• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Sage Advice is back!

Remathilis

Legend
I don't think a Background coming with a Feat would break the system: We had Variant Humans, House Rules, Supernatural Gifts, Dark Gifts, Dragonic Gifts, and UA that pretty much twirled this idea, of having a Feat at Level 1, around throughout 5E in different forms.
I mean, the fact that Ravnica guild backgrounds give additional spell options to casters already made other backgrounds mechanically weaker. A predetermined feat or feat-level ability shouldn't be that much worse.

Though feat chains and background would have been a far not elegant way of doing Eberron dragonmarks and houses.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
As someone who has been irritated by this choice of terminology since 1999 I know the answer to this, understand how it happened, and I still hate it.

The reason for is is that "feats" were originally conceived as active things that fighters could do much like spellcasters had spells. They were originally things like power attack and whirlwind attack - active maneuvers that fighters had they they could use in battle. As the development process went on the idea of who would be using feats expanded outside of the martial classes and to everyone - and they started including more general things that would be considered "perks" or "advantages" in another game. But when it did, they never changed the name to be something that would make sense and it slipped into publication with that same term despite it not fitting the actual game mechanic they'd created.

Every time I see the word in a d20 game I think of the path not taken where they realized the name didn't make sense anymore and changed it to "perk" or "talent" or something that makes a bit more sense.
Or the one where martial characters got something cool of their own.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Some amount of power creep is inevitable in any game that doesn’t remain static. I would say the amount of power creep seen in 5e is overall not to bad given the length of time. The slow release schedule probably helped a lot with managing it.
Slow release schedule combined with the release schedule being more adventures as a percentage of total product since at least 1e (I haven't done an actual survey of the numbers, so it might be "than any edition"). If you're not cranking out a new book full of spells and kits or feats every month or so, there are fewer opportunities to accidentally or purposefully introduce power creep into your game.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I am not digging this change either, even though I am strongly partial in favor of feats since 3.0 :)

As a player, I almost never pass up the opportunity to take a feat, but as a DM I had some players who absolutely didn't like feats (I never understood why), and in 5e they had a choice... but now if background with feats become the norm, they don't have the choice anymore unless you consider a choice to stick with an older background and see the rest of the group laugh at you.
You could just give players who don’t want feats the option to take an ASI at first level

Remove ads