Too Young to Retire

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Merin says, "If they were there specifically for her, then this plan has long been in the making. They probably waited for the festival to occur before making their move. They knew that people would be less watchful during this time. But I wonder if they were looking for this particular girl, or whether they were there to find any young girl for whatever their purpose is...? That worries me. They will probably stop for the night as well, so we should use that to our advantage. I say we rest only 3 or 4 hours, then adapt our eyes to the darkness, and cross the river. I can affect my own eyes with practiced competence. I will try to do it for you as well. I believe it may be more difficult to do it to others aside from myself, so I will actually touch you, so as to increase the chance of success. What say you to this plan?"

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Effectiveness: Sociology + Tranquility + d100
Sociology: Mind + Commercial + Knowledge + Mercantile
Tranquility: Essence + Collegiate + Cohesion + post-Collegiate + pre-Enhancement + Adhesion
Merindell: 31 + 65 + 120 = 216
Sheldon: 41 + 42 + 85 = 168
Merin says, "If they were there specifically for her, then this plan has long been in the making..."
Sheldon shakes his head and begins speaking in Centrin. "That does not track. That town is so new it is still developing. Other townsfolk would suspect something if there were something special about Mary or Sally. All the townsfolk came from Boga City. Several of the workers are from Southroad Fair."

"They will probably stop for the night as well, so we should use that to our advantage..."
"No need to put ourselves out like that. These people have 3 days head start. We are not likely to catch them before they reach some destination unless they are walking for weeks, which seems unlikely."

"I can affect my own eyes with practiced competence. I will try to do it for you as well..."
"You should no by now, certain things can be done to others and certain things only to oneself. By the change in tracks, I am thinking that this group has slowed, but we could run all day and still not get close enough to see them. What we really need is some higher ground. If they keep following the river, we should get that change in elevation. I have no idea what kind of men we are after, but I am thinking opportunists. There are still some psychotic tribes that eat other people; but if that were the case, why leave the Bajinin?"

After some discussion, it is decided that forced marching or running would cause the two men to arrive in a weaken state, which could prove more than dis-favorable. Taking their rest, or trying to, the two men wake in the middle of the night to something that has only occurred once before during the night, a sense of danger. Having no fire, for one is not needed except for cooking, each man notices that the other is awake. It sounds as if something animalian is circling, afoot. Instinctively, night vision is improved and Merindell is the first to glimpse movement. It appears that some pack of jackals is closing in with malicious intent.

OOC: Each character receives 3 DP. Merindell improves in Centrin proficiency by 1%.

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Merin will suffocate the closest jackal, to make an example of him.

Reaction: 09 (Is that a fumble? Wow. First time I ever rolled that low.)
Suffocate: 79

MacConnell

Tranquility: Essence + Collegiate + Cohesion + post-Collegiate + pre-Enhancement + Adhesion
Merin will suffocate the closest jackal, to make an example of him.
While the pack of jackals is closing its circle thinking to trap some easy prey, Sheldon quietly comments. "Canines do not normally attack people unless they somehow get a taste for us. I will bet this is the same pack that tore into that Bajinin. They have probably been following us waiting for nightfall when they should have an advantage."
Readiness + Speed + Clarity + d100
Merindell: 26 + 41 + 73 + 09 = 149
Sheldon: 25 + 41 + 42 + 54 = 162
Jackals: 64 + 34 + 11 + 59 = 168
Hindrance - Reaction
Merindell: 200(bending) - 149 = 51
Sheldon: 100(bending) - 162 = ~0
Jackals: 200(movement) - 168 = 32
Sheldon: 81(bending) + 42(toxicity) + 74(d100) = 197
Merindell: 43(bending) + 51(suffocation) + 79(d100) = 173
J1: 64(conditioning) + 11(clarity) + 84(d100) = 159
damage: 197 - 159 = 38% * 10 = 4
Mind: 4 - 4 = 0, unconscious

J6: damage: 173 - 159 = 14% * 10 = 1
Body: 4 - 1 = 3, hurt
J1 & 2: 64(aggression) + 34(accuracy) + 11(fury) + 34(d100) = 163
J3 & 4: 193 + 100(2nd opponent) = 263
J5, 6, 7, & 8 = 293 + 100(multiple opponents) = 363
Merindell: 26(readiness) + 31(avoidance) + 33(analysis) + 79(d100) = 169
damage: 363 - 169 = 194% * 4 = 8 - 24(bracers) = 0, 8 - 30(greaves) = 0
Bracers: 20 - 8 = 12
Greaves: 20 - 8 = 12
damage: 263 - 169 = 94% * 4 = 4 - 30(greaves) = 0
Greaves: 12 - 4 = 8

Sheldon: 25(readiness) + 44(avoidance) + 40(analysis) + 74(d100) = 183
damage: 363 - 183 = 180% * 4 = 7 - 12(greaves) = 0
Greaves: 20 - 7 = 13
damage: 263 - 183 = 80% * 4 = 3 - 16(bracers) = 0
Bracers: 20 - 3 = 17
Before the jackals launch their assault, Sheldon is able to intoxicate one and cause it to lose consciousness; after which, the two men find themselves in quite a predicament. With the advantage of numbers, three jackals take hold of Merindell, while two take hold of Sheldon. So far the armor is holding against the teeth. Merindell is not able to suffocate one of the ones on his legs but does cause it some harm.

When not if the armor fails, the two men know they will be bloodied. On a positive note, each man knows that he can effect every animal that has hold of him instead of focusing on one at a distance.

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Reacting out of ANGER, Merin LEACHES the life out of the jackals who are biting him.

Merin seethes in Amiradthan, "I will NOT be eaten by mere animals! Instead, I will feed upon YOU!!"

Heat: 96 + (Luck: 100) = 196
Does the 100 give me another roll? If so: +17 = 213 Total.

Last edited:

MacConnell

Merindell:
Bracers: 20 - 8 = 12
Greaves: 20 - 8 = 12 - 4 = 8
Sheldon:
Greaves: 20 - 7 = 13
Bracers: 20 - 3 = 17
Hindrance - Reaction
Merindell: 51 + 100(bending) = 151
Sheldon: 0 + 100(bending) = 100
Jackals: 32 + 20(bite) = 52
Sheldon: 81(bending) + 42(toxicity) + 87(d100) = 210
Merindell: 43(bending) + 51(siphon) + 213(d100) = 307
J1: Mind: 4 - 4 = 0, unconscious
J3, 5, 7: 64(conditioning) + 11(clarity) + 55(d100) = 130
damage: 210 - 130 = 80% * 10 = 8
Mind: 4 - 8 = -4, unconscious

J6: 61(conditioning) + 11(fury) + 55(d100) = 130
damage: 307 - 130 = 177% * 10 = 18
Body: 4 - 1 = 3 - 18 = -15, dying

J2, 4, 8: Body: 4 - 18 = -14, dying
Jackals: 64(aggression) + 34(accuracy) + 11(fury) + 55(d100) = 164
+ 100(2nd opponent) + 100(multiple opponents) + 100(attached) = 464
Merindell: 26(readiness) + 31(avoidance) + 33(analysis) + 68(d100) = 158
damage: 464 - 158 = 306% * 4 = 12 - 24(bracers) = 0
left Bracers: 6 - 12 = -6
right Bracer: 6 - 12 = -6
damage: 12 - 30(greaves) = 0
left greave: 4 - 12 = -8
right Greave: 4 - 12 = -8

Sheldon: 25(readiness) + 44(avoidance) + 40(analysis) + 87(d100) = 196
damage: 464 - 196 = 268% * 4 = 11
Bracers: 17 - 11 = 6
left Greave: 6 - 11 = -5
right Greave: 7 - 11 = -4

... Merin LEACHES the life...
Heat: 96 + (Luck: 100 = 196
Does the 100 give me another roll? If so: +17 = 213 Total.
Sheldon thinks to himself, ~We need to collect some more items to augment our talent to bend waylines.~

In what could have turned horrible quickly, the two man only lose pieces of armor to the mouths of jackals before subduing the whole pack. Having no qualms about eliminating man eaters, Sheldon takes his carving knife and ends the four that he intoxicating, seeing that the four that attacked his friend are already dying.

"That could have been bad! Are you hurt?"
OOC: Each character receives 6 DP. If you will reference that Merindell says things in Amiradthan, it will help Sheldon learn the language.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Merin says, "They wounded my pride by catching me when I wasn't ready, and they wounded my coin purse by destroying some really good bracers and greaves; other than that, not a scratch. As my father used to say when I was a boy..."

Merin (in Amiradthan): "...vanity heals faster than flesh."

Merin laughs, as he begins to think about how to remedy the problem of the ruined armor pieces.

After a minute or two, Merin realizes he forgot something.

Merin says, "We should skin these Jackals, and butcher them, if they don't smell too gamey. We should also clean the bones and the skulls, declaw and defang them, and check these materials for proclivities. Let's get started; we could do all of that in less than 2 or 3 hours, if we start now."

Last edited:

MacConnell

Merindell:
Bracers: ruined (this needs to be removed from record)
Greaves: ruined (this needs to be removed from record)
Sheldon:
Bracers: 20 - 3 = 17 - 11 = 6
... After a minute or two, Merin realizes he forgot something...
Ecology + Clarity + d100
Merindell: 31 + 73 + 50 = 154 - 40 > 100
Sheldon: 60 + 54 + 50 = 164 - 40 > 100
Ecology + Analysis + d100 > 60 + 20 * 4
Merindell: 31 + 33 + 50 = 114, fail
Sheldon: 60 + 52 + 50 = 162, succeess
Time: 10 * 4 / 162 = 5 hours, 56 minutes
Sheldon tosses his greaves aside in disgust. "Those stinking beasts completely ruined my lacquered greaves. Those are going to be hard to replace. I can only image what kind of damage that pack could have done in some small village."

After very efficiently skinning the jackals, it is mutually decided to forgo any consumption of jackal meat. All of which is, instead, thrown in the river for the fish to consume. Merindell is unable to sense any particular proclivity concerning the animals, but Sheldon, who has the greater skill in Divination, can, but the specifics must be learned the following day during travel as each item requires just under 6 hours of analysis before it reveals its secret.

Sheldon explains, "The canine teeth or dew claws should offer any Bender an enhancement to strength. Their tails could help me but not you. If in possession of their heart, even after dried, and you were to augment your strength it would increase that effectiveness. For me, it would do the same thing if I augment my athletic skill."
OOC: Jackal Hides: 8: coverage 320%, hindrance 6/10%, deflect 10, soak 4
Jackal Canines: 8 pair: Strength +3
Jackal Dew Claws: 8 pair: Strength +3
Jackal Tails: 8: Strength +3 (Academic only)
Jackal Hearts: 8: +strength x 3, +athleticism x 3

The men rest peaceably the remainder of the night and cross the stream to continue after their unknown quarry. For another entire day, it appears that the men who took the girl are following the river. Evidence is discovered that snares are being put out to capture game.

"Hmm." Sheldon says. "This tells me that whomever we are following, they are not Benders."
OOC: Each character receives 4 DP. Sheldon improves in Amiradthan proficiency by 1%

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Merin says, "Let's quicken our pace then; if they are hunting without the use of bending, that will slow them down. We don't need to necessarily double our speed, but we should probably move up to a light jog."

Having said that, Merin does so.

While traveling along the stream, Merin will prospect for any useful items (especially lighter pine) and actively search for game.

MacConnell

630740D6-84EE-406F-9D47-4740AFEDCF04.jpeg
OOC: Each square represents one hour of travel.

Merindell:
Bracers: ruined (this needs to be removed from record)
Sheldon:
Bracers: 20 - 3 = 17 - 11 = 6
Animal:
Jackal Hides: 8: coverage 320%, hindrance 6/10%, deflect 10, soak 4
Jackal Canines: 8 pair: (Strength +3)
Jackal Dew Claws: 8 pair: (Strength +3)
Jackal Tails: 8: (Strength +3 (Academic only))
Jackal Hearts: 8: {+strength x 3, +athleticism x 3}
Merin says, "Let's quicken our pace..."
... Merin will prospect for any useful items (especially lighter pine) and actively search for game.
GM: NOTE:
Active search may not be performed while jogging or during a forced march. The characters are in the Western Prairie, no pine trees.

Sociology + Clarity or Tranquility + d100
Merindell: 31 + 52 + 50 = 133
Sheldon: 60 + 54 + 50 = 164
Ecology + Clarity or Tranquility + d100
Merindell: 31 + 52 + 50 = 133
Sheldon: 60 + 54 + 50 = 164

Sheldon shakes his head. "I do not think that will be necessary. With this periodic increase in elevation, I think we should quit trying to follow in their trail and anticipate their destination. We should be good enough just to travel in a straighter line."

From Bridgetown, the party followed the river for a few hours, along its western bank, then crossed. It now appears to be heading almost due east toward an outstretched finger of the mountains. The change in elevation provokes travel to be less linear and more back and forth.

The two men come upon a covey of turkeys, collecting two of them and carrying them along to prepare later. Also during travel, Merindell comes across a brick of coal, which he places in a sling to be easier to carry, and Sheldon finds a single Slickstone, which can be used to absorb heat. Merin comes across a particular herb that could aid in Soothing a Mind, but Sheldon finds a handful of unknown, curious, flowers. The area is not really suitable for the location of ores.

By evening there is still no sign of the quarry, so the men make a fire and prepare a meal. After full dark, Sheldon offers to let Merin stand on his shoulders to see if any other campfires can be seen in the area. Surprisingly enough, too far to bother trying to locate at night, the glow of a fire can be seen on the horizon farther toward the mountains, hopefully confirming the direction of travel.
OOC: Collections:
2 turkeys
Coal: 1 brick, {heat x2}
Slickstone: 1: {- heat x2}
Soothe Leaf: 1 measure: {+ Mind x2}
Flower: 1 measure: ?

Each character receives 4 DP.

Last edited:

Remove ads