• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Third party, DNDBeyond and potential bad side effects.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
That is OK for me. Actually that isbwhat they need to do. They don't want the book of erotic fantasy desaster again.

Maybe it is time though to seperate dndbeyond into different sections. For kids and for adults. Or have a parental control filter.
My concern is that incidents like that lead to a overly reactionary attitude towards content. And since they have so very much influence, that attitude can spill over into the larger industry, leading to potentially widespread self-censorship.

Remathilis

Legend
Nobody is complaining about the tools. C'mon. You know that. It's the marketplace we're talking about.
What I see though is people complaining that 3pp companies who refuse to work directly with WotC after the OGL debacle are getting less preferential treatment than those who are still willing to make a deal with WotC. Which does feel a bit like sour grapes, regardless of how predatory D&D Beyond's content system is.

mamba

Legend
What I see though is people complaining that 3pp companies who refuse to work directly with WotC after the OGL debacle are getting less preferential treatment than those who are still willing to make a deal with WotC. Which does feel a bit like sour grapes, regardless of how predatory D&D Beyond's content system is.
I am curious where you saw that, I did not notice the OGL entering this at all.

Any company not working with WotC will obviously not end up on DDB, regardless of why they choose not to. That is not preferential treatment on WotC's part.

Remathilis

Legend
I am curious where you saw that, I did not notice the OGL entering this at all.

Any company not working with WotC will obviously not end up on DDB, regardless of why they choose not to. That is not preferential treatment on WotC's part.
It's correlation, not causation. I'm sure prior to the OGL thing, people would have been more willing to see working with WotC as a good thing, but the well is poisoned enough that companies who would have considered it now won't.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
What I see though is people complaining that 3pp companies who refuse to work directly with WotC after the OGL debacle are getting less preferential treatment than those who are still willing to make a deal with WotC.
What on earth are you talking about? Please name one 3PP who has been invited to DDB and refused. Just one.

They’ve invited two publishers into the walled garden. There are no publishers “refusing to work with them”.

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
What on earth are you talking about? Please name one 3PP who has been invited to DDB and refused. Just one.

They’ve invited two publishers into the walled garden. There are no publishers refusing to work with them.
Isn't it three publishers now? Critical Role, Ghostfire, and Dungeon Dudes?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads