D&D 5E Settings for D&D Next?

Bow_Seat

First Post
I never got to play an eberon game and I have always wanted to. Other than that, wotc knows that i'll buy anything they put a FR sticker on.

Also I love imagining new worlds so anything new that they put out will get bought up by me. I'll buy any brand new setting, even if it's just for the sake of novelty.

delericho

Legend
I'm probably not going to be buying in to 5e, so would really only be interested in a setting for repurposing for 3e (or perhaps another game entirely). That being the case, I'm not interested in seeing them redoing anything they've already done recently. So, although Eberron and Dark Sun are favourites, I wouldn't buy them because there are already good versions out there.

That being the case, the setting I would be most interested in seeing redone is Spelljammer.

Beyond that, I'm with whoever said "something new".

timASW

Banned
Banned
meh i'm running games lately in either the world from dragon age or FF12 if i want some magitech so something along those lines.

I know they'll never get the license for either of those but maybe update Eberron and greyhawk. Since I dont think Greyhawk has had an official campaign setting for a long time that would be nice. I've never actually seen one, and since thats such a big part of 3X it would be interesting to see that base all laid out in one place instead of piecemeal throughout the books and splats.

VGmaster9

Explorer
I think it would be nice to have Greyhawk as well, it would just need a more unique makeover so it wouldn't be so similar to FR, since they're both similarly structured settings. Greyhawk is nice for its gritty sword and sorcery feel.

As for Dragonlance, well, if that one were to come back it could have a more tolkienesque epic fantasy feel.

Last edited:

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
and Eberron does not interest me other than Xendrik.

You know it's funny, I can't stand Xendrik, mainly cuz I've been in 2 different campaigns that were advertised as simply "We're going to play Eberron" So I'm thinking political intrigue, city of Sharn, lightning rail, Inquisitives. And both times they've pretty much started "Ok, you shipwreck on the coast of Xendrik, this is gonna just be traditional dungeon crawl, We're only in Eberron cuz X wanted to play a Warforged"

And yes, I know I shouldn't have fallen for that twice.

Mercurius

Legend
I'd like to see three setting lines developed:

1) A new sandbox setting - relatively vanilla but with different regions embodying different styles of play - say, a Hyborian-esque North, a Dalelands-esque classic fantasy region, an undiscovered jungle region, etc. This would remain in the "eternal now" with no advancing of the timeline and be, in a sense, the archetypal D&D fantasy setting with a host of classic and new adventures set in it. Products would include something akin to the original FR "Grey Box", regional guidebooks which could include hexcrawling guidelines, and then encounter books and individual adventures.

2) A new metaplot setting(s) - something along the lines of Dragonlance - a setting built for story. A massive metaplot Adventure Path (or "Highway", more like it) could be developed over a couple years, and then a new metaplot setting sometime after that. The world could be played without following the metaplot, or after it was finished, but it would be designed around the story. Products might include an initial box set with a DM's guide, player's guide, and character creation guide, then the adventures, then maybe a couple concluding books at the end of the line - a monster book including new creatures and a campaign world book that facilitates play after the metaplot is over. Then, after maybe a 2-3 year cycle, a new setting would be developed with a new metaplot.

3) Classic Settings - Hardcovers or box sets detailing a classic setting from the TSR/WotC archives. These could even be setting neutral with an appendix on how to "Nextify" it.

Now of course none of the above is likely to happen. More likely we're going to see some kind of re-hashing of old settings, which is really too bad. My outline above provides the best of both worlds - new treatments of old classics, but also new settings. I just don't see the point in re-packaging the same old FR material from the last 25 years, or Eberron from the last 10. If people want to play in the FR there is plenty of material available.

On a side note, 4E really missed the boat on the importance of living, thriving settings - as evinced by [notranslate]Pathfinder[/notranslate]'s success, which is largely due to Golarion and the living quality it provides for the game. A game needs setting, a story needs place - 4E's was vague, disjointed, and undeveloped.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Am I the only one that feels the magic is gone from the beaten-to-a-pulp settings likely slated for the next 5 years? Even the obscure ones are turf already hashed. I know there is a marketable customer base willing to throw down for fresh settings, ones where no one in the 1e-4e crowd is an expert, rather everyone becomes a first-time explorer/DM together. Want to foster new community, provide the settings where we can share in new experiences.

No, you aren't the only one. I'd love to see this myself. But there would need to be at least two. One middle ages-like and one high fantasyesque.

Last edited:

Ratskinner

Adventurer
Am I the only one that feels the magic is gone from the beaten-to-a-pulp settings likely slated for the next 5 years? Even the obscure ones are turf already hashed. I know there is a marketable customer base willing to throw down for fresh settings, ones where no one in the 1e-4e crowd is an expert, rather everyone becomes a first-time explorer/DM together. Want to foster new community, provide the settings where we can share in new experiences.

Very nicely put, I totally agree. There's enough fans of those settings that they'll do the work of converting them. Let's see some new stuff.

Remove ads