D&D 5E The Scout Rogue - how did it work out?

Why not just use the Outlander background? Seems like it would bridge the gap well?
Because of the "if you don't already have it." regarding nature and survival. If you take it with your background you lose one to two skill proficiencies by RAW. Although you could just read it as. You gain them if you don't already have them... Otherwise just take a different one or two.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Level 1-2 in 5e are... training wheels. Nothing wrong in starting at level 3 if everyone knows the rules. I perfectly know what you mean though, and it's a problem with several classes. Eldritch knight, I'm looking at you....
I'm assuming that new fighting styles for cantrips will show up in Tasha's. That will go a long way to fixing the eldritch knight issue I think since the biggest issue for me is that knowing that's what I'll be but I can't start with magic.

Otherwise I would allow some class abilities to be sealed around with a subclass if that locked things in.

Last edited:

Horwath

Legend
Agreed. Nevertheless, one does not suddenly become an expert in something. In D&D, we have three levels of training, non-proficient, proficient, and expert. How would one go from being a non-proficient computer programmer to an expert programmer without first becoming a proficient one?

So what?

in 3.5E you could burn more than 10 skill points in a skill that you had 0 level before.

What about Lore Bard, you could also get skill+expertise at level 3 without having any before.

I worry most about the survivalist ability:

Survivalist
When you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you gain proficiency in the Nature and Survival skills if you don't already have it. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses either of those proficiencies.​

I feel like it punishes players who take Nature and Survival as skills at first level or suddenly grants them expertise at 3rd.

Just let them pick 2 different skills at 3rd level so it's a wash.

What I wouldn't accept would be: "Yesterday, I found his spell book in my uncles attic. Now today I'm a wizard."
Do not watch the Star Wars movies...you won't be able to suspend disbelief. 😀

My advice is don't let your personal aesthetic get in the way of fun.
A magic tome that whispers secrets that only it's bonded owner can hear, and allows it owner to cast magic without help from divinities, mystical ancestries, or powerful magical patrons.... Is still mechanically a spellbook. It just has more evocative story elements, but no extra mechanical hassles.

A rules light system, gives room for any story to be strong. A rules heavy system, only allows certain stories to be told.

Which are also propositions I would reject
So most of your 11+ group don't read English, and you only translate options that you find meet your personal criteria.....isn't that a bit authoritarian for a collaborative game?

Do not watch the Star Wars movies...you won't be able to suspend disbelief. 😀

Star wars doesn't have spell books. Being in jedi is something inborn as grows steadily over time. It doesn't necessary require long ours of study to awaken (level 1 in said class), though it might require long hours of study to master (i.e. more than one class level). My example referenced wizards and spellbooks, not jedi.

My advice is don't let your personal aesthetic get in the way of fun.

My own personal aesthetic is paramount. It is the fun. I play for the world-building aspect more than anything else.

So most of your 11+ group don't read English, and you only translate options that you find meet your personal criteria.....isn't that a bit authoritarian for a collaborative game?

It's only authoritarian if I force players to join my table and chain them in my basement. Otherwise, it's simply the way my game/my world is. Why can't you play a glamour bard? Because they're obnoxious. (Though I'm open to being convinced otherwise.) Why can't you play a dwarf? Actually, if you ask, you can. My general guideline is "human only," but I'm open to exceptions. 8 humans, a minotaur fighter, and a pixie wild magic sorcerer sounds like a fun party - but I'm not a fan of Mos Eisley, where everyone's a monster.

As for options, I have a player handout that summarizes the options I allow in the game. I'm also open to other suggestions, so long as they fit the themes and logic of the world. (I've had someone play a flying sentient dollhouse before - that was fun. It also made sense in the contest of that game.)

If that feels authoritarian, that's fine. Then I'm authoritarian. If the game wasn't fun, my players would have quit. I'm also very specific about the potential players I choose to invite. Some might call that gatekeeping. If so, I'm a gatekeeper. I simply find it prudent.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I'm assuming that new fighting styles for cantrips will show up in Tasha's. That will go a long way to fixing the eldritch knight issue I think since the biggest issue for me is that knowing that's what I'll be but I can't start with magic.

Otherwise I would allow some class abilities to be sealed around with a subclass if that locked things in.
Personally, I would never waste a fighting style for cantrips, especially when I would get them at level 3 anyway.

FWIW, to make up for Paladins and Rangers not getting spells until level 2, we house-ruled they get cleric and druid cantrips (respectively) as well. It makes no sense to me the two subclasses (EK and AT) get cantrips, but the two half-caster classes don't... :cautious:

Remove ads