• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.
  • The RSS feed for the news page has changed. Use this link. The old one displays the forums, not the news.

RPGs TUW: The Steel Trade [IC]

redraider629

Villager
Vadin, with memories of his recent fallen friends, agrees with the others. He turns and walks out quickly, trying not to disturb the dead. As he is leaving he says to the remains "rest easy"

As Vadin is leaving he thinks back to his conversation with Saemund, regarding his ability with the way. He thinks that detection would be a good skill to have, but knows there are others that would be helpful. He also notices that each member has items made of various materials. He notices how they affect each of them. He knows there is something to that, as he himself has experienced the effects of items, and the way. He thinks that he would like to begin using an item, but is not sure of which. He says to the party "friends I noticed you have these items which changes your abilities, what does each of the materials affect?" He then stops, and continues "I was hoping you could give me some ideas on which manner I should pursue in manipulating the way. Saemund gave me some good thoughts, but I would love to hear more."
 
Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Making Assessments

Sannit looks over the contents of the tomb without disturbing them. "I don't think we should take anything. If the Myhtres find out we were here they would obviously take offense at any desecration." He looks for symbols or marks, copying them down if he sees them. Sannit will also use Way to attempt to detect any hidden place or secret door.
GM:
OOC: Observation:
  • Empathy (Collegiate Task) / Konokoro (Collegiate Task) +
  • Mind + Knowledge + Wisdom + Acuity +
  • Commercial + Mercantile
Effectiveness: 47 + 33 = 80
Time: 1 day * complexity / (Effectiveness + d100) = 1 / (80 + 99 + 98) = 5 minutes

After 5 minutes of careful observation, Sannit is certain that the chamber contains nothing secret or hidden.

Kwargrow said:
After seeing the others jump across the stream Bolo says to Indigo, "Let us climb up anyway. Why should the boys have all the fun?" She climbs the cliff-face to see what is up there.
Indigo replies,
"Go ahead. At this point, I will wait here with the animals. If there is something to see, we will need to find a way around for them."

GM:
OOC: Climb:
  • Fury (Collegiate Task) +
  • Body + Motility + Strength + Might + Flexibility +
  • Commercial + Athletic
Effectiveness: 57 + 35 = 92
Time: 1 hour * (distance in paces) * difficulty / (effectiveness + d100) = 5 / (92 + 93 + 86) = 1

Bolo is able to find excellent foot and hand holds, allowing her to climb the cliff facing in just over 1 minute. When she reaches the top, she stands in awe momentarily, the speaks back down to Indigo.
"You definitely need to find a way up here and see this for yourself."

Kwargrow said:
Turtle paws at the stream, attempting to get lucky and wriggle a nice fish out of the water.
GM: Turtle has never before seen such fast moving water. It fascinates him for a bit even though he can see no fish.
 
Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Making Assessments, Part 2

Tor nods his head in agreement. "The dead deserve their rest. I will not dishonor them, nor their family's memories of them, by even touching a single thing. In fact, seeing as how we blundered in here unknowingly, I think we should leave as soon as possible. Our mere presence here, in this hallowed ground, might be offensive, since we are not Mhytres."

Merin nods as well, the seriousness returning to his demeanor, "Agreed. Let's make haste, and leave NOW."


Having said their peace, both Merin and Tor walk back outside.
Sheldon, who is further inside, looks back at Tor.
"We will be right behind you. I have no intentions of disturbing these bones. It may be important to note, though, that this burial chamber appears very old and long dormant of use. It seems to me, it might have even been abandoned. I wonder why."

GM: Tor and Merin join Saemund outside, seeing Bolo quickly scale the cliff on the original side of the stream.
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Sheldon said:
Sheldon, who is further inside, looks back at Tor. "We will be right behind you. I have no intentions of disturbing these bones. It may be important to note, though, that this burial chamber appears very old and long dormant of use. It seems to me, it might have even been abandoned. I wonder why."
Merin nods, saying, as he is walking out, "I will make note of the location of this tomb on our map. I will also make a drawing of the waterfall, and of the tomb entrance, as best I can, paying attention to any symbols and markings. Perhaps we could diplomatically ask the Mhytres about this place, once we have found their settlement. If there is a reason that they avoid this place, then it might be in our best interests to discover that reason; as it was with the tree, if there is some malevolent presence nearby, dealing with that presence might go a long way towards developing a good relationship with the Mhytres."
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Vadin Engages the Seekers

Vadin, with memories of his recent fallen friends, agrees with the others. He turns and walks out quickly, trying not to disturb the dead. As he is leaving he says to the remains "rest easy"

As Vadin is leaving he thinks back to his conversation with Saemund, regarding his ability with the way. He thinks that detection would be a good skill to have, but knows there are others that would be helpful. He also notices that each member has items made of various materials. He notices how they affect each of them. He knows there is something to that, as he himself has experienced the effects of items, and the way. He thinks that he would like to begin using an item, but is not sure of which. He says to the party "friends I noticed you have these items which changes you abilities, what does each of the materials affect?" He then stops, and continues "I was hoping you could give me some ideas on which manner I should pursue in manipulating the way. Saemund gave me some good thoughts, but I would love to hear more."
GM: Vadin ponders his thoughts while standing outside with Saemund, Tor, and Merin. The light fades in the mausoleum as Sheldon and Sannit exit.

Sheldon responds to Vadin's shared thoughts.
"Explaining augmentation is fairly simple. The other is not. The items we gave you to keep are each tuned to a specific innate part of your composition. Since you have yet to develop a particular proclivity, the stones or ingots both help you equally well. You only need to keep them on your person to receive the benefits. Show me the items."

When Vadin produces the items, Sheldon continues.
"The bloodstone, that grey and red speckled rock, augments your health, the aluminum ingot your motility, and the chromium ingot your strength. The yellow stone augments your own personal identity or how others perceive you. The magnesium ingot augments your willpower.

The other 3 are harder to explain. The black stone protects your life essence, whatever it is that gives us life. The orange stone protects the flow of blood and wards against charms and things that could affect your mind. The burgundy stone protects you from physical harm from the elements.

As to the deliberate manipulation of way, we should take up this conversation again. Everyone of us should discuss it to better help you decide what it is you might want to do and how to go about it. We are becoming diverse enough in our own abilities, I sure we can all help you with this
."

GM: At that point, Bolo calls out from above motioning for everyone to come up.

 
Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Day 111: An Abandoned Mining Community

Indigo gathers the pack animals and wanders northward to locate a way for all of the to ascend. Everyone on the far side of the stream, simply takes the carved stairway.

GM: On an artificially flattened plateau, stands the long abandoned structures of what appears to have been a mining community.

Most things are made from carved stone. There are some small housing structures on both sides of the stream. There is a, still usable, bridge over the stream.

On the south side of the stream there is supported opening carved into the rising cliffs, facing west, toward the direction of the standing men.

There are old paths leading northward and south and a descending path northwest, up which Indigo, Myth, Turtle, and the pack animals arrive.
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tor, looking a bit star-struck and/or awed, says, "This looks to be the settlement to which the tomb belongs. It too, looks abandoned. I wonder why? While it's possible that the ore could have been depleted, it doesn't make sense to abandon permanent structures, when they could easily be re-purposed. And if the settlement needed to be abandoned for a practical reason, it seems like they would have either taken the time to seal the mausoleum, or to remove the remains and repatriate them to another burial site. Something is amiss here. We should investigate."

Merin, who wears a look of concern on his face, agrees with Tor: "Indeed, but I must admit, anything that could cause Mhytres to abandon a settlement like this in haste, leaving behind a sacred site, gives me pause. We should be extremely cautious and watchful. Do not let your guards down, my friends."
 

Kwargrow

Villager
As they make their way up the stairs Sannit replies to Vadin's comments, "My mate, Bolo, is drawn to nature and the things that thrive without the help of people. Hence her path with Way augments her abilities with things like feathers and other items taken from animals. I am partial to industry and the things that thrive with the help of humanity, therefore I am aided by metals and other things that are shaped by will. As we move on our path it helps us shape our path. Finding your path with Way is not really a choice so much as it is a realization of who you are and where you are going in your life. I hope that helps."

Up on the plateau Sannit looks over the abandoned buildings and says, "I don't think we need fear anything if we stay together. I suggest we search through the buildings on top first before we investigate the cave, probably the remains of the mine. I don't see any markings or decorations anywhere, including in the tomb. I don't think anything about this place was considered 'sacred' unless we find a temple. More likely they stored the bones in the mausoleum for practical matters."

Bolo calls Turtle to her side and moves toward the bridge to be reunited with the other Seekers.
 
Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Day 111: Assessing the Camp

Tor, looking a bit star-struck and/or awed, says, "This looks to be the settlement to which the tomb belongs. It too, looks abandoned. I wonder why? While it's possible that the ore could have been depleted, it doesn't make sense to abandon permanent structures, when they could easily be re-purposed. And if the settlement needed to be abandoned for a practical reason, it seems like they would have either taken the time to seal the mausoleum, or to remove the remains and repatriate them to another burial site. Something is amiss here. We should investigate."
GM: Contrary to Tor's initial supposition, quick observation causes him to change his mind. The encampment is too thoroughly emptied to have been abandoned in haste. It looks as if its original inhabitants moved away a long time past. As to what might have caused them to depart such a seemingly optimal location is still a mystery.
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Merin is thoughtful for a few moments, before speaking: "The inhabitants didn't leave in haste? Interesting. If that is so, then there probably wasn't an immediate danger, but rather, some other unstable element that would have been dangerous, or perhaps merely dis-advantageous over a long period of time. In any event, I'd be willing to bet that the answers we seek are inside the mine. What say the rest of you? Sheldon? Indigo? Sannit?"
 
Last edited:

Kwargrow

Villager
Sannit replies, "I would like to search the ground level buildings first before we explore the mine."

Bolo with Turtle at her side rejoins the group.

Turtle looks around at the strange place and takes a good sniff. Are these people homes? He has never seen them made out of rock before.
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Day 111: The Mining Houses

Everyone on the south side of the stream moves across the bridge to where Bolo and Indigo await with the animals. There are more dwellings on that side. The houses are all cleaned of the original inhabitants' belongings, other than a few trivial items that seem abandoned as well rather than forgotten. Small animals have taken residence and quickly flee at the approach of people. Everything indicates a complete move, perhaps several years past.

Since evening is approaching and the party is somewhat tired from a day's travel, it is decided to make camp in one of the structures and investigate the mine tomorrow when fully rested.

GM: The night air is significantly cooler. The party has never ventured this high into the mountains, but it seems peaceable.

During the middle of the night, a strange sound wakes everyone. Some falling rock or other such was instinctively expected, but the ground vibrated slightly and then it sounded as if the mountain itself took in a breath and sighed.

The sound was not repeated and after some investigation, the members, sensing no danger, return to their sleep. Just before dawn, the exact thing happens again. Being close to the usual rising time, everyone is now wide awake. The pack animals seem unperturbed but Turtle and Myth are inquisitive of the strange sound as well.

Myth having the best hearing, bumps Indigo and nods across the stream toward the mine.

Indigo scratches Myth behind his ears, then takes in a deep breath, stretching.
"Myth is indicating that the sound did indeed come from that mine opening."
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tor nods, saying, "That's how it sounded to me, also. I think Merin is correct, we need to check out the mine."

Merin is quick to add, "Perhaps only one or two of us should investigate; I don't like the idea of all of us somehow becoming trapped down there. I think the lightest and fastest of us should check it out. I volunteer to be one of the two. Sheldon, are you up to being the second?"
 

redraider629

Villager
Vadin responds to Merin "I agree, there is no need for all of us to go down and get trapped." Vadin will stand watch by the mine entrance while two of the faster members investigate
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Day 112: The Mouth of the Mine

Merin is quick to add,
"Perhaps only one or two of us should investigate; I don't like the idea of all of us somehow becoming trapped down there. I think the lightest and fastest of us should check it out. I volunteer to be one of the two. Sheldon, are you up to being the second?"
GM: Standing at the mouth of the mine in the pre-dawn light, it is obvious that Tor and Saemund would have to walk stooped over even to enter that worked opening. It leads to reason that this would become worse for the two. Even Vadin feels a bit tall. Of the rest of the party, Merin being the tallest at 6'2", there appears to be no issue.

Sheldon offers -
"I could light it up, and we could make a quick trip in. What do the rest of you think?"

OOC: GM NOTE:
Just so everyone will know, Vadin is the fastest character. His cumulative Motility is 14, which is 1 point higher than Indigo.
 
Last edited:

Kwargrow

Villager
Sannit asks the group, "We're willing to go in if the rest of you are, but should we use Way to sense for metals and minerals to determine what kind of mine this is?"

While the other Seekers debate Bolo studies the architecture of the buildings, attempting to determine how they were put together for possible future use.

As a noticeable change Turtle stays by Sannit's side, ready to investigate the mine. He couldn't call himself a bear if he was scared of a little hole in the ground.
 
Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Day 112: Investigating the Mine

While the other Seekers debate Bolo studies the architecture of the buildings, attempting to determine how they were put together for possible future use.
GM: The construction is simple. Natural stones were roughly squared and stacked. Each individual piece is heavy enough to stay in place so that mortar, which would be difficult to manufacture with the given soil, was not used. The wooden beams are fitted into slots. Part of each structure is carved into the rock face. The part that is not is roofed with a sort of thatch. The thatch is mostly useless after such length of unattended time.

Sannit asks the group, "We're willing to go in if the rest of you are, but should we use Way to sense for metals and minerals to determine what kind of mine this is?"

As a noticeable change Turtle stays by Sannit's side, ready to investigate the mine. He couldn't call himself a bear if he was scared of a little hole in the ground.
GM: The mine, at this point, is wide enough to walk 2 abreast.

Once inside the mine, Sheldon creates an area of light around himself.
"I will stand in the middle of the group. I will need to concentrate to move the illumination with use. I will let you know when I am tiring. The others of you will need to divine for metal or stone."

GM: Sensing for metals produces trivial results for iron. Anything usable has been mined. Some of the offshoots indicate chromium, molybdenum, and titanium, but everything is faint.

GM: The mine is enormous. There are offshoots and branches in all directions, most of which are crawl spaces. The main path is obvious. It is decided, for the time being at least while others wait outside, that the smaller paths be ignored.

About 50 paces into the mountain, the group comes upon a long dead corpse. It is practically mummified. It is face down with its head pointed toward the mouth. Its clothing has mostly deteriorated away, a miners pick is still grasped in its extended right hand, a kind of torch in its left. All indications are that this person fell forward and died of no apparent injury. The miner's pick is perfectly functional and appears to be of quality manufacture.

Searching the immediate area more thoroughly, undisturbed tracks indicate that this male Mhytre was struggling to walk for some distance before collapsing.

Traveling farther in the main path descends markedly. It can be seen up ahead that there is a carved bore taking the mine directly down deeper. Before the party can continue, Turtle pushes to the front, runs ahead a few step then turns to face the group, growling.

Turtle rubs his nose a few times, staggers, then falls over playing dead. He repeats the entire process. It seems fairly obvious what he is doing. Bolo clarifies that Turtle's sense of smell is much greater than their own. Whatever he is smelling it will prove fatal and he does not wish us to continue forward.
 
Last edited:

Kwargrow

Villager
Sannit nods and says, "Turtle's nose is enough to convince me. I think we have our answer as to why this place was abandoned, and since we detected nothing worth digging for I'm ready to leave." On their way out of the mine San-Bolo will stop to pick up the corpse of the Mhytre and move it to the mausoleum, placing it on one of the shelves with its kin. "And in return for that favor," Sannit declares to the other Seekers, "I'm keeping the pickaxe."
 

Advertisement

Top