The Western Jungle (PbP)

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Technical Post:
GM: Data for Clothing of Merin:
ItemCoverDeflectSoakHinder
Blue Lacquered Crocodilian Bracers2024712
Blue Lacquered Laminar Deerskin Belt101675
Snakeskin Surcoat80818
Ansylin Silk Tunic60206
Acrylon Shendyt30426
Harnin Greaves20302020

Data for Clothing of Vadin:
ItemCoverDeflectSoakHinder
Laminar Bovine Spaulders2018712
Crocodilian Tunic6016324
Acrylon Hauberk604212
Acrylon Kilt30426
Laminar Goatskin Greaves20836
Goatskin Knee Boots20838

Data for Clothing of Matumbo:
ItemCoverDeflectSoakHinder
Lizard Tunic6010112
Pigskin Shirt30416
Lizard Skirt301016
Acrylon Skirt30426
Snakeskin Knee Boots20812
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Merin rises, saying, "I think Matumbo is right; let's go Vadin. On the sly. Stay hidden."

Merin will then use Way to perform the following tasks:

1. Dampen sound around himself.
2. Soullessness.
3. Night Vision.
4. Darkening his skin.

84, 51, 61, & 83
 
Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Matumbo... attempts to bend light around himself as Sheldon did. He will then follow along the path, keeping an eye out for the hidden Seeker.
Merin will then (manipulate waylines) to perform the following tasks:
1. Dampen sound around himself.
2. Soullessness.
3. Night Vision.
4. Darkening his skin.
GM: For the players this is probably nothing more than vocabulary, but characters do not "use" waylines to perform mystical feats. The "use" of waylines indicates analysis, which infers Divination. In order to perform mystical feats, even simple ones, waylines must be abused. They must be changed from their natural state, which is why I use the term "manipulate" waylines.

Seeing the feat that Sheldon performed as he was departing company earlier, reminds Matumbo of even greater things he has seen the more powerful members of his former clan do. The masters of those feats are enhanced warriors, called Echoes, feared even among the other Deviard. It is likely that an Echo came to kill his parents. Seeing someone as jovial as Sheldon perform something once thought terrible indicates that it is not the talent to manipulate waylines that makes one malevolent. It must be something else that drives the other Deviard.

No one else in the party has that particular talent like Sheldon. As a Philosopher, he is becoming a master of bending light. Merin's particular talent lies with the manipulation of sound, while Vadin and Matumbo are similarly more tuned to pheromones and alchemy.
Effectiveness: Essence + Collegiate + post-Collegiate + pre-Alteration + Confluence
Sheldon: 41%
Merin: 61%
Vadin: 41%
Matumbo: 23%
Even with the slightly enhanced vision, moving through the scrub at night is more difficult than expected. In very short order, Merin realizes that he can see much better than the others. Instead of trying to follow a trail that does not seem to exist, or crosses various other game trails that look identical, the three men take a bering on the cliff wall and move directly toward it. Once it is reached, the decision is made to move farther south, hoping to find a break that will allow egress within.
Effectiveness: Essence + Collegiate + Aberrative + Manifest Will + Confluence
Merin: 61%
Effectiveness: Essence + Collegiate + Aberrative + Manifest Will + Adhesion
Merin: 52%
Effectiveness: Essence + Collegiate + Adhesion
Merin: 32%
Vadin: 31%
Matumbo: 23%
Effectiveness: Stealth + various Collegiate + d100
Stealth: Mind + Commercial + Obscurative + Subterfuge + Knowledge + Motility
Sheldon: 53 + 41 + 89 = 183%
Merin: 35 + 61 + 52 + 32 + 84 = 264%
Vadin: 43 + 31 + 72 = 146%
Matumbo: 51 + 23 + 72 = 146%
Effectiveness: Sociology + Tranquility + d100
Sheldon: 30 + 52 + 89 = 171%
When the three travelers reach a distinctly dark crevice in the cliff wall, some instinct causes them to pause. Even with enhanced vision, it is like trying to see within a cave. A strange quietness seems to fill the sky above, followed by an odd windy sound. A heavy thud resounds in front of Merin's feet. Looking closely, it is the body of a young Da'Roneh.

Unable to see Merin, but noticing the other two, it is fortunate that Sheldon did not hit Merin with the corpse. In a whispered voice as if speaking only to Vadin or Matumbo, Merin asks, "Sheldon is that you?"

Carried by the wind at Merin's command, the faint whisper is carried far above to where Sheldon is standing, unseen, looking down. In response, a dimly glowing pebble strikes the ground near the fallen corpse. A second pebble bounces within the hidden path that leads into the rock. Though extremely faint, the glowing stone allows the others to see how to proceed.

The path is so narrow that Matumbo has to turn sideways a couple of time. It is obvious that Torvald, had he been along, could not traverse this path. By using yet a third dimly glowing stone Sheldon shows himself to the rest of the party from up ahead. He motions for everyone to follow him up the divergent path to the lookout post above where the group is more free to speak. There are five more bodies up top.
OOC: All characters receive 2 DP.
 
Last edited:

Kwargrow

Adventurer
Matumbo nods at the bodies and says with a wide grin to Sheldon, "And here I thought you were going to wait for us. It seems clear that your abilities rival the best of what this valley has to offer. If you wish to lead on, then I will follow you against these offensive Deviard."
Matumbo will patiently wait for someone else to take the lead.
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Merin pauses for a moment to manipulate Way; he augments his physicals (Strength, Motility, Health) before continuing.

Merin says, "Well, this path seems to lead us to the Da'Roneh, not the Deviard. But I'm sure we'll meet up with them as well, in the long run. By the way, Sheldon, be careful where you drop your bodies. You almost squashed me." Merin chuckles lightly.

Merin continues,
"Let's get moving."

And with that, Merin takes the lead, following the path toward the Da'Roneh village.

65, 42, 55
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Matumbo nods at the bodies and says with a wide grin to Sheldon, "... It seems clear that your abilities rival the best of what this valley has to offer..."
Matumbo will patiently wait for someone else to take the lead.
Sheldon shakes his head and laughs. "No. I think not. I remember, well, the last time we were here. We made some advance upon the Da'Roneh, but the Deviard could hit us with lightning from a distance we could not even see them. We did not know what we were up against, before. I think we should fare better this time."

"As for these, chumps..." He pauses for a second to gather his thoughts.

"I speak Centrin as a first language. In Ansylin, I guess I would call them fodder. I actually feel a little bad about what I did. They did not even stand a chance, but there is no negotiating with these people."

Merin pauses for a moment to manipulate Way; he augments his physicals (Strength, Motility, Health) before continuing.
Sheldon cannot see Merin very well, even with his vision enhanced for the night, but he can readily sense what he is doing and wondering why.

Merin says, "Well, this path seems to lead us to the Da'Roneh, not the Deviard... Let's get moving."

And with that, Merin takes the lead, following the path toward the Da'Roneh village.
Merin takes about two steps back the direction from which he arrived and stops, realizing no one is following. It is full on dark, and no one else can see nearly as well as Merin can.

Sheldon, who is not whispering but is speaking with relatively quiet, addresses Merin. "Where are going!? I can tell by the way that you are moving you can see much better than the rest of us, but it would be foolhardy to attempt a night raid into an established village when we know so little of it. I can fair say there will be much more competent foes than these six, well, five since I threw one off the cliff."

"It was still light when I arrived, so I can tell you what I know that you cannot see. This outpost appears to be more a living lookout. There are two huts that can sleep six each. There is a permanent fire pit and a water collection system. I do not think that the guards here change out, regularly. I think they stay here until they spot a target traveling the road, then attack. Once they return with spoils, I am guessing that they return to the main village to be replaced by another group of young bandits."

"I only found the one path. I think we can establish a base of operation at this location and make raids into the village. Yes, it is the Da'Roneh village. I cannot believe you forgot. The Deviards are on the other side of the lake."

"I tried to signal you all using light, earlier, but even if you had noticed, you could not have known it was me. Sorry about the body," He laughs. "I could see Vadin and Matumbo. Glad I did not hit you."
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Merin laughs, "I didn't forget. It was Matumbo who was talking about the Deviard. But that's only natural, considering what the Echoes did to his parents. But anyway, back to the Da'Roneh: using this post as a base sounds like a good idea. And I'm starting to realize that you are correct; I can see well enough to move around, but not enough to scout effectively. Let's get some rest, and get up with the dawn. Then we can discuss our next move."
 
Last edited:

Kwargrow

Adventurer
Matumbo nods at the conversation and says, "My mistake. I thought we were going against the Deviard first, since they are stronger after the Seekers defeated the Da'Roneh in battle. If you want to take out the weaker threat first, then I will follow your lead."
He will leave camp to scout around, keeping as silent as possible.
03
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Merin laughs, "... Let's get some rest, and get up with the dawn. Then we can discuss our next move."
Matumbo nods at the conversation and says, "... I thought we were going against the Deviard first..."
He will leave camp to scout around, keeping as silent as possible.
GM: From Before:
Effectiveness: Essence + Collegiate + post-Collegiate + pre-Alteration + Confluence
Sheldon: 41%
Merin: 61%
Vadin: 41%
Matumbo: 23%
This means that Merin can see 61% as well at night as he could during the day. Sheldon and Vadin can see less than half as well, while Matumbo can only see 23% as well as he could during the day.

Sheldon answers, "Well, we wanted to see how the Da'Roneh were managing to make raids on the caravans. Also, to go at your former village first, we would have had to go through the jungle and come at the valley from the other side. Merin and I thought this would be better when we discussed it some several days back, long before we even decided to make the trip."

Like Merin had, Matumbo begins to walk away, but as soon as he is away from the dim light stone that Sheldon is holding, he realizes that he can barely see to walk around, much less actually find anything. From a pouch sheldon pulls three more of the dimly glowing stones and hands them to each of the others.

"I can make several of these at a time. I chose to keep them dim because I do not want the light to penetrate the jungle and alert the Da'Roneh village. They will glow for most of the night."

The party uses the available huts and spends the night in relative comfort. In the morning light, everyone gets a clear picture of where they are situated. The lookout camp is built back into the trees, but a bald outcropping juts toward the east at this location. A person can readily see the road from the outcropping, but the chances of being noticed from below are negligible, especially if the lookout is lying down.

West of the immediate treeline, back toward the hidden valley, it becomes evident that Sheldon's previous caution was for naught. The mountain chain rises again, cutting off egress. The only path to this lookout and from the road to the village at this location is the fatman's misery, a ravine so narrow it seems to have been designed for the Faethrin by the gods.

Following the cut in the rock it does not really matter who is in the lead, for travel is necessarily slow. The cut opens on the other side of the peaks, still at a relatively high elevation. The larger of the trees that contain residences for the Da'Roneh can be identified as the poke above the rest of the canopy. Some hint of structure way on the other side of the valley must belong to the Deviard who reside there.

Out of the cut in the rock and down into the valley, the four men can fan out and walk parallel paths. From this secret direction, there does not appear to be guard posts as there were on the north end of the lake, which means that the nearest structure, secured up in a gigantic tree, should be a residence. Rope ladders allow access and arboreal pathways have been manufactured between the structures.

The sounds about the village all seem normal, voices can be heard, and the party is not near enough to have yet been noticed.
 
Last edited:

Kwargrow

Adventurer
Matumbo speaks in Deviard, "I used to despise the Da'Roneh. I was taught they were inferior people only worth killing so that our tribe could rule the valley. I see now how our two peoples were pitted against each other in pointless conflict. I pity the Da'Roneh, and I pity those I once called my tribe. This beautiful, rich valley deserves better than two continuous warring tribes."
If Matumbo can recognize the 'hint of a structure' he will identify it to the Seekers.
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Merin says, "Let's try to get a bit closer, so we can pick up on one or more of the conversations. We should try to scout around, and get a good look at the village, to ascertain how well they've been able to recover since our attack, and to see if there are any weak points in their defenses."

Merin then begins to augment himself, by manipulating Way. He assumes that the others will prepare themselves in a similar fashion; once everyone is ready, he will lead the way toward the village, confident in his stealth abilities.

Clairaudience = 28
Dampen Sound = 39
Hide = 81
Bend Light = 58
Soullessness = 79
 
Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Matumbo speaks in Deviard, "I used to despise the Da'Roneh..."
Though none of the other three can understand him yet, they listen to all of his words, sensing their emotive portent.
OOC: Each character improves in Deviard by 1%.

If Matumbo can recognize the 'hint of a structure' he will identify it to the Seekers.
Surveying the entire valley as much as possible before relocating, it dawns on the party members, including Matumbo, that the rim of the valley is the top edge of a caldera from an ancient volcano. The valley formed after it, long ago, blew out its top and became dormant. Looking across the canopy to the other side, the tell-tale signs of distinct smoke can be seen rising on the other ridge.

Matumbo points to the smoke and says, "az e'pulet a fe'm kova'cs."

Realizing that he is still speaking in Deviard, he translates. "That building is the metal smith."

Seeing the location of the smith, Matumbo is able to postulate the location of several mines and the temple. He fans his hands to indicate the scattering of individual living quarters. The temple he warns has dangers. That is where they train the Echoes. He also notes, as if surprised he did not notice it first thing, that the Da'Roneh appear to have cleared all of the undergrowth within their village proper.
Merin says, "Let's try to get a bit closer..."

Merin then begins to augment himself, by manipulating (Waylines)...
Using the gambit of skills available to them, the party first takes note of the provided information concerning the Deviard, then begins to assess the Da'Roneh village. Not particularly needing to get too close, the men take most of the remains of the day to move around the outskirts.

Guard stations or observation posts have been constructed on the north and south ends of the village, which is the route by which the Deviard would have to approach them. It is also noted that nothing new has been developed on the northern end, which has egress to the Western Jungle outside the valley. The southern end of the valley does not appear to have any opening.

Smaller structures, indicative of individual homes, skirt the edge of the village. A few larger building can be seen to occupy the central area. A few people are seen gathering supplies and food from the central lake, whose waters have risen with the Drenching Season. All other Da'Roneh seem actively engaged in training for battle. No one is very friendly with one another. It is difficult to gauge numbers, perhaps a hundred residents.

Away from the observation posts in the north and south, it appears that several individual homes may be entered by stealth, without much risk of discovery by ones outside those structures. As the days wanes to a close, the party returns to the lookout post to discuss their options.
OOC: All characters receive 2 DP.
 
Last edited:

Kwargrow

Adventurer
To be sure he is understood clearly, Matumbo says in Ansylin, "We could try sneak in, but Matumbo not so good with that. Fighting with bow and blade better for me."
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Merin says, "We should sneak into a few of these outer-perimeter houses, and kill a few residents discreetly, so as to thin the herd before we go in hardcore. What say the rest of you?"
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
To be sure he is understood clearly, Matumbo says in Ansylin, "We could try sneak in, but Matumbo not so good with that. Fighting with bow and blade better for me."
Sheldon nods his head toward Matumbo. "With all that undergrowth cleared, sneaking in will become more difficult the further we penetrate; but with you on a bow, it allows you to keep an eye out for us from farther away. Merin and I should go in first, you and Vadin should follow."
Merin says, "We should sneak into a few of these outer-perimeter houses, and kill a few residents discreetly, so as to thin the herd before we go in hardcore. What say the rest of you?"
Sheldon takes a deep breath and runs his left hand through his hair, pulling it back from his face. "Naturally, I would like to balk at such a suggestion. It makes me feel bloody, but these people has as much chance of becoming civil as a disease ridden coyote. They are more monster than men."

He pauses for a moment, thinking. "I still think we should spare younger couples and children even if it means we will have to return and conquer these people again."

Ideologies can readily be discussed on the move. The four men leave their confiscated outpost and move back through the Fat Man's Misery Pass. Since conflict is more often occurring with the Deviard from the northern end of the village, the group decides to begin their insurgency from the southeast, picking a point about the middle of the southern end and where the pass enters.

Merindell and Sheldon, each concealing himself by the augmentation of manipulated waylines, quickly take the ladder to a random house, Sheldon pauses half way to the top, blinks into view, and motions for Vadin and Matumbo to move in.

With professional efficiency, the four men are up the tree and inside the hut without anyone from the outside seeming to give notice. Once inside, however, contrary to their ravenous nature, a young female grabs her suckling babe to her chest and screams as the young man lunges to attack and ensures his quick death.

The maternal instinct seems to be able to alter the hostility of even the most vile of beings. The woman only screams the once, holds her child with both arms, and edges away from her intruders. The woman clearly could be no threat even if she chose to be. The words are not important, for Sheldon speaks them in Centrin, but the woman and child both immediately succumb to the suggestion. "Why don't you lie down."

The hut is small and narrow, but it has several opening for viewing in most any direction and is circumscribed by an exterior walkway. With the volume of the initial scream, it should only be a matter of a minute or so before someone arrives to investigate. The room itself seems fairly defendable, even against a sizable onslaught, if no one decides to set it on fire.

"Well, do we stand and fight or do we take this to the ground?"
 
Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
For these veterans of several battles, the adrenaline does not rush into the system immediately. It eases into the bloodstream to become more of a force when action is imminently necessary. In the few seconds before any hostiles arrive, the subconsciousnesses of each man begin to assess the information accumulated as this destination was reached.

The entire village is arboreal, probably a calculated advantage for the agile and lithe Da'Roneh, especially against their stockier enemy across the lake, the Deviard. The huts, the ladders, and the bridges are all constructed of poles made from the cane that grows predominantly in and around the southern end of the lake. The usable cane is from the width of a man's arm to the width of his leg. The rope and lashings are made of various vines and sisal fibers readily collectible from the jungle.

The huts are all mounted at about the same level but their distance from the ground changes as the land is significantly sloped. Some of the outer trees hold more than one structure, probably familial residences. The larger structures more centrally located and nearer the lake are difficult to fully see due to impediment of the jungle canopy.

The Da'Roneh are likely only hostile toward other people since a myriad of colorful birds and small monkeys flit about the tress of the village proper. Though this enemy must hold some sentiment for their own kind, the sounds of those approaching to investigate the source of the previous scream do not seem to be hurried. If combat were limited to the mundane realm, this small hut would be an ideal choke point against a larger force, but the possibility that some of the elder Da'Roneh could and would ignite the thing calls for a change of venue.

A strategy must be developed that would cause some but not too many of the Da'Roneh to give chase. For too many might cause the battle to be spilled out of the valley and into the eastern scrub. This needs to be avoided. Being in the greater open expanse of the desert scrub would more readily allow the party to be surrounded.
 
Last edited:

Kwargrow

Adventurer
Matumbo will exit the hut, leaping down if feasible. He will quickly find cover and use his bow to fire at any hostile Da'Roneh he sees.
75, 97+05
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Sheldon said:
"I still think we should spare younger couples and children even if it means we will have to return and conquer these people again."
Merin nods, "Agreed. In a perfect world, I'd rather parlay with these people, and establish some sort of truce. But you're right, they're all touched by evil, in their mind, and perhaps in their very souls."

The GM said:
A strategy must be developed that would cause some but not too many of the Da'Roneh to give chase.
Merin follows Matumbo down; on the way, he whispers hurriedly to both his comrades.

Merin whispers "When they see the dead husband, they're going to be up in arms. I don't see how only a few would respond to such a bold incursion. However, if this happens, perhaps we should try to pacify them? And possibly use them as a distraction when we return?"
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Effectiveness: Mind + Commercial + Athletic + Coordination + Knowledge + Motility
Matumbo: 61 - 10(height in strides) = 51 {damage: 49% * 10 = 5}
Sheldon: 33 - 10 = 23 {damage: 77% * 10 = 8}
Effectiveness: Launch + Accuracy + Tranquility + d100
Launch: Body + Combat + Projectile + Motility
Accuracy: Mind + Commercial + Athletic + Prowess + Knowledge
Tranquility: Essence + Collegiate + post-Collegiate + Adhesion + Cohesion
Matumbo: 41 + 60 + 30 + 102 = 233 - 50(long range) = 183
Effectiveness: Avoidance + Analysis + d100
Da'Roneh: 15 + 19 + 50 = 84
damage: 183 - 84 = 99% * 11 = 10
Body: 8 - 10 = -2, incapacitated
Effectiveness: Bending + task + d100
Sheldon: 51 + 41(shock) + 83 = 175
Da'Roneh: 10(conditioning) + 21(fury) + 50(d100) = 81
damage: 175 - 81 = 94% * 10 = 9
Body: 8 - 10 = -1, incapacitated
Matumbo will exit the hut, leaping down if feasible. He will quickly find cover and use his bow to fire at any hostile Da'Roneh he sees.
As soon as Matumbo is out the door, he realizes that a jump from 10 strides up would likely cause him some damage, maybe even break a leg, so he instantly discards the idea, hurrying down the ladder as quickly as possible.

Sheldon muses aloud, "Take it to the ground it is," and follows after the Deviard.

Matumbo realizes that the gigantic trees will provide excellent cover, but only temporarily. With the lack of ground cover, as the enemy moves about, any taken position will eventually become visible.

Sheldon has the same thought to jump but quickly realizes that it would be almost fatal for him to do so. ~I need to work on that skill.~

Merin nods, "Agreed. In a perfect world, I'd rather parlay with these people, and establish some sort of truce. But you're right, they're all touched by (malevolence), in their mind, and perhaps in their very souls."

Merin follows Matumbo...

Merin whispers "... we should try to pacify them..."
OOC: I use the words benevolence and malevolence in my languages, instead of good and evil, since good and evil both need clarifiers to be definitive. The other two words do not.

When the four men reach the ground, moving back toward the Fat Man's Misery, they see that between 10 and 20 young Da'Roneh are coming toward them at a jog. Others are behind them, apparently moving slower. As Matumbo turns to take a position to fire his bow, he sees that all of them are passing by the previously infiltrated hut without a second glance. The woman has appeared with her child, screaming something in Da'Roneh. It is loud enough but only Matumbo understands that she is speaking of the killed man.

Even at long range, Matumbo puts an arrow deeply enough into one of the youth to incapacitate him. As the arrow flies, a second Da'Roneh, for no explainable reason, begins to shake violently and falls to the ground convulsing. In the shade of the trees, it looked as if electrical sparks were dancing about the body as it fell.

Matumbo has seen something similar with the Deviard Benders, perhaps Sheldon has a similar talent in manipulating waylines. Whatever Merindell can do, it is completely different.

Even with two Da'Roneh down so easily, it would be suicide for the party to attempt to stand and fight. There is no choice but to continue to move. Sheldon hollers in Ansylin. "Let's head North, back toward the pass to the jungle!"
OOC: Each character receives 2 DP. Those not fluent in Centrin or Da'Roneh increase in proficiency by 1%, each.
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Merin follows Sheldon and Matumbo without further conversation. If he senses anyone gaining on them, he will pause just long enough to turn, and clap his hands, sending a sonic wave of high pitched frequencies toward their pursuers; otherwise, he will pour on the speed.

Sonic Attack (Deafening Sound): 92+50(luck) = 142
 

Advertisement

Top