• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tale of the Clueless - Chapter 1: On the Seas of Air [IC Thread]

Ambrus

Explorer
Vorastrix waves goodbye to the half-janni with a clawed gauntlet. Seeing the small stain of dark ink on its tip, the small dragon causes it to evaporate thanks to his active sorcery. Looking over the sigilian grime and soot dulling his silver scales Vor then redirects his magic to clean and polish his hide with but a thought.

A quick look around the table reveals that the rest of the group has similarly suffered the soiling effects of the dirty air of the Cage. The little dragon silently causes the enchantment to begin freshening his companions and cleaning their clothing, each in turn. Vor looks on, curious to see who might notice and either voice appreciation or condemnation for the effort. If they were to be traveling together it was high time Vorastrix learn whether any of his companions had a bias against sorcery like their half-janni patron.

"Flying?" He finishes his tankard of whiskey pours himself another and downs that down too. "I knew I was forgetting to ask something. Water is bad enough but flying through air."

Ambrus

Explorer
"So his ship must be an air ship; like they have in Halruaa!" offers Vor enthusiatically. "I've never been to a kingdom that doesn't have land in it though. I wonder what it'll be like."

Eva of Sirrion

First Post
Mir doesn't seem quite as enthused as Vor. By all the stars in the Dome, I hope it's not one of the abominable gnomish contraptions. Otherwise we'll be in for a very short trip. I need coffee.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Drota considers the concept of a ship that goes through the air, flying like a bird. Unlike others she had eavesdropped on or spoken to during trading, she had never had occasion to fly, in one way or another. "I've never been in the air before... Have any of you been?" she asks after a moment.

Dichotomy

Explorer
Idim looks at Drota and shakes her head. "I have not even been on a ship that floated on water. I did not know that they could fly in the air. My family and friends from home would never dream of this."

Gli'jar

First Post
Terathoin, drinks from his stein, puts it down, and repeats, a blank look on his face. He shakes his head and lets out a deep breath, and at this point he has the look of a man who has accepted his fate. "I cannot swim. I expected that if I went overboard on the sea, I would drown. I cannot fly either, I expect the same fate to happen if I go overboard."

He takes another drink after hearing that there is no land on the plane, "Well we will just have to take some with us then." He pauses for a second, "And some rope." Although he has the look of a calm man, his hands are wrapped tightly around his stein, muscles taught as if it were his only tether to the earth.

Ambrus

Explorer
Vor's twin saw-toothed frills reflexively flare up at Mir's mention of gnomes. The little dragon quickly settles down. He offers Drota one of his crocodile smiles and flutters his wings briefly in response to her query. "I have, though not on an air ship. I've never even seen one. I was on a boat once, but just on a river." Vor cocks his head curiously down at Terathoin and offers a few small words of encouragement to the dwarf: "Some rope wouldn't be a bad idea, but I don't think you've got to worry about drowning much. In fact, I don't know if falling will even be a problem. I mean, how can one fall if there's no ground? Where would one go?"

Looking concernedly around the table at the others, the little wyrm continues: "I don't want to alarm you all, but I believe this whole big city is floating high in the air... overtop a mountain of some sort."

Nalfeshnee

Explorer
As the realisation settles regarding your destination, you are left with just a few hours of wakefulness before leaving on this journey.

It is late evening, and if any of you feel the need to buy anything for the trip, you will have to go to the Bazaar in early morning.

[sblock=Idim]You have heard of a night-market in the Hive that you could visit now Knowledge (local)[/sblock]

[sblock=Mir]In your wanderings through the city you have heard of a night-market in the Hive that you could visit tonightKnowledge (local)[/sblock]

[sblock=Vorastrix]You have heard talk about a night-market in the Hive that might provide you with some goods at this hour. Knowledge (local)[/sblock]

[sblock=Thrumgall]There is a night-market somewhere in the Hive that you have heard people talking about Knowledge (local)[/sblock]

Ambrus

Explorer
Tongue planted firmly in cheek

OOC: The Great Bazaar closes at night?!? But, it's the Great Bazaar! Not the Pretty-good-from-9-to-5 Bazaar. Nightime is when half the planes get up to head off to work. Half the cutters buying or selling there have darkvision or low light vision and jink is worth the same whether its dark or light out; why would the place ever shut down? The place might slow down some at night, or it may in fact be the time when the biggest deals are struck. If some sods want to pack up and go home for the night I'm sure there'd be plenty of other sellers eager to grab up the free space to set up kip. I'd imagine merchants with the best spots would never risk leaving; they'd probably sell their bodies to the dustmen before dying and being carried out of the place. :p

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads