D&D Movie/TV The D&D Movie Has Begun Filming!

Director Jonathan Goldstein tweeted "The campaign begins" with the following image!

Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley will be directing the film which features "an ensemble cast and take a subversive approach to the game."

The film stars Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Justice Smith, Hugh Grant, and Rege-Jean Page.

Huh - I'd say (one of) their problem(s) was they were too serious.
They where a bit uneven, with broad comedy competing with attempted epic-ness. I think if they wanted to fit it into the same universe at LotR film trilogy they should have made it explicit that Bilbo was an unreliable narrator.

Whatever, it doesn't suffer from the excessive earnestness of post-GoT TV.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I'm not tremendously worried about "subversive." It can literally mean anything*, and, for that matter, if they are subverting a prior subversion, aren't they just reverting?

*I'm sure it's just the buzz du jour when you're pitching and marketing. Who wants to say, "Yes, we are making a basic movie. So basic. All we are going to do is present your standard tropes, maybe reify them a little. We will not color outside of any lines, and we will do our absolute best to make sure that every damsel is in distress, and every canard is old."

No, of course not! "This is going to be new, and amazing, and will totally subvert your expectations while created a summer tentpole and shared universe going forward to allow for franchising, fast food merchandising, and toys and will still appeal to the crucial 18-29 demographic, while also coming in with an 'edgy' PG-13 rating for those teens. We know how our fellow kids do!"

hopeless

Adventurer
I can't see them doing that better than the Witcher did!
They could try more of the Gamer's style on that though.
Admittedly Sam Riegel could pull that off though!

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases