D&D (2024) So what's with 2024 and beyond?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So, just for idle speculation sake, here are the D&D modules written in whole or in part by Gygax that aren'tcurrentlyin priny by WotC gor 5E (G1-3 and S1, currently) arranged by what PC Lecels they cover:

• B2: Keep on the Borderlands, 28 pages in the original BD&D format, covering Levels 1-3
  • T1-T4: The Village of Hommlet and Temple of Elemental Evil, 128 pages in AD&D format, covering Levels 1-8
  • S4: The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth, 64 pages in the original AD&D format, covering Levels 6-10
  • WG4: The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun, 34 pages in the original AD&D format, covering Levels 5-10
  • S3: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, 68 pages in the original AD&D format, covering Levels 8-12
  • WG5: Mordenkainen's Fantastic Adventure, 32 pages in the original AD&D format, covering Levels 9-12 (wildcard might be the 3E revision and expansion?)
  • EX1: Dungeonlamd, 32 pages in the original AD&D format, covering Levels 9-12
  • EX2: The Land Beyond the Magic Mirror, 32 pages in the original al AD&D format, covering Levels 9-12
  • D1-2: Descent into the Depths of the Earth, 28 pages I'm the original AD&D format, covering Levels 9-14
  • D3: Vault of the Drow, 32 Pages in the original AD&D format, covering Levels 10-14
  • Q1: Queen of the Demonqeb Pkts, 40 pages in the original AD&D format, covering Levels 10-14
  • WG6 Isle of the Ape, 48 pages in the original AD&D format, covering Levels 18 and up

So, in total, Gygax's potential material for future reprints like Tales from the Yawning Portal came to 566 pages: now, any 5E reprint would shorten the Adventures considerably, due to higher wordcounts per page and dropping material like pregens, tournament rules, and many handouts as we saw woth Yawnign Portal. And many of these I don't think would fit that well, (EX1, EC2, B2, and WG6 seem odd duck's here). At any rate, a fully Gygaxian reprint book covering a full Tier 1 to Tier 3 spread is very, very doable.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
If true, that raises a lot of questions about the "we don't have enough production pipeline to make variant covers of the 2024 core books" assertion. The real answer might be that they don't expect to make more money doing variants than they would by producing a different book entirely. I suspect the normal math wouldn't necessarily hold true for a 50th anniversary special edition, though.

We'll see what happens when they finally announce the 2024 publication schedule.

Well, pitting out multiple other vooks certainly doesn't help the logistics of the new Core books.
There's a quite different logistical load between prints X hundred thousand books to all release on the same day and X/5 released every other month

Parmandur

Book-Friend
There's a quite different logistical load between prints X hundred thousand books to all release on the same day and X/5 released every other month
Exactly. The issue they said that they were having, IIRC, was finding a printer with capacity for the print run of the Core books at all. Vecna: Eldritch Bugaloo isn't getting anywhere near the print run.

Yaarel

He Mage
That's the corporate label. When the fans are discussing differences between rulesets -- which makes up a huge portion of D&D discourse online -- there will need to be some way of shorthanding the 2024 printing. We just don't know what everyone will settle on.
From what I see so far of the playtest, the edition remains 5.0 rather than 5.5. In any case, I will continue to refer to it as "5e".

If necessary to distinguish the core books update from the earlier printing, I will say "2024" versus "2014".

When I can see the 2024 anniversary edition core books complete, I will know for sure. But I see a continuing development of 5e analogous to Xanathars and Tashas.

Remove ads