D&D 5E Tal’Dorei Campaign Setting Reborn Releases January 18th 2022!

Critical Role's publishing arm, Darrington Press, has announced the release date for the Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting Reborn (which was originally published in 2017 by Green Ronin). TAL’DOREI CAMPAIGN SETTING REBORN RELEASES JANUARY 18TH! Mark your calendars, for Tal’Dorei Campaign Setting Reborn now has a release date: January 18, 2022! You’ll find it first at Critical Role shops (US, UK, CA...

5DFA7461-E9BB-4ACB-B23D-72726E49C1FA.jpeg

Critical Role's publishing arm, Darrington Press, has announced the release date for the Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting Reborn (which was originally published in 2017 by Green Ronin).

TAL’DOREI CAMPAIGN SETTING REBORN RELEASES JANUARY 18TH!
Mark your calendars, for Tal’Dorei Campaign Setting Reborn now has a release date: January 18, 2022! You’ll find it first at Critical Role shops (US, UK, CA, and AU) and Darrington Press Guild stores, followed soon after at friendly local gaming stores. The deluxe treatment from the team at Beadle & Grimm’s will release on January 30, featuring its own stunning in-world player handouts, maps, a GM screen, jewelry, and more—check out the preorder page for all the details.

I kind of don't get Mercer's penchant for blood-related content given a lot of monsters don't have blood. The new book could have a version of the blood domain cleric whose powers don't actually require a target to have blood, but from what I've read the previous version of the blood domain cleric was very good against creatures with blood and nearly useless against creatures without it.

Aldarc

Legend
I kind of don't get Mercer's penchant for blood-related content given a lot of monsters don't have blood. The new book could have a version of the blood domain cleric whose powers don't actually require a target to have blood, but from what I've read the previous version of the blood domain cleric was very good against creatures with blood and nearly useless against creatures without it.
Thematically, I'm a bit surprised that it's a Blood Wizard and not a Blood Sorcerer.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Matt Mercer would have been a pre-teen/young teenager during the 90s when characters with the name "blood" in them were all the rage. Bloodshot, Bloodstrike, Bloodwind, Youngblood. Also the vampire craze of the same era. The trends of our youth end up impacting our creativity in ways we may not consciously realize.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I think the Blood magic from Dragon Age may be a big inspiration. The whole ''mutilation to gain power'' is always a trope that appeals to some players (myself included). Even in 4e, on release, one of the Wizard Paragon Path was the Bloodmage (so we had a Bloodmage before we got other classic such as bards and barbarians).

Just look at the sheer amount of ''blood magic'' on the Dmsguild, its almost ridicule!

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Hopefully the archetypes that are reprinted here from the Green Ronin Press version have been updated the way that Mercer revised the Blood Hunter itself over the years.

They were very awkward subraces to implement in the game.

And thank Raei that they've included Way of the Cobalt Soul; that's been available on D&D Beyond but was somehow skipped over in the Green Ronin press version the same way the Blood Hunter, Gunslinger, College of the Maestro, and Duck Totem Warrior were skipped over. But like with Oath of the Open Seas, it's been ONLY available on D&D Beyond…

darjr

I crit!
The DMsGuild license hasn’t stopped wotc for some things. I wonder why they left out those others? I wonder if some of it is page count considerations and the fact they are available elsewhere put them on the cut list?

Last edited:

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
The DnDBeyond license hasn’t stopped wotc for some things. I wonder why they left out those others? I wonder if some of it is page count considerations and the fact they are available elsewhere put them on the cut list?
The others are not in D&D Beyond, they're in DMs Guild. DMs Guild has an exclusivity license that Mercer and Fandom had to work really hard to allow the Gunslinger Fighter and Blood Hunter to be on both it and D&D Beyond.

College of the Maestro Bard and Totem of the Duck Warrior Barbarian are just not worth the fight, while Way of the Cobalt Soul Monk and Oath of the Open Seas Paladin went to D&D Beyond first and DMs Guild won't let Mercer publish it because it's available on another format without the same negotations for the Gunslinger and Blood Hunter.

That's why they can republish the material from D&D Beyond into Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting Reborn, but NOT the DM's Guild-exclusive material. The Green Ronin version of the campaign setting specifically marketed going to buy these additional classes and subclasses from DMs Guild if you wanted more content for the campaign, and I wouldn't put it past the Reborn version to do the same, but they just would have to work out a deal with the owners of DMs Guild and that's difficult…

Remove ads

Remove ads