D&D Movie/TV The D&D Movie Has Begun Filming!

Director Jonathan Goldstein tweeted "The campaign begins" with the following image! Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley will be directing the film which features "an ensemble cast and take a subversive approach to the game." The film stars Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Justice Smith, Hugh Grant, and Rege-Jean Page...

Director Jonathan Goldstein tweeted "The campaign begins" with the following image!

Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley will be directing the film which features "an ensemble cast and take a subversive approach to the game."

The film stars Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Justice Smith, Hugh Grant, and Rege-Jean Page.

hopeless

Adventurer
To literally anyone, yes.

Okay how about a scenario that starts off with a nautiloid fleeing combat only a group of "heroes" got aboard or at least one or two managed to get aboard and freed the captives resulting in a massive fight as they try to take over the vessel and reach safety.
Quickest route is simply to show flashbacks of the fight and then have them wake up on the beach with wreckage scattered across both the beach and the water.
Make it clear they haven't been possessed and are now stuck trying to find their way to the nearest settlement.
Eventually make it, but its not their world and they have no idea where they are.
Cue having to find a way to survive leading to their first mission make it simply deal with giant rats in the inn's basement.
Those rats are getting in due to an opening leading into a forgotten catacomb and this deals with their first real exposure to the local world.
Confronted by a trio of skeletons and their skeleton lord they eventually manage to beat them learning more about the history of the place, a little treasure and some income in addition to clearing out the basement for their first night stay at the inn.
Probably getting ahead of myself here, but what would you hope to see from this?

I think the "subversive approach" just means that somebody in marketing decided that labeling things as "subversive" is trendy. We shouldn't read to much into it.
I suspect in this case what it is likely to actually mean is that the adventurers behave like typical D&D adventurers (i.e. a bit paranoid, greedy, over-ambitious, excessively self-confident, and so on), rather than the sort of noble and heroic figures one might expect from say LotR.

EDIT - Indeed it would almost be typecasting to have Chris Pine as the sole survivor (or one of a few) of a previous adventuring party who were noble and heroic, but who got nearly TPK'd by some dungeon or foe, and is now found drinking in some tavern somewhere, embittered and untrusting. It's an overused trope but I could easily see it.

Last edited:

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Prediction: this will not be serious business fantasy, completely immersed in the world. This is a D&D Movie. It will highlight the actual game being played by actual real world people, with jobs, who dork around when they sit around the table with friends. The movie will jump into the “fantasy world and spends lots of time there”. Critical hits being rolled then shown in world, badly timed bad rolls then shown in world. DM fudging rolls. Maybe even in-world characters saying things their table-players are saying.

Prediction: this will not be serious business fantasy, completely immersed in the world. This is a D&D Movie. It will highlight the actual game being played by actual real world people, with jobs, who dork around when they sit around the table with friends. The movie will jump into the “fantasy world and spends lots of time there”. Critical hits being rolled then shown in world, badly timed bad rolls then shown in world. DM fudging rolls. Maybe even in-world characters saying things their table-players are saying.
I will honestly be surprised if they take this approach. It's very "cool/novel idea in 2005". Not saying that as a burn, just an observation.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I am seriously hoping that "subversive approach to the game" does not mean "D&D players from Earth being hurled into a D&D world!" (which would almost certainly mean the Forgotten Realms.) That kind of cheap garbage plot would be awful.

It was passable for a Saturday morning cartoon in the early '80s, but for an actual live-action Dungeons & Dragons movie it would be unbelievably tacky Isekai trash.

(I cannot stand Isekai, which is a manga/anime genre in which otaku/hikikomori from Earth/Japan are suddenly magically transported into generic Japanese videogame-style Fantasy worlds, or in the cheesiest versions they are instead merely somehow "stuck" inside an actual VR videogame that they cannot leave for some convoluted reason and they can somehow be killed for real in the game. Their knowledge of how Fantasy manga and Japanese-style Fantasy videogames work somehow acts as a sort of cheat code that allows them to effortlessly and undeservedly become total masters of magic, combat, and attracting hordes of anime babes to form harems around them and fight over them, therefore the obsession that made them outcasts on Earth instead becomes a skill that makes them the absolute masters of their new world. They are the worst kind of cheesy formulaic power-fantasy wish fulfillment trash, but unfortunately the genre has become incredibly popular in shonen manga and anime in Japan over the past several years, to the utter detriment of the industry.)
Huh. Your rant made me interested in watching some of these. I could use a little cheesy, power-fantasy, wish fulfillment trash in my life right now.

I'll have to look this up. The only anime I've watched in Death Note and Attack on Titan. What are some of the more popular offenders that I might check out?

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Huh. Your rant made me interested in watching some of these. I could use a little cheesy, power-fantasy, wish fulfillment trash in my life right now.

I'll have to look this up. The only anime I've watched in Death Note and Attack on Titan. What are some of the more popular offenders that I might check out?
Sword Art Online, and, Didn't I say to make my abilities average in the next life, are two I enjoyed.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
What are some of the more popular offenders that I might check out?
Also liked Sword Art Online. Re:Zero is kind of an inversion of the genre. Guy is pulled in expecting to have powers because that’s the way his the manga he reads tell him it works. Except he’s normal but keeps getting killed and respawning at respawn points keeping is knowledge of what happened each time.

Overlord just leans in to the genre, the main character is a top tier game character when a MMORPG is shut down and is pulled in as that character.

Remove ads

Remove ads