D&D 5E Settings for D&D Next?

Shemeska

Adventurer
While I'm quite enamored with PF's Golarion right now, I'd still jump for a 5e Planescape, so long as it remained faithful to the setting's precepts from 2e and used the Great Wheel cosmology. I don't really want to see it altered to suit the purposes of 5e crunch or 5e implied setting, as many elements from it and Ravenloft were heavily altered to fit into the 4e World Axis cosmology. But if they produced a PS true to its origins, it would be a shut up and take my money situation (and yeah I'd give a kidney and a lung to be able to work on it!).

I'd also like to see a 5e FR that starts at the point that the 3e setting left off, because I have absolutely no interest in an FR that includes the Spellplague and the various and massive alterations to the setting that 4e ushered in. It pretty much killed the setting for me, and I own virtually every 2e and 3e FR supplement and novel that were made. I know that they're going to make some effort to regain the fans of the setting that bailed during 4e, but without being willing to retcon the Spellplague and the timejump, and in keeping all of those things canonical moving forward, I'm not certain that it's going to be palatable to me, and possibly many others, regardless of the presentation and the good faith effort. But I'll hold off on conclusions till I actually see what they do. However I may simply have moved on at this point to other things.

Water Bob

Adventurer
I know there is a marketable customer base willing to throw down for fresh settings, ones where no one in the 1e-4e crowd is an expert, rather everyone becomes a first-time explorer/DM together. Want to foster new community, provide the settings where we can share in new experiences.

The problem is, at least from my point of view, is that my taste rebels at settings that has common flying airships or flintlocks or steam ships. I don't want anything overly-magical, either, with tons of demi-human races.

When it comes to D&D, I'm partial to the Tolkien model. I want to see settings like Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Mystara, Blackmoor, The Hyborian Age, The Black Company, Dragonlance, A Game of Thrones, Thieves World, Lankhmar, Middle Earth, and the like.

Those are all worlds that don't stray too much from the traditional D&D universe while still each having their own particular atmospheres.

That's what I want.

Grimmjow

First Post
While I'm quite enamored with PF's Golarion right now, I'd still jump for a 5e Planescape, so long as it remained faithful to the setting's precepts from 2e and used the Great Wheel cosmology. I don't really want to see it altered to suit the purposes of 5e crunch or 5e implied setting, as many elements from it and Ravenloft were heavily altered to fit into the 4e World Axis cosmology. But if they produced a PS true to its origins, it would be a shut up and take my money situation (and yeah I'd give a kidney and a lung to be able to work on it!).

agreed. 5e's versatility shouldn't change the way a campaign setting is. We as players can change it anyway.

Stormonu

Legend
Set Spelljammer in the astral sea, and I'd be good to go.

Though I'd love to see a few new settings - the idea of one setting a year, without tying themselves down to keep supporting it, sounds like a fab idea.

Salamandyr

Adventurer
Personally, I would like to see them pursue a "D&D helps you create worlds!" strategy with their core game, with no direct tie in between campaign worlds and the game (it's one of the reasons I'm really happy to see they haven't personalized the Powers that clerics derive their powers from more than broad archetypes applicable to many settings).

Then, because I'd hate for them to leave money on the table, they come out with supplements for their various campaign worlds, probably starting with FR, that are overtly "system neutral" but that could contain 5e stats and setting specific rule modules.

jrowland

First Post
I am more likely to use my own homebrew setting, but what would intrigue me would be along the lines of a "Ringworld" setting, but instead of one ring, numerous rings at different radii from the sun. Each ring would be a "Plane", such as the plane of fire (very close to sun) and ice (very far from sun). The inner rings would precess such that they cast shadows on the material ring corresponding to day/night.

Something like that would be interesting, different, and would allow for much more surface area than a planet such that they would effectively be infinite, even the material, allowing for all sorts of things to exist on the same "world"

Hell, a dyson sphere, or something else truly fantastic (a plate held by a titan that rides on a turtle...)

my 2 cp

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
  • 1. Mystara
  • 2. Greyhawk
  • 3. Kara-Tur (as its own setting [not tied to FR])
  • 4. Planescape and/or Spelljammer
  • 5. Dark Sun (normally I'd list this higher, but since it got a 4E version, I'd rather see one of the other settings first)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I'd love to see Greyhawk, that would definitely be my #1 choice.
And then after that... Planescape.

I think it would be nice to have Greyhawk as well, it would just need a more unique makeover so it wouldn't be so similar to FR, since they're both similarly structured settings. Greyhawk is nice for its gritty sword and sorcery feel.
I definitely think its a great time to revisit Greyhawk. However, I don't think WotC should make any sweeping changes to the setting. Instead, roll it back to the original Gygaxian version and then add the best of the rest into it (but don't go overboard).

WotC should look towards the FRCS from 3E as their guide to making a new Greyhawk campaign setting hardcover. If they build the setting in such a manner, I'll buy it!!!

Also, I don't really see Greyhawk as being similar to the Forgotten Realms. FR has changed too much to be considered similar in style to Greyhawk. It has been ripped apart and patched back together too many times. Sure, Greyhawk went through the Greyhawk Wars, but it hasn't been torn asunder (over and over and over).

I doubt WotC would ever rewind FR; if they did, it would invalidate dozens (and dozens) of sourcebooks and hundreds of novels. However, for Greyhawk, they could rebuild the setting using its roots and not have to worry about pissing off die hard fans since most of those fans prefer the older version. (Now, me personally, I love the From the Ashes boxed set, but I'd love a restarted Greyhawk, regardless.) And with Greyhawk, you don't have a 'strong' novel line to be concerned about. In fact, a revised classic Greyhawk campaign setting could be restarted with a new line of novels.

Just my thoughts...

A'koss

Explorer
I definitely think its a great time to revisit Greyhawk. However, I don't think WotC should make any sweeping changes to the setting. Instead, roll it back to the original Gygaxian version and then add the best of the rest into it (but don't go overboard).
I'm kinda torn what I'd like to see from resuscitated Greyhawk. Either go right back to it's roots... or kick it forward (and hopefully) take it in some cool new directions.

Either way, Greyhawk has always had the best villains and memorable artifacts and would really want to see them brought to the forefront. What would happen if Igwillv returned (backed by Graz'zt) to revitalize Iuz's failing empire? St. Kargoth's could lead his Death Knights in a bid to take over the fractured Great Kingdom, his former homeland. Imagine the mayhem if Kas brought the floating Citadel Cavitus to Oerth. And then you've got Robilar, Eclavdra, Vecna, the Princes of Elemental Evil.... the list goes on and on.

Last edited:

Remove ads