• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rokugan D20 Discussion (RECRUITING & OOC Thread)

Tokiwong

First Post
I am in the mood to run a D20 game based on the Rokugan setting, but I am also trying to gauge interest in starting a beginner game of first level characters using the standard Rokugan setting in the AEG book Rokugan. I also have available, Magic of Rokugan and Creatures of Rokugan, plus Oriental Adventures.

I will make a few minor changes to the rules, I am going to use the Massive Damage Threshold rules from D20 modern:

Massive Damage Threshold (MDT): This rule works the same as it does in the D20 Modern book. Each character or creature has a Massive Damage Threshold equal to his or her Constitution. If the character takes damage that is equal to or higher then his MDT he must make a Fortitude saving throw (DC 15) or immediately fall to –1 hit points. For each five points above the MDT the damage deals, the DC for the Fortitude saving throw increases by +1.

I will also include the feat Improved Damage Threshold to even the odds. But as you can see, combat will be somewhat lethal, especially at the mid- higher levels. Thankfully I intend to start the game at 1st level, and go from their.

Basic Game Data

Acceptable Clans: Looking for Suggestion, more focused to a few clans, or a Magistrates styled game, of varying clans.

Character Info: First Level Characters, using 28 point buy for the statistics. The characters will have 300 Koku as their starting funds, and may purchase feats from OA, Rokugan, and the PHB.

Background: I would like at least a paragraph on background, and some notes on personality of the given character, to give me something to work with.

Other then that, just gauging right now, interest, I would prefer that the characters have some knowledge from the Rokugan D20 book, which gives much more depth and info on the setting.

Last edited:

Lichtenhart

First Post
I may very well be interested. At which point in the storyline do you plan to start the game?

(oh, and while I'm here, are you still interested in the IRR?)

Tokiwong

First Post
Lichtenhart said:
I may very well be interested. At which point in the storyline do you plan to start the game?

(oh, and while I'm here, are you still interested in the IRR?)

Interested but not sure if it is for me, and the point in the storyline, perhaps maybe go back a just before the death of Toturi, not sure yet...

GWolf

First Post
2 hours

Thats how long from this post, that a complete character will be up. I am becoming a garyh of sorts. anyway looking forward to it!

[Edit]Well Questions have arose so it may be longer. Would an outsider from the Rokugan setting be possible? I was thinking of playing a character not from around there, that for some reason or another ended up in Rokugan, but if not no problems I'll play Something more standard.

If I can, I would love to play an outlandish paladin, who is stuck in rokugan on a long term mission, can not reutrn home, or is helping a friend in need, or perhaps his lands were wiped out and he is now a refugee. I had alot more ideas about how he could progress and multiclass if you allow. I would really like to talk to you more about, Go online sometime my screenname is GM089.

Otherwise, I am more then happy to play as a ninja of the hare clan.

Or Anything else that makes your game work.

So were in the year 1129/1130?

Last edited:

Tokiwong

First Post
Interesting ideas, the foriegner we may be able to work out, though I was hoping for a more Rokugan based game, we shall see, still thinking I may narrow my focus to just a few clans, not sure yet, and the story would take place in the year 1152 there is a lengthy gap between then and Toturi's death to give me some playing room...

What I am looking at perhaps is a more clan based game, perhaps between 2 clans, working together for a joint purpose, and not so much Magistrates, therefore, the characters could be Ronin in the service of one of the two clans, or members of one of those two clans proper. Familial ties even distant ones would be encouraged.

Looking at mainly Crab and Mantis clans, with a focus of defenders of a province kind of theme. Perhaps protecting Crab and Mantis interests. Unicorn is also a likely candidate as well, that I think should give alot of room for variety.

Yellow Sign

Explorer
Here are a few questions that came off the top of my head.
Any possiblity of Scorpion involvement?
Are you looking to run a action adventure (Seven Samurai), a politics/intrigue game (Throne of Blood/Ran), or a mixture of the two (Hidden Fortress) type game. As you can tell, I love samurai movies!:D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads