Swordsage or Monk Class

I miss my swordsage from the Book of Nine Swords! It had much of what makes 4e great, and it had all of the flavor that should have been in the original 3.x monk. I wanted to create a class that could be used to create swordsage characters, monks, and even psychic warriors. Here is what I am thinking.

[SBLOCK=Class Design Goals]
1. This class is intended to replicate the flavor of a mystical warrior. This should encompass many possible archetypes, but include the stereotypical D&D monk class, the Book of Nine Swords Swordsage class, the wuxia martial artist, the ninja, the enlightened weapon master, the psychic warrior, and even the "jedi" style character.

2. The class mechanics should encourage flavorful choices, not standard mechanical optimization choices. Choice of weapon, armor, ranged, melee, equipment, etc. during character creation should all be made on the grounds of flavor and theme, and the mechanics of the class should encourage this. Bastard sword, scale or plate armor, or magical items for example, should all be chosen based on character concept and not mechanical effect. To this end, the mechanics should tend to slightly homogenize the effects of equipment choice on mechanical playability.

3. Attributes are important. The mystical warrior trope conjures images of the lone warrior, the hermit martial artist, the enlightened swordsman. The Swordmage accomplishes these goals to some degree, but I think that it fails to deliver on many accounts. First, arcane is not mystical. Arcane is knowing secrets. Mystical is understanding and awareness. As such, a mystical warrior should have Wisdom as a primary stat, as apposed to Intelligence. Second, health and fitness are more important to a mystical warrior than pure strength. The Swordmage focuses on Strength as an atribute, and this leads further to the feeling that the Swordmage class is out to obtain power through strength and arcane secrets. A mystical warrior would pursue enlightenment and awareness, and these give him many abilities as a side benefit. As such, I feel that a more appropriate stat for a mystical warrior than Strength would be Constitution. While Swordmages can focus on Constitution as apposed to Strength, there are limitations to this choice.

4. Class role is important. The Swordmage fails to deliver the archetypal mystical warrior because of the choice of defender as the class role. Mystical warriors are often lone warriors. They are often hermits. They are not a trope that is credited with standing in between enemies and the squishies. The defender role is much less important for lone warriors than it is for groups. Groups need people to protect the less melee competent members. Martial arts are often described as the arts of self defense. They are not often touted as bodyguards. As lone martial artists, who would a mystical warrior be protecting? Mystical warriors are concerned with personal perfection, understanding, awareness of surroundings, and contemplation. Swordmages are definitely defenders. They have a fair share of controller style powers, but the base class abilities are very much a suite of defender abilities. Defending things is a role that mystical warriors are sometimes put into, but I feel that their role is much more aligned with the controller or striker roles. Swordmages can be shoe-horned into a controller or striker concept, but I think that a class designed to accomplish this from the outset, without the defender baggage, would better fulfill the trope of mystical warrior.

5. I would like to borrow as much of the play-tested mechanics that we have in the form of other classes while designing this class. Starting with one of the existing base classes as a template and modifying it to better suit the mystical warrior trope will be much easier, and will make it easier for players and DMs to understand how it works. New mechanics would have a fair likelihood of being unbalanced, and I will avoid redesigning the wheel if I can avoid it.[/SBLOCK]

Initial design space

So to begin, I decided to see how WotC advised recreating a 3.x monk character in 4e after release of the PHB. There was an article titled Converting Your Character: PH that outlines the conversion of a 3.x Monk to a 4e Two Weapon Fighting Ranger. I think that this is a good place to start from to get a 4e mystical warrior. Here is what they suggest.

Wizards Monk Conversion said:
1. Choose the two-blade ranger build (p104). (Don’t worry, this will make sense in a minute.)
2. Give up your leather and hide armor proficiencies, gaining a +3 bonus to AC when wearing no armor or cloth armor. You’re now only a point behind the normal ranger’s AC.
3. Gain a +2 bonus to Will defense (in addition to the ranger’s normal defense bonuses).
4. Replace Dungeoneering and Nature on your class skill list with Arcana, Diplomacy, Insight, and
Religion. Choose five trained skills from your class list.
5. Give up your martial weapon proficiencies. Grant your unarmed strike a +3 proficiency bonus,
increase the damage to 1d8, and add the off-hand property. Now you’re wielding two melee
weapons that are as good as the martial melee options available to the ranger.
6. Rename Hunter’s Quarry as Monastic Battle Focus, and lose the Prime Shot class feature. (You
thought you were getting that +2 bonus to Will for free, didn’t you?)
7. Focus on mobility-oriented powers, particularly those that reward a high Wisdom score (such as
evasive strike, yield ground, and weave through the fray). As desired, you can rename those powers
with a flavor that befits your monkish heritage (peerless balance of the crane instead of fox’s
cunning, for example).
8. Pick up feats to recreate other 3E monk class features—Evasion, Fleet-Footed, Long Jumper—and use multiclass feats (p209) to replicate the supernatural features. For example, the warlock has several teleportation powers reminiscent of abundant step.

There is a lot of good stuff here. I have basically just taken this advice, and then made a few tweaks to get it to feel closer to what I feel is important. The product allows monks to either use weapons or not, use armor or not, use magic items or not, and still be mechanically equal to other characters who made different choices or characters from different classes. I intend to tweak and reflavor most of the ranger powers, add in a few powers from other classes, make up a few powers for abilities that don't fit into the mechanics available in the PHB, and solicit advice from En World. I have to admit that I looked at several fan made monk classes, and on the whole they are pretty good. I felt that there were some serious design space holes in all of them though. There were several that stuck to the feel of previous edition monks, there were a few that were a little more creative and reimmigined the monk as it might appear in the classic martial arts movies, and there were also a few that just missed the mark completely. Here is my attempt.

[SBLOCK=Monk]
Monk
I have all that I need. Why should I fight for money?

Class Traits
Role: Striker
Source: Ki
Key Abilities: Wisdom, Constitution

Armor Proficiencies: Cloth
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple melee, simple ranged
Bonus to Defense: +1 Fortitude, +1 Reflex, +2 Will

Hit Points at 1st Level: 12 + Constitution score
Hit Points per Level Gained: 5
Healing Surges: 6 + Constitution modifier

Trained Skills: Insight and Nature plus 3 others. From the class skills list below, choose 3 more trained skills at 1st level.
Class Skills: Acrobatice (Dex), Athletics (Str), Diplomacy (Cha), Endurance (Con), Heal (Wis), History (Int), Insight (Wis), Nature (Wis), Perception (Wis), Religion (Int), Stealth (Dex).

Build Options: Yin Style Warrior, Yang Style Warrior
Class Features: Freedom from Want, Battle Prescience, Monk Weapon Aptitude, Fighting Style, Channel Ki

MONK OVERVIEW

Characteristics: Monks are mystic warriors whose pursuit of perfection in both body and spirit alow them to perform feats beyond normal warriors. Monks ability to master any weapon or fight with none at all are legendary. Monks can tap into sources of power that are denied to others with lesser understanding of both themselves and the universe, and this makes them both admired and misunderstood.

The years of training and meditation have honed both your mind and your body. You have mastered the vital energy that infuses both your body and the universe. This vital energy is what connects all things, and it is the font from which you draw strength. You seek to become one with this energy, and through it become one with everything. It is through practice of your art on the battlefield and contemplative meditation that you will achieve this oneness. Enlightenment awaits.

Religion: Monks typically venerate dieties of nature and contemplation. It is not uncommon for monks to engage in ancestor worship. Most monks pursue enlightenment through their art to a degree that many people perceive to be religious zeal.

Races: Many races excell in the martial arts. Elves value the contemplative life of a monk. Dwarves value the discipline required to perfect a fighting style. Humans particularly enjoy the insights that mindful observation and disciplined practice bring.

Creating a Monk

Monks depend on Wisdom and Constitution for their attacks. Dexterity and Strength are useful for perfecting many of the skills used in their martial training. Intelligence is necessary for the study of religion that many monks pursue to further their meditative contemplation.

Yin Style Warrior
Yin Warriors favor more contemplative, spiritual, and less agressive fighting techniques. They align themselves more strongly with Yin characteristics, and their techniques are often considered to be "soft" martial arts. Yin is usually characterized as slow, soft, insubstantial, diffuse, cold, wet, and tranquil.

Suggested Feat: Channel Ki feats, (Human: Alertness)
Suggested Skills: Nature, Insight, Religion, Perception, Diplomacy
Suggested At-Will Power: To be determined
Suggested Encounter Power: To be determined
Suggested Daily Power: To be determined

Yang Style Warrior
Yang Warriors focus on the more physical and aggressive aspects of the martial arts. They align themselves with the characteristics of Yang, and are often considered to be "Hard" martial artists. Yang is characterized as hard, fast, solid, dry, focused, hot, and aggressive.

Suggested Feat: Improved Initiative, (Human: Action Surge)
Suggested Skills: Nature, Insight, Athletics, Acrobatics, Endurance
Suggested At-Will Power: To be determined
Suggested Encounter Power: To be determined
Suggested Daily Power: To be determined

Monk Class Features
Every Monk shares these class features.

Freedom from Want
Monks have learned non-attachment to material goods. This non-attachment gives monks a greater understanding of the flow of battle. Monks gain an item bonus to all their defenses as well as attacks and damage. This bunus begins at +1 at level 3, and goes to +2 at level 7, +3 at level 13, +4 at level 17, +5 at level 23, and +6 at level 27.

Battle Prescience
You have a sixth sense in battle. While you are wearing no armor or cloth armor, and not using a shield, you gain a +3 armor bonus to Armor Class.

Additionally, you may use the highest of your Dexterity modifier, your Intelligence modifier, or your Wisdom modifier as a bonus to your AC and Reflex Defense, instead of the higher of your Dexterity or Intelligence modifiers.

Monk Weapon Aptitude
Monks can pick up and master any weapon, including improvised weapons and unarmed strikes. Monks are considered to be proficient in all weapons for the purposes of prerequisites for feats, powers and paragon paths, and for the purposes of Monk powers. Monks gain a +3 proficiency bonus with all weapons used in conjunction with monk powers that have the weapon keyword. Monks must still be proficient with a weapon in order to benefit from the proficiency bonus when using a weapon with other powers.

Monks can wield any one handed weapon as if it had the Off-Hand weapon property, and monks can choose to be considered to be wielding one or two weapons when fighting unarmed.

Fighting Style
Choose one of the following Fighting Styles and gain it's benefit. Powers may also give a benefit if you practice a particular style.

Yin Fighting Style: Gain Ritual Caster as a bonus feat. Use Nature for any ritual requiring the Religion skill.

Yang Fighting Style: Gain Toughness as a bonus feat.

Channel Ki
The monk class feature Channel Ki works like a power. The Channel Ki class feature encompasses multiple powers, two of which (Stunning Fist and Great Throw) are presented below.[/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=Channel Ki Powers]
Stunning Fist Monk Channel Ki Attack 1
Hitting the right pressure point disrupts the alertness of the target.
You may only use one Channel Ki power per encounter.
Trigger: You hit an enemy with a monk attack power or basic attack.
Target: One creature you have hit with a monk attack power or basic attack.
Effect: Target is Dazed until the end of your turn. At 11th level the effect becomes Stunned until the end of your next turn. At 21st level the effect becomes Unconscious until the end of your next turn.

Great Throw Monk Channel Ki Attack 1
A quick change in momentum sends the target flying, to land with a thud on his bottom, ten feet away from you.
: You may only use one Channel Ki power per encounter.
Target: One creature.
Attack: Wisdom vs. Reflex

[SBLOCK=At-Will Powers]
Quicksand Technique. Monk Attack 1
The more the target struggles to get away, the worse his predicament gets.
One creature.
Attack: Constitution vs. AC

Fork in the River Monk Attack 1
As either a peaceful flow or a churning rapid, a river can overwealm the unprepared.
One or two creatures.
Attack: Wisdom vs. AC or Constitution vs. Ac, two attacks.

Gusting Wind Monk Attack 1
With a redirection of Ki, the wind shifts, sending you enemies reeling.
Each creature in burst
Attack: Wisdom vs. Fortitude

Leaf on the Wind Monk Attack 1
Your attack leaves a wounded enemy chasing you like a child chases a leaf in the wind.
One creature.
Attack: Wisdom vs. AC

[/SBLOCK]

I have yet to convert any powers from the ranger list, but if anyone is curious, I intend to use ranger powers, give them the Ki and Force, keywords, replace each instance of [W] with d8, define any ranged powers as range 10, replace Dex with Wis and Str with Con, and then just call them all Monk powers. I will likely cut out a few, replace a few with powers from other classes (I want to reflavor both Thunderwave and a nerfed Sleep for the Monk), and then design a few more including the Great Throw and Stunning Fist Channel Ki powers.

The Channel Ki ability is intended to work similarly to the cleric Channel Divinity ability. I intend to use this for a line of feats that enable some of the lesser mystical abilities that monks might have, as well as a few minor striker or controller add-ons. This could prove to be a fun design space.

The Freedom from Want allows a monk to function without magical arms and armor. This may free up a lot of cash, but this cash can then be used in some interesting ways. First of all, the monk can use weapons, so if there are magical weapons that have abilities that he wants, he can get them the same as any other character. His Freedom from Want class ability should not stack because it is an item bonus. Second, for characters with the ritual caster feat, it frees up some cash for rituals. Rituals are an area in my games that has been underutilized. No one wants to spend any money on them because they are saving for the gear that gives them the plusses. A monk can use his extra cash on these rituals instead of needing it for plusses.

Monk Weapon Aptitude allows a monk to use any weapon, but I intend to remove all the [W]s from ranger powers when I convert them to monk powers and replace them with d8s. This will keep monks in line with other characters in the damage department even if they choose to wield a sub-optimal weapon. I look forward to making a glaive wielder and a khopesh wielder. Weird weapons for the win! Meaningful choices are preserved because the feats that go with the weapons are still available to differentiate the weapons, but the damage dice are the same. Mauls are a cool weapon, but no one chose to wield one until they became the big guns in 4e. Sickles are just as cool, and I want people to be able to use them effectively. This also fits the martial arts trope of using crazy weapons.

I decided that I would not add the usual striker extra d6s as a class ability. I figured that the ranger powers are relatively high damage enough, and I intend to slant this class a little toward controller, in the same sort of way that the warlock is slanted toward controller. I also intend to keep some of the ranged/melee feel of the ranger base that I used to create this. I think a little mystical ranged power is a good thing for this class. It will also allow a few weird ranged weapons as well. Boomerang anyone? I think that the range should be cut down a little from what the ranger can do, so we preserve the long ranged striker schtick for the ranger. The range should be a function of the power instead of the weapon, so that there is not one optimal weapon for a ranged mystical warrior.

There is the possibility that this class will not multiclass well with many of the existing classes. Stepping away from strength, dexterity, or charisma tends to mean that just wizard, cleric, and warlock will work. This is fine by me. I actually like this, because it separates the mystical warriors fighting style from the average combatants style. Fighter/monk or rogue/monk will be harder to pull off.

I would appreciate any comments on this. I have tried to outline the goals of this project up front, so that I hopefully don't get any "You are doing this all wrong!" comments. I am looking for balance critiques, as well as creative help for reflavoring and tweaking powers that would fit this class well. Let me know what you all think.

Last edited:

Here are some At-Will powers.

[SBLOCK=At Will Monk Powers]
Quicksand Technique. Monk Attack 1
The more the target struggles to get away, the worse his predicament gets.
One creature.
Attack: Constitution vs. AC

Fork in the River Monk Attack 1
As either a peaceful flow or a churning rapid, a river can overwealm the unprepared.
One or two creatures.
Attack: Wisdom vs. AC or Constitution vs. Ac, two attacks.

Gusting Wind Monk Attack 1
With a redirection of Ki, the wind shifts, sending you enemies reeling.
Each creature in burst
Attack: Wisdom vs. Fortitude

Leaf on the Wind Monk Attack 1
Your attack leaves a wounded enemy chasing you like a child chases a leaf in the wind.
One creature.
Attack: Wisdom vs. AC

Last edited:

Remove ads