• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Third party, DNDBeyond and potential bad side effects.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
still doesn’t mean that I have to like it / not look / ask for improvements

They were idiotic with their OGL shenanigans, from my perspective they are short-sighted here
Short sighted by inviting third parties to share their platform...?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
none, but if a small one can afford to do it, I do not see why a large one cannot. I understand that they can be more greed driven and short-sighted than idealistic or long-term focused, but that does not mean that I have to excuse that, let alone justify / defend it
Could be that their products sell better when they do that. Still greed driven. Could also be a bit short-sighted. Imagine if Paizo had become the 800lb gorilla and replaced WOTC - that would have been directly because of the OGL. The dynamics just aren't the same for the little guys as the big guys.

mamba

Legend
Could be that their products sell better when they do that. Still greed driven. Could also be a bit short-sighted. Imagine if Paizo had become the 800lb gorilla and replaced WOTC - that would have been directly because of the OGL. The dynamics just aren't the same for the little guys as the big guys.
No, it would have been because they abandoned the OGL and its ecosystem, with all the benefits it provides WotC, and released a version of the game many people rejected.

If you are the center of the universe, then working on shrinking that universe does not benefit you.

The OGL / CC keeps WotC the central fulcrum, Paizo could have created something pretty close to PF without the OGL as well. The OGL benefits WotC at least as much as it benefited Paizo. Thanks to the OGL, WotC can pretend it has ownership of a lot of things it probably would find out it doesn’t, if this ever had to be decided in court. Thanks to the OGL, there is no need to settle this in court however

Hussar

Legend
They don’t put out 5e PDFs. Every other RPG company does. Morrus put just about all of A5e into the CC – way way more than the 5.1 SRD. Kobold Press puts out almost everything they publish in the OGL. Lots of companies are doing more than WOTC.
But, because they are using the OGL, how much choice do they actually have in putting things into the OGL? Other than proper nouns, how much of, say, Kobold's monster books could actually avoid being OGL, simply by virtue of publishing under the OGL?

This has been the perennial issue hasn't it? That 3pp publish under the OGL, making it freely available to all, while WOtC has never (or rarely) published under the OGL because they don't have to. This is hardly a new issue. Claiming some sort of virtue for publishing under the OGL when the publishers must publish under the OGL if they want to take advantage of the SRD doesn't seem like too much of a virtue to me.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
No, it would have been because they abandoned the OGL and its ecosystem, with all the benefits it provides WotC, and released a version of the game many people rejected.

If you are the center of the universe, then working on shrinking that universe does not benefit you.

The OGL / CC keeps WotC the central fulcrum, Paizo could have created something pretty close to PF without the OGL as well. The OGL benefits WotC at least as much as it benefited Paizo. Thanks to the OGL, WotC can pretend it has ownership of a lot of things it probably would find out it doesn’t, if this ever had to be decided in court. Thanks to the OGL, there is no need to settle this in court however
I don’t get it. None of this seems to address the points in my post.

mamba

Legend
But, because they are using the OGL, how much choice do they actually have in putting things into the OGL? Other than proper nouns, how much of, say, Kobold's monster books could actually avoid being OGL, simply by virtue of publishing under the OGL?
they can choose to release none of it under the OGL, like some other publishers do

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads