iuchi Gemmei is a well-versed shugenja knowledgeable in the affairs of the kami. She specializes in travel magic, a specialty among the Unicorn. She is a beauty, despite her gaijin features, green eyes, from her own families intermingling with the foreign peoples beyond the Emerald Empire. She is straightforward, and somewhat prone to acting before thinking, but has enough foresight to listen when she feels it is needed. She is not above using her looks to get what she wants, and is currently studying the Shadowlands, which has brought her into the lands of the Crab and into the service of Hiruma Akio, an aging samurai and a Province Daimyo.

Hiruma Akio (Crab, Male, Ranger 8/Fighter 2/Shadow Scout 6, Honor 2): Akio is an old Hiruma, approaching the age of fifty, he can feel the weight of the years upon him, but the desire to continue service haunts him still. He has two children, Sanu and Etsuya, both of whom have grown into their own and serve the Crab, as samurai should. Akio spent fifteen years on the wall, and made many forays into the Shadowlands, and has the scars to prove his mettle. He is old though, and sees his better years already passing before him, he is content to continue his life as a Province Daimyo; it allows him to reflect on his past. Though if the call were to come, the old samurai would take up his sword in a heartbeat.

Douane

First Post
Question regarding the background of Kaiu Kyuzo:

It seems to me, that the relationship between Kyuzo and Tadashi (as established by the IC talk) goes a little beyond "friendly" ribbing. Am I right in this assumption?

Folkert

Tokiwong

First Post
Douane said:
Question regarding the background of Kaiu Kyuzo:

It seems to me, that the relationship between Kyuzo and Tadashi (as established by the IC talk) goes a little beyond "friendly" ribbing. Am I right in this assumption?

Folkert

if you mean as friends, they have known each other for awhile, and Tadashi gets Kyuzo in trouble with his antics, but the bushi has a good heart, and is loyal to his friends

Douane

First Post
Tokiwong said:

if you mean as friends, they have known each other for awhile, and Tadashi gets Kyuzo in trouble with his antics, but the bushi has a good heart, and is loyal to his friends

Regarding the pronouncation of Kyuzo's name: I had already gathered that Tadashi was to blame, not the narrator. :)

However I had mistaken some of the talk for intended maliciousness on Tadashi's part, so I got a wrong impression of him.

Thanks for the clarification!

Folkert

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads