RPGs TUW: Boga City

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Y 0: D 167: Doldrums 39: Capturing Cattle

Sannit strokes his beard as he answers, "If anyone asks, we'll tell them we were able to corner the cows with the bear's help. The bear is trained to help us catch other animals. It's not the strangest thing I've heard out in the Wilds."
Sheldon agrees.
"I like it. Our pack animals are well trained. They are obviously not afraid of Turtle, a good indication of the bear's training, and strangers have, thus far, been good with the fact that we have a friendly bear. I will circle around to get ahead. My talent is different than Bolo's but I should still be able to compel one of the animals to stop. Saemund and Merin should come with us, too."
In response to Indigo's plan, Sannit says,
Kwargrow said:
"It's minimal risk for a big reward. At worst we wasted our time, but being able to trade these beasts to handlers in Boga will give us connections and wealth to go along with the silk bolts we have. I will stay with the gear. Bolo will go with the rest of the group and secure one of the beasts. It shouldn't take more than one of us to stay here, and the rest of you can grab one each."
Indigo nods.
"I will need to follow behind the burros, just incase anything goes wrong. That eliminates me from the capture party, but I fell that it is a necessity. Tor and Vadin should go around and accompany Turtle, just incase a bull decides to become aggressive and charge rather than move with the herd."

Bolo pets Turtle and says,
Kwargrow said:
"He will help us."

Turtle nods his head, sensing that this is somewhat important to his people. He licks his lips. There's no way they won't give him one of those cattle.
GM: It takes only a few moments to unburden the pack animals and set the plan into motion. It takes near onto an hour, however to enact and carry through the plan. Fortunately, no actual predators encroach upon the herd during the process, neither does a bull become aggressive. No male happens to move within range of a Seeker lying in wait, but as four cows are compelled or befriended, the rest of the herd splits and goes into a run. With four cows in hand, the venture is still a success.

When everyone returns to gather Sannit and the supplies, the cows are tethered with the burros for better ease of travel until they can be further calmed each morning.

GM: One more day of travel brings the party to the river, which is a good place to rest and work with the cattle a bit.

OOC: Everyone feel free to make interjectory posts or task specific ideas during this interim.
 

Kwargrow

Explorer
San-Bolo make sure the cows are familiar with them, but not enough to get attached. Since deposits are sometimes close to rivers, Sannit will do a search for desirable ores and minerals and Bolo will search for plants and herbs close to the fresh water.

Turtle takes a long drink from the river and attempts some fishing.
 

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Saemund approaches one of the cows and will practice compelling the animal to do things. He wants to get an idea of how far compulsion will go. Mainly, how far out of character can he bend the will of the animal. He will attempt to compel the cow to:
walk in a circle
to stalk the other cows
attempt to catch fish from the river

Saemund will also approach Vadin and Merin and ask the same question: Will you allow me to attempt to compel you to do things you wouldn't normally do. I'm curious to see how far I can compel someone to do something outside of their character.

OOC: Saemund chooses Merin because he had the greatest resistance to his compulsion attempts earlier, and Vadin because he had the least resistance to his attempts

GM: Compel:
Range / Affect:
  • Cohesion + Evocation +
  • Persona + Psyche
Effectiveness:
  • Essence + Cohesion + Evocation +
  • Mind + Knowledge + Persona + Wisdom + Psyche +
  • Collegiate + Theologic
This active task causes the loss of Will in the intended target. If a target's Will is reduced below 1, further loss is deducted from Mind. If the target's Mind is reduced below 1, it may be commanded to perform any possible non-combat task, though commands may be severely limited in the case of a language barrier or if the target is an animal. There is considerable possibility with the application of the results of this task as pertaining to role play.

GM: This has previously been tasked. The results will not change until more experience is awarded. The cattle can be led to drown themselves, if so desired.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tor will help condition the cattle, concentrating on making them obedient when told to move or to stop, and making them calm and docile.

Merin will help Saemund practice his compulsion. "Just don't make me do anything that would be embarrassing," Merin adds, with a chuckle.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Y 0: D 168: Doldrums 40: The River

San-Bolo make sure the cows are familiar with them, but not enough to get attached. Since deposits are sometimes close to rivers, Sannit will do a search for desirable ores and minerals and Bolo will search for plants and herbs close to the fresh water.

Turtle takes a long drink from the river and attempts some fishing.
GM: Though every member of the party has crossed this river several times in the past, it has always been while traveling with a caravan, and no one has every given it much attention. Unlike Southroad Fair, the river, here, does not need to be forded. There is a double arched, stone bridge spanning its width. The bridge is extremely hold, possibly even constructed when the Yahdram yet walked the land. It is manufactured of cut stones that were, obviously, carried here from somewhere else. These stones are well fitted and mortared with a substance like that from with the bricks of Asylim are fired. Despite the passing of seasons and years, the bridge seems timeless.

The river is three times as wide as the one in Southroad Fair and at least twice as deep. The bottom and banks are mostly sandy or covered in course gravel. The rocks are much fewer here in grassland than in the piney woods.

GM: While Indigo works with Bolo and the cattle, Sheldon spends a couple of hours with Sannit walking the riverbank upstream, searching for usable minerals.
OOC: Mining:
  • Sense / Perceive Mineral (Collegiate Task) +
  • Mind + Knowledge + Wisdom +
  • Commercial + Mercantile
This active task is applied to the search for usable metal or stone.

Perceive Mineral:
Range:
  • Cohesion + Evocation +
  • Will + Discipline +
  • Divination
Effectiveness:
  • Essence + Cohesion + Evocation +
  • Collegiate + Divination
This active task is used to determine if metal ore or crystalline stone exists within the effective range by sensing the item's particular proclivity of Way. The range also considers depth which may be unreachable. This perception may be augmented by the possession of the type of material desired. For example, a character who cannot naturally sense gold may search for it by holding a piece in hand. The types of material naturally sensed depends on the skill level of the Diviner. This may be applied as a passive technique to augment the Commercial task of Mining.

Sannit: 27(sense) + 33(mining) = 60%
Sheldon: 33(perceive) + 35(mining) = 68%

The two are able to locate only a single ingot each of tin, zinc, and iron. They also find 1 bloodstone, 1 white stone, 1 yellow stone, and 1 orange stone.

GM:
OOC:
Forage:
  • Sense Plant (Collegiate Task)
  • Mind + Knowledge + Wisdom +
  • Commercial + Mercantile
This active task is used to locate usable plants within the area, whether medicinal or edible.
Sense Plant:
Range:
  • Adhesion + Will
Effectiveness:
  • Essence + Adhesion +
  • Collegiate
This active Basic task is used to determine if an edible or medicinal plant exists within the effective range. Due to the inherent ability of the plant to augment healing or provide nourishment, a sample need not be possessed nor previously encountered in order to locate one in this manner. The complexity of the plant detectable depends upon the skill of the Diviner. A sample of a desired herb or food can be used to augment this ability to locate plants beyond the normal complexity. This is, also, applied as a passive Basic technique to the Commercial task of Forage.

Bolo: 28(sense) + 34(forage) = 62%
Indigo: 27(sense) + 35(forage) = 62%

The two are able to locate 1 measure of Soothe Leaf, 1 measure of Mend Leaf, 1 measure of Leaves of Restoration, and 1 measure of leaves of Harmony.

GM: Turtle delights in swimming in the river and catches several fish.
 
Last edited:

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Saemund walks over to Tor and whispers so that Merin cannot hear...I'm going to give Merin two coins, and attempt to compel him to lie to you and tell you that I gave him four coins. How would you feel if I gave Merin a stick and tried to attempted to compel him to hit you with it?

Saemund gives Merin two coins, then compels him to lie to Tor in the manner mentioned above.
Saemund will also attempt to control Merin's use of way while he is under compulsion. Not by telling Merin to do something but directly controlling his ability.
 
Last edited:

redraider629

Explorer
Each morning Vadin practices combat, especially practicing close range combat with knives. He also practices with his sword. He will also help tend the cattle, trying to show the cattle that he is not a threat.

Vadin asks Sheldon and Sannit a question, "can searching for minerals be taught?"
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Kwargrow

Explorer
Being a close knit group, Sannit sees what Saemund is attempting to do and says to him, "Bolo and I try similar exercises to increase our resistance to such attempts, but you might want to start with something simpler. What we do is sit across from each other and pass a small stone back and forth. One of us uses Way to attempt to compel the other to give us the stone, and the target resists as long as they can. Then we switch roles."

Vadin asks Sheldon and Sannit a question, "can searching for minerals be taught?"
Sannit replies, "Of course. You are welcome to aid in our attempts, because like anything else, the more you do something the better you are at it." He gives as detailed a description as he can to Vadin about the sensation of sensing the materials.

Bolo takes time to splash and play with Turtle, but does not go where the water reaches over her head.

Turtle sniffs around the bridge, thinking maybe some of the people left something good to find.
 

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Saemund looks at Sannit...perhaps another time, he stops trying to compel Merin...Thank you Merin Saemund then walks a few paces from the group and begins practicing the axe forms he has created to make himself a more efficient fighter.
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Merin and Tor both take the opportunity to train with Saemund; it is very useful for skill development to train one style against another, because doing so reveals the strengths and weaknesses of each style. Merin begins by using empty-hand vs. Saemund's axe, and then switches out, to let Saemund go up against Tor’s sword-and-shield style.
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Y 0: D 190: Doldrums 40: The River, part 2

OOC: GM NOTE:
I altered the Day to reflect the day of the year instead of the number of days the party has been on their own.

Saemund looks at Sannit...perhaps another time, he stops trying to compel Merin...Thank you Merin Saemund then walks a few paces from the group and begins practicing the axe forms he has created to make himself a more efficient fighter.
Sheldon sees Saemund walk away from the group a bit and can tell that he is frustrated over something. He watches the big man work with his axe until he begins to show signs of fatigue before approaching him to speak.
"I have watched you working with the others to harness your skill with the Compulsion task, and I have observed that you are successful from time to time, yet you are still frustrated; therefor, it must be in the application of that compulsion rather than its success that is bothering you.

This is perhaps a good thing, for with this kind of power comes the temptation to abuse it. My skill with this task is not much greater than yours, but I, also, have more time to its exposure. Perhaps I can lend some clarity to its application.

When you are able to take control of another person's mind, whether they were an idiot or a genius, they might as well have both been idiots when it comes to what they can be made to do. They can be commanded to do anything that a simpleton could do:

Pick up that rock.
Follow me.
Go over there.
Lay face down in the river.

That last is particularly mean, since the person will, of course, drown. We could not, however, tell a gate guard at Asylim to go stab Saucy Drip. That is too complicated for a simpleton, and even if Saucy were standing directly in front of the compelled person, their ability to use a sword would be as effective as a toddler's.

This is not the real power though. When successful, you have control of another's mind. Here is where the potential for true cruelty lies and where we must be careful how far we are willing to push it. Like you were able to do with that Medderin we encountered, you can make a person face their greatest fear without having to know anything about it. To me this is a win, win. The person runs away in sheer terror until they pass out from exhaustion. We are no longer in danger and we did not have to kill anyone.

In a more cruel manner, you could convince a person that they are falling to their death, even though they are not moving. They will lay on the ground, flailing their arms, and screaming until they pass out from fear. Or even more cruelly, you could convince them that they are boiling in oil or being roasted alive. There is a limit. Once their imagined pain reaches a certain level, their mind will shut down rendering them unconscious.

I hope this has helped, some. Come back and join us for supper when you are ready
."

As Sheldon turns to walk back toward the rest of the group, he pauses suddenly having an idea.
"I just realized something with that coin trick that you did. You may have hit upon a way for us to get into Asylim. Instead of taking full control of another person's mind, we could use this same task to push a suggestion upon them.

We could walk to the guard at the gate, show him our bare arm, and say, 'I am a Regular Soldier.' If we are successful, he sees the mark even though it is not there and passes us through the gate
."
 
Last edited:

Kwargrow

Explorer
We could walk to the guard at the gate, show him our bare arm, and say, 'I am a Regular Soldier.' If we are successful, he sees the mark even though it is not there and passes us through the gate."
Sannit strokes his beard and says, "So with the right skill we can make people see things, but the closer to something plausible, the easier it is to pull off. When we travel through the Asylim gate would it help to have a replica on our arms anyway? Something painted on? Depending on how many people we can affect, someone else might notice if we show the guard a bare arm."
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
On The Possibilities Of Suggestion...

Merin nods, and says to Sannit, "Agreed. It wouldn't even need to be an exact replica, as long as it's similar. The suggestion will be sufficient to convince the guard of its authenticity. And any bystanders would only see the tattoo from a distance. That is an excellent idea, my friend."

Turning to Sheldon, Merin continues: "You are probably the most talented among us, in that area of manipulation. Saemund is also showing an interest. The two of you should start practicing this, so that by the time we get to Asylim, we'll be ready. My only concern is that the guards are well-trained, and strong-willed. I doubt a novice would be able to pull off something of that nature."

Tor adds, "We should also investigate the use of such techniques with regard to interrogation. Torture and force are crude, and unreliable. Besides being inhumane and cruel, it is also a fact that a person in pain will say anything to make the pain stop. You cannot trust information gained in such a fashion. But using Way to suggest to someone that we're their best friends, or to suggest that telling us what we want to know would help someone they care about, we stand a good chance of getting honest information from the person in question; a person who believes that talking is beneficial, who is trying to help or do good for someone, is an ideal source of information. Once we get to Asylim, I have the feeling that we will be needing to gather a great deal of information, and probably most of that information will be held by otherwise hostile sources. Our mastery of Way will play a huge role in the possibility of our success."
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Y 0: D 190: Doldrums 40: The River, part 3

Vadin asks Sheldon and Sannit a question,
"Can searching for minerals be taught?"
GM: Sheldon and Sannit work with Vadin when they go in search of usable minerals.

Sheldon tries to explain.
"Sensing Way is much easier than trying to manipulate. While you are able to manipulate Way at this time, like we all were in the beginning, you must touch whatever it is you are wanting to affect.

You will find that you can sense certain things from several steps away. This is not a great distance, yet, but I have found that the distance increases significantly as my skill has improved
."

OOC: GM NOTE:
With less than 10 ranks in the Collegiate skill, active tasks have a range limited to touch. Sensitivities have a range measured in strides. A stride is ~3'. After acquiring 10 ranks in the Collegiate skill, the effective range is increased to a a distance measured in strides. After acquiring at least 1 rank in the Divination skill, sensitivities become perceptions which have a range measured in paces. The variety of materials that can be recognized also increases.

GM: With a little practice, it is learned that all Seekers, except Sheldon, can sense tin and zinc, unaided, but to sense any other metal, a sample must be held in hand. Sheldon, who has been practicing Divination, can also sense iron, aluminum, and carbone (coal), unaided. His range is also 10 times greater.
 
Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Y 0: D 190: Doldrums 40: Discussing Possibilities

OOC: GM NOTE:
For clarification of vocabulary related to the game, the term tattoo does not exist. The common terms are branded, marked, and painted. The brands on the Asylin citizenry are produced from several different berries that near-permanently dye the skin. The process is not invasive.

The term painted refers to indigenous peoples that decorate large portions of their skin, especially their faces. This is most common in Evipau and Norikadians.

The term marked refers to simple designs applied to one's own body as a show of expression.

The term branded refers to simple marks applied to another's body, sometimes without the receiver's consent. Asylim, Eastaboga, and Thisidaboga all use this to mark criminals. Only Asylim also uses it to make economic class distinctions. (Think India, but the mark is on the arm not the forehead.)

Sannit strokes his beard and says,
"So with the right skill we can make people see things, but the closer to something plausible, the easier it is to pull off. When we travel through the Asylim gate would it help to have a replica on our arms anyway? Something painted on? Depending on how many people we can affect, someone else might notice if we show the guard a bare arm."
Merin nods, and says to Sannit,
"Agreed. It wouldn't even need to be an exact replica, as long as it's similar... That is an excellent idea, my friend."
Sheldon runs his left hand through his hair pulling it back from his face.
"Good point. Since we are currently heading in the opposite direction, we should have time to plan this out. We should try to get a look at a regular soldier's or someone else's we want to imitate."

Turning to Sheldon, Merin continues:
Tellerian Hawke said:
"... My only concern is that the guards are well-trained, and strong-willed. I doubt a novice would be able to pull off something of that nature."
Sheldon shrugs his shoulders and bobbles his head.
"I may have started this direction in the beginning, but since Saemund and even Sannit are developing the Theological mechanism for manipulating Way, I have begun to try to increase my sensitivity to it. It should not be long before Saemund and Sannit can surpass my current skill.

As far as guards go, gate duty is the worst. It is where the incompetent and lazy are stationed. I don't foresee any real difficulty in fooling one
."

Tor adds,
Tellerian Hawke said:
"We should also investigate the use of such techniques with regard to interrogation... using Way to suggest to someone that we're their best friends, or to suggest that telling us what we want to know would help someone they care about, we stand a good chance of getting honest information from the person in question..."
Sheldon, again, runs his left hand through his hair pulling it back from his face.
"That me be a little overly hopeful. This talent we have for compulsion take another mental faculties away from them. The victim may no longer be able to provide anything since they are effectively a simpleton.

Again, we still have some time for this. I am currently thinking that we may have a better chance of gathering accurate information from the lowest members of that society, from the workers
."
 
Last edited:

Kwargrow

Explorer
Sannit says, "Since we are going to a larger city where it will be easier to blend in, we should look for opportunities to utilize and practice these new skills. I am sure it will come in handy to be able to manipulate someone in Boga City."
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Y 0: D 191 - 197: Doldrums 41 - 47: Reaching the Destination

OOC: Some history the characters would know:
The legend goes that Boga City is being reconstructed upon the site of a former Yahdram city. Allegedly there was once only one race of being, called the Yahdram. In a war with the gods, the Yahdram was fractured into three new races, the Aedaman, Faethrin, and Mhytre, each retaining one exemplary physical trait instead of all three. The Aedaman have exceptional health, the Faethrin exceptional grace, and the Mhytre exceptional strength.

There are now 27 defined tribes of peoples, 9 for each race. One tribe of each of the races has retained the natural ability to manipulate way, the Kinamin of the Aedaman, the Da'Roneh of the Faethrin, and the Deviard of the Mhytre. These clans are all malevolent and use their gift to constantly cause conflict; therefor by association, those who could perform such paranormal tasks became termed as Blighters. Though ~50% of the general populace can sense the manipulation of Way, only ~10% can perform such. It has become a well-guarded secret because of the three malevolent tribes.

GM: Traveling forward across the well-made bridge the following morning, the Seekers find themselves undisturbed from the remainder of the trip. Beginning almost a day before reaching the city itself, the countryside becomes populated with farms. Large expanses of the grassland has been partitioned to grow specific crops like grapes and beans. There are also domesticated herds of sheep tended by ranchers with dogs.

People close enough to see the faces of the travelers, wave and greet them in a friendly manner. About 3 hours before reaching the city, its walls can be seen and the sounds of construction heard. A great amount of work is being done around the walled city. The wall is being repaired in various places and a large, extensive pit is being dug around the city.

The pit is being lined with stones up its walls and in the bottom what appears to be liquid rock is being poured from buckets. The workers appear to be conducting such tasks of their own volition for there are no task masters lording over them.

As the party nears an entry-point, they are greeted by a city clerk. The clerk has paper pinned to a small board he is holding and begins scribing things upon it with a carbon stile as he approaches.

"Greetings Travelers. You seem a mixed group. Do you speak Centrin or would you prefer Asylin?"
GM: Since Asylin is the more comfortable language for the Seekers, the clerk continues in that.

"I will need some information from you, if you are here to conduct trade. If you are here for work or here for the upcoming games, I can provide you with some information."
 

Kwargrow

Explorer
Sannit steps up and addresses the clerk. "We are here for trade. We have brought bolts of silk from Southroad Fair, and we captured some wild cows along the journey. Are there established places to trade these items? We would also like to know what work there might be for new-comers, and I would like to know more about the games."

Bolo looks around to determine if there are any people in the area paying close attention to their group.

Turtle takes a whiff of the city and then snorts it back out. It's like the town but worse.
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Y 0: D 197: Doldrums 47: The Southern Gate

Sannit steps up and addresses the clerk.
"We are here for trade. We have brought bolts of silk from Southroad Fair, and we captured some wild cows along the journey. Are there established places to trade these items? We would also like to know what work there might be for new-comers, and I would like to know more about the games."
GM: While Sannit is speaking, he and everyone else notices that the roadway has a large cleared area. In addition to the active workers, the glass caravan from Asylim is waiting here to be loaded with tobacco before returning south, as well as the sugar caravan which as long since unloaded and is waiting to depart with honey. The other caravaners seem to be enjoying their down time, here.

The clerk responds distinctly, while continuing to scribe marks upon the page.
"Trade. Excellent, and you have answered my second question. You are here representing Southroad Fair. We are hearing good things about that developing community. You say you have silk and cattle. Wow, those are some fine kine you have collected. Oh! and you have a friendly bear. Interesting!

As for work, I am supposed to ask, but I am only referring to the manual labor you see going on with the repair work and construction of the canal, which we hope will significantly help with relocating merchandise from trade. Just by the look of the exceptional armor you all are wearing, I cannot see you giving up your current trade to become a laborer. As explorers though, if you are not directly beholden to Southroad Fair, the Chiropteran Collectors often run into hostiles and would likely have something more to your liking.

Chiropteran Collectors is their fancy name for themselves. They bring in the bat guano that is used to fuel the lamps. There is a crew that departs from the East Gate, and one that departs from the North Gate.

Trade is conducted here in what we call the Porch Area, as you can see by the two other caravans. The vendors will come to you to negotiate. I will send for a weaver and a butcher. Just let me know if you have anything else, too. The butcher will negotiate a price for the whole cow and then trade to the tanner on his end for the hide. I will be the clerk and record all information for all transaction that involve you. I will also provide you a copy of these proceedings, if you so desire
..."

Sheldon interrupts the Centrin man.
"Are you recording this in Centrin or Ansylin? While we speak Centrin, we are only literate in Ansylin."

The man slaps in own forehead in mock gesture.
"I am so sorry. I have become too accustomed to the others not caring about what I write. Yes. I can write this in Ansylin."

He takes the parchment upon which he had begun writing and removes it from the board before beginning afresh on a new sheet.
"The reason we record this is because there is, of course, a fee for the transaction. The fee is not negotiable, but it is only 2% of the accepted price, which the traders have found to be more fair than a flat rate, since it allows smaller trade groups, like yourselves, to remain independent.

If you all want to enter the city, you will need to stable your pack animals. I think the bear will be okay, but I will need to inquire about that. There are two liveries here, one on each side, but you can also walk back and talk to one of the sheep herders. Since your pack animals are not tethered, I can see that they are well training. If you are okay with allowing their use, a farmer would corral and feed them for a much lower rate.

Shall I get a vendor and check on the bear for you
?"

Bolo looks around to determine if there are any people in the area paying close attention to their group.
GM: Others do scrutinize the party and their fare, but no one seems to give an undue amount of attention. Many people are fascinated with the speckled cattle. Some of the other caravaners who recognize that they have seen one or more of the Seekers before greet the group and speak a few words, but Bolo senses nothing untoward at this time.

Party Inventory
OOC: I have finished uploading the Adept Tasks to the Community Page.
 
Last edited:

Advertisement

Top