The Untamed Wilds: Caravan Campaign

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Sannit nods, "We'll let you know if we kill any giant beetles."
Maeli -
Giant beetles! Oh my!. The black lacquer came from beetles about the size of your fist. I've never seen one larger than a man's head. I will warn you though, some beetles can be quite dangerous. They can produce noxious fumes or may be venomous.
OOC: One of each stone is left for Maeli to identify for 100 clams credit up front. She agrees to purchase the snake teeth, the zinc, and the extra stones. A break is taken for lunch before heading to see Raven, the Tanner. Merin and Tor also have items made.

OOC: Collective Possessions after Lunch:
3 pack animals: 1 female donkey, 2 female burros
2 Snake skins (100% coverage each)
1 Pig Hide (20% coverage)
1 Deer Hide (30% coverage)
19 Snake Teeth
28 Copper Ingots
1 Iron Ingot
1 Silver Ingot
1 Shiny brown Stone
Directions to a Citrus Orchard

Sold Items:
100 Snake Teeth: 20 clams
13 Zinc Ingots: 26 clams
14 Shiny White Stones: 140 clams
3 Shiny Grey Stones: 48 clams

Expenditures:
Identification: 100 clams
Jewelry: 200 clams
Mend Bark: 40 clams
Soothe Bark: 40 clams
Lunch: 80 clams

Party Inventory

OOC: Sannit's boots will only use 10% of the snake skin. That will leave 190% coverage of material. A tunic and shendyt for Saemund will use the other 90%, leaving one full skin of 100% coverage.

Last edited:

MacConnell

Day 29: Afternoon

After a leisurely midday meal, the Seekers head to see Raven the Tanner.

unnamed_3.png

Raven -
Greeting Seekers. How may I be of service, today?
OOC: A Few Thing to Note:
Tor and Sannit are not wearing bottoms, though tunic / hauberk cover to mid-thigh. Ansylin covering is a shendyt. Centrin covering is a kilt.
Tor, Merin, Sannit, Bolo, and Saemund are all barefoot or only wearing sandals.
Merin and Seamund are not armored about torso and legs.

Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Sannit greets Raven and shows him the snakeskins, "We've got some new material for you to work with. These beauties thought they were going to make us lunch, but now we'll wear their hide. I would like a set of boots made, knee high." He glances over his shoulder to Bolo and Turtle out in the street. She has the bear on his hind legs twirling around in clumsy circles. "If I can get the bear to hold still can you make some pieces to protect him without slowing him down?"

MacConnell

Sannit greets Raven and shows him the snakeskins, "We've got some new material for you to work with. These beauties thought they were going to make us lunch, but now we'll wear their hide. I would like a set of boots made, knee high." He glances over his shoulder to Bolo and Turtle out in the street. She has the bear on his hind legs twirling around in clumsy circles. "If I can get the bear to hold still can you make some pieces to protect him without slowing him down?"
Raven looks the skins over.
I like these skins. These snakes must have been enormous. I don't know how you do it, but your skins are always cured well.

I will need one day to prepare the skin then one day to make the boots. It should only take a small portion of one of these skins to make those boots. You are looking at only 100 clams for the labor.

What do you want to do with the rest of it?

As to the bear, because of the way their anatomy shifts when they move and go from all-fours to standing, it is not really possible to make anything that would accommodate one. At least, I can see no way to do so. Sorry about that.

Oh, since you all are back, what did you learn at the Hollow of Bones
?
Information on Skins

Sheldon greets Raven and responds -
That is a good question. We have not discussed the snake skins or the other two pieces. After taking to Maeli, I have a different request. I would like to have these greaves I am wearing lacquered.
Raven -
To be fair, since Maeli discovered the process, she handles the lacquering. You will see and pay her for the service. We are going to make a few pieces to offer in the Trade Store, though we have not done so yet.

Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
When Raven has a moment to listen, Sannit relates the tale of the Hollow of Bones.

"It was a long, hard trip. On the way we faced many creatures, including the giant snakes living in a bowl-like depression in the river. When we reached the hollow, we found the deadly cacti, and another odd thing, a sacrificed Aedaman victim. When we tracked his killers we found them to be local tribesmen, mindless and raving, attacking without warning or mercy. We dispatched them easily, and followed their tracks back to a strange cave. More of the tribesmen came out, as mindless as the others, and we killed them just as easily.

Inside the cave we encountered more dangers, a swarm of bats, and a madwoman screaming at us in a foreign tongue and hurling balls of fire at us. We have the burns on our clothes as proof if you doubt me. We had to retreat from that onslaught and it was then we discovered what had turned the tribesmen so vicious. When the bats bit us, they gave us some strange disease. We were able to concoct some medicine from the local fauna which allowed us to fight off the illness, but we knew we could not leave those bats to bite others.

We went back, burned the bats with fire so that non escaped, and then we had to deal with the madwoman again. She got us with another ball of fire before my mate could wound her with a well placed arrow. After she fell we found the copper deposit for Giodavi and returned. We made sure to tell him to warn anyone else venturing out that way about the bats and their illness."

GM: Excellent rendition. +1 XP for Sannit.

Last edited by a moderator:

MacConnell

Raven Mulls over the Tale

When Raven has a moment to listen, Sannit relates the tale of the Hollow of Bones.

"...a madwoman screaming at us in a foreign tongue and hurling balls of fire at us. We have the burns on our clothes as proof if you doubt me."
Raven rubs the talisman hanging about his neck.
I do not doubt you. I have heard of this before. Ancient tales my mother used to tell us. I thought most to be superstition meant to keep wayward children in line, but not all. Did this woman use powders and potions?
When his question is confirmed, Raven continues.
I know nothing of this thing first hand, but I have heard other stories since. A curse or gift depending on who is doing the telling, but my people say that these special powers are due to the inhabitation of some spirit or dark being. I know not of any validity to this, but the commonality in all the stories is the powders and potions. It is likely why even benevolent herbalists never stay in one place very long.
OOC: Raven takes the one snake skin and some measurements from Sannit.

I should have your boots ready by sunset the day after tomorrow.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Merin says, "I've been thinking; Sannit is right, our legs and feet are woefully un-protected. A tunic covers to mid-thigh, but I was wondering: could a longer tunic be made, akin to a shortened robe, which comes to mid-calf, or to the top of the sandal laces? It would still hang high enough not to be a trip hazard, and it could be split in the front like a coat. That way, it would not inhibit running. Another thing I have been wondering about: sandals protect only the bottoms of one's feet. The laces serve only to keep it tied in place. But could some sort of sleeve be made, that wraps around the calf, and ties with laces, that could be put on FIRST, before the sandal, so that the sandal's laces aren't wrapped around the bare skin of one's calf, but rather, around the protective sleeve? Tor and I have discussed it, this is what we'd like, preferably out of some sort of scaled skin; the snake skin, if enough is left, or perhaps crocodile skin, if there isn't."

Tor smiles and nods in agreement.

MacConnell

Raven replies to Merin

Merin says, "I was wondering: could a longer tunic be made, akin to a shortened robe, which comes to mid-calf, or to the top of the sandal laces? It would still hang high enough not to be a trip hazard, and it could be split in the front like a coat.

Another thing I have been wondering about, could some sort of sleeve be made, that wraps around the calf, and ties with laces, that could be put on FIRST, before the sandal, so that the sandal's laces aren't wrapped around the bare skin of one's calf, but rather, around the protective sleeve?

Tor and I have discussed it, this is what we'd like, preferably out of some sort of scaled skin; the snake skin, if enough is left, or perhaps crocodile skin, if there isn't."
Raven smiles -
I will answer your second question first as it is simple. What you are describing is greaves. Several of you friends, here, are already wearing them. As only a small portion of that black snake skin is need for Sannit's boots, I can make greaves for the both of you from the same skin. I can double layer it as well to make it more protective. Including Sannit's boots, I can complete both greaves the following day.
OOC: Snake Skin: -40%
Cost: 200 clams
Time: 3 days

As to croccodilian skin, that knobbed lizard you killed is the only I have seen. Croccodilians are more common in the jungles and swamps. I do not have anything more protective than deerskin.

The other armor you describe sounds like what I would call a surcoat. I can certainly make such from the second skin. It will likely only take one additional day
OOC: Snake Skin: -80%
Cost: 100 clams
Time: 4 days

Party Inventory

Last edited:

MacConnell

Seeing the the group has stagnated into indecision, Sheldon goes back to Maeli the Herbalist to see about having his greaves lacquered. He hopes the rest can conclude business with Raven the Tanner and move on to Lyndha at the Trade Store.

OOC: Cost: 100 clams
Before: Cover 10%: Soak 12: Hinder 6
After: Cover 10%: Soak 20: Hinder 8

Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Since Sheldon split up the group, and his business with Raven is concluded, Sannit goes to find Bolo and Turtle to play and train with them. He finds his mate and her pet wrestling and he investigates her discarded sandles, the soles thin and the straps flimsy. After watching the match, he takes her back to Raven for measurements on her own pair of boots.

Sannit claps Saemund on the back. "Not a bad way to join a group, huh? This snakeskin is better than anything else you can buy here. You might want to think of a pair of boots to go with your new outfit too."

Last edited:

Remove ads