The Western Jungle (PbP)

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Merin smiles at the new recruit, and says, "Well, at the very least, we can offer you a chance to get payback against those who killed your parents."

Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Matumbo nods and his accent seems odd as it haltingly forms the Ansylin words, "Yes, justice must be served. This is more than revenge for my journey. The Deviard in the jungle have harmed themselves with refusing to grow in the mind. They still act as children, fighting and taking. My parents saw this, and taught me to think of more. I will go with you and show you the secrets of the jungle valley because I no longer consider that tribe as my people. If they perish I will not weep for them. My people are out there in the world. I will find them."
Matumbo will draw diagrams of the valley in the dirt to give a better layout, and at night he will attempt to learn more of the Ansylin language, and will teach the Deviard language.
fig45.gif

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Along the way, Merin searches for metal ores, because if memory serves, the last time through here, metal ores were found in abundance. He will also continue his habit of making detailed maps, adding to ones he has previously made, and/or re-drawing them as necessary.

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
GM: For Player Knowledge:
The Deviard are loosely based upon the ancient Hittites, more in culture and physique than in coloration or appearance. Despite their inherent hostility, the Deviard are credited with the discovery of iron and the impetus of the Iron Age. Unlike the Orngaddrin and Maldrog, the Deviard have used this discovery in the pursuit of war.

The Da'Roneh are loosely based upon the society of the Khmer Rouge and the Hmong people. Again, this is more in culture and physique than coloration and appearance. They are not specifically head hunters but honor is offered through conquest achievement.

Matumbo will draw diagrams of the valley in the dirt to give a better layout, and at night he will attempt to learn more of the Ansylin language, and will teach the Deviard language.
OOC: Even in such short time, Matumbo improves in Ansylin proficiency by 3%, while the others gain 1% knowledge of Deviard.

As it turns out, Matumbo knows most of the valley fairly well, especially his former village. The Deviard have a rather organized and structured layout, with specific mining forays into the western edge of the valley. The eastern side of the valley where the Da'Roneh reside is, as would make sense, rather unknown. The Seekers are already aware that the Da'Roneh dwell aloft in structures attached to the large trees. The Deviard have cleared more of the vegetation on their side and build dwellings of stone, partially carved into the mountain.
Along the way, Merin searches for metal ores, because if memory serves, the last time through here, metal ores were found in abundance. He will also continue his habit of making detailed maps, adding to ones he has previously made, and/or re-drawing them as necessary.
Having a particular affinity for metal due to his chosen path of collegiate skill, Sheldon scans the area for possible locations of ore as well as looking for danger.
Effectiveness: Ecology + Tranquility + d100
Ecology: Mind + Commercial + Mercantile + Trades
Tranquility: Essence + Collegiate + post-Collegiate + Cohesion + Adhesion
Merin: 30 + 52 + 50 = 132
Sheldon: 30 + 52 + 70 = 152
The ridgeline to the west can readily be seen from the road, as this is the closest point it makes as it winds its way between Asylim and Southroad Fair. It is only about an hour as the crow flies to the ridge from the road. The party takes about three hours of meander. Disappointingly, neither Merindell nor Sheldon senses or discovers any likely location for the acquisition of any metals, but the sub-desert scrub is not the normal place to be mining it, anyway.

What is discovered is the path that apparently leads to the hidden pass. Eying the path and looking back to the road and the ridge, it is deduced that a lookout point seems to be established upon the ridge, which leads to infer that this is how the Da'Roneh are knowing when to hit the caravans. It also stands to reason that the lookout station will be manned. With the crew only consisting of four people, it is not certain whether the presence of the men is known or not. From the current location, it should take about 20 minutes to reach the possible lookout.

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
The GM said:
"... Disappointingly, neither Merindell nor Sheldon senses or discovers any likely location for the acquisition of any metals, but the sub-desert scrub is not the normal place to be mining it, anyway."

Merin suggests, "If we're not finding metals here, perhaps we should switch to rocks, stones, and minerals? We shouldn't pass through an area like this without attempting to gather resources. Of course, now we have more pressing matters to attend to. Why don't we try to circle around, and sneak up on their blind side, if there is one."

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Matumbo says, "The valley tribes have been attacking each other for a long time. It is very hard to sneak up on the villages because there have been so many attacks. If we go at night, harder to see, but I still know the way."

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Merin nods in agreement, "Yes, that is a wise course of action. Vadin. I like the idea of going at night, also. I can heighten my eyesight with Way, so being able to see shouldn't be a problem. But what worries me is that the Da'Roneh also know the path of Way. In fact, they can manipulate sound, the way that I do. We should be cautious."

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
The four men settle down to wait for nightfall. The stunted mesquite trees provide enough shade from the burning sun, though no more than two can make use of a single tree.

Well, three men settle down. Sheldon cannot seem to get comfortable. He keeps fidgeting, until he finally says, "I am going to take a look around."

As he speaks, the sunlight and shadows bend and alter around him, obscuring his image. As he walks away, he is all but invisible. The casual observer would never even notice him.

As dusk is passing and night comes on, Sheldon has not returned.

Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Matumbo marvels at the ability Sheldon shows. He surmisses, "He should be waiting along the path for us since it is night now." Since the Seekers have allowed him to travel with them, he hypothesizes that they would not object to him replicating their techiniques. He attempts to bend light around himself as Sheldon did. He will then follow along the path, keeping an eye out for the hidden Seeker.
72, 42

Remove ads