• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.
  • The RSS feed for the news page has changed. Use this link. The old one displays the forums, not the news.

RPGs TUW: The Steel Trade [IC]

Kwargrow

Villager
Sannit nods in greeting to the newcomer and says to the Seekers, "I think it is safe to cross the water now. We'll go first." San-Bolo cross the river with Turtle, but they will wait for the other Seekers before doing anything else.
 
Last edited:

redraider629

Villager
Vadin looks around at the party, then says "Greetings, my name is Vadin Grav. As you heard I have lost my companions as we were hunting. If it were not for the Spiofthest I am not sure what would have happened. Might I join you across the river? Being injured as I am, it probably is best to not go it alone."

As Vadin said these words he turns to the Spiofthest who rescued him and gives them an appreciative nod.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Kwargrow

Villager
San-Bolo take a moment to clasp wrists with Vadin and Sannit gestures to himself, then Bolo, then Turtle, naming them each. He knows the other Seekers will want to do their own introductions and says, "Be at ease. We can cross over the water easier than you can with your wound. When we are gathered again we can see about how to help you heal."

Sannit catches the attention of the Faethrin leader and draws a rudimentary map in the dirt, indicating where Southroad Fair is and attempting to convey that it is a good place for trade.

Bolo watches Sannit's back with her usual suspicious calm. It does not surprise her to learn of hostile Da'Roneh in this area. She knows too well how violent her former people can be.

Turtle sniffs at the newcomer to get his scent. He considers trying to make friends with the other animals, but thinks better of it and keeps watch at Bolo's side.
 
Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Day 93: Meeting Vadin

San-Bolo cross the river with Turtle, but they will wait for the other Seekers before doing anything else.
Sannit enters the stream first getting his footing. He immediately realizes that Bolo, due to her height will not be able to walk across but would be forced to swim. Bolo enters the water and allows Sannit to drag her across as she floats. The going is slow. Turtle finds enjoyment in the expedition and does not mind being carried downstream before he can exit on the other side.

Sheldon, watching the progress offers,
"Tor and Saemund, since you are the tallest you should cross to help retrieve the injured man. Indigo and I will wait here. We should see what more we can do for is injury after he is back on this side."

Sannit catches the attention of the Faethrin leader and draws a rudimentary map in the dirt, indicating where Southroad Fair is and attempting to convey that it is a good place for trade.
The Spiofthest gather to look at the map. Most seem to indicate understanding. They give audible thanks and bid farewell, heading downstream.


Kwargrow said:
Turtle sniffs at the newcomer to get his scent. He considers trying to make friends with the other animals, but thinks better of it and keeps watch at Bolo's side.
Turtle exits the stream and shakes himself dry like a dog. The red wolf is curious and greets the bear with much sniffing. The leopard keeps its distance. The wolf's handler keeps an eye on him, finally speaking some calm words. The wolf returns to his side.
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Sheldon said:
"Tor and Saemund, since you are the tallest you should cross to help retrieve the injured man. Indigo and I will wait here. We should see what more we can do for is injury after he is back on this side."
Tor nods, "Consider it done!" Turning to Saemund, he says, "Come, my friend, let's help this newcomer get across the river."

Merin and Myth watch passively as this is going on, but their minds are active.

Myth: ~Yuck. Why do they like to get wet so often? Water is for drinking, you silly fools. Who wants to get wet? It's so uncomfortable and inconvenient. It's much better to remain dry.~

Merin:~I wonder if I could use Way to lessen the water's density, making it easier and quicker for us to cross the river?~ With that thought, Merin decides to try it on Tor. He begins concentrating, trying to make the water "move out of Tor's way."

OOC: Compare to a drop of Dawn dish-washing liquid hitting an area of grease.

GM: Because the river is moving, if a mass of water could be affected in such a manner it would quickly move downstream. However, there is no precept for Merin understanding density or viscosity. It might occur to him, though, to try to make Tor heavier. This is not possible as the amount of matter in a substance cannot be changed. For Merin's particular training he could cause a controlled push of air to carry Tor across, but the distance is too great as yet.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Day 93: Regathering on the North Bank

With the assistance of Tor and Saemund, Sannit is able to guide Vadin back across the river with Bolo in tow. Turtle once again lets the current take him and reaches the other side faster than the slow moving people. He waits at the bank with Sheldon and Indigo.

Sheldon and Indigo introduce themselves. Indigo also calls the pack animals from their hiding position and has them meet him as well so that they will be comfortable with him. Once everyone has caught their breath Indigo approaches Vadin about the extent of his injury.

He has some bruising from the fall. The Spiofthest removed the arrow and cleaned the wound. They also added some medicinal herbs to speed the healing process.

Sheldon begins,
"This far away from civilization, I am going to be blunt. I can sense that you are aware of the presence of Way, that invisible wave of energetics present in all thing, though you are as yet untrained in it. With your time as a guard in the Tin Caravan, you will likely have noticed that could sense danger before others and healed at a slightly faster rate than others. This is because of your ability to manipulate Way, instinctively.

When away from civilization, we have all practiced with this extensively and can train you in such. I am telling you all of this to let you know that when we tend to your wounds we can accelerate the natural healing process from days to minutes. This is likely to be a bit of a shock
."
 

redraider629

Villager
Vadin thinks to himself, ~He is right, I have heard of Way. Very interesting.

Vadin then replies to Sheldon "I have heard about Way. I never truly understood it, nor knew for sure if it was real" Vadin pauses for a moment. He begins to think and has a sudden realization and continues "Now that I think about it I have noticed danger approaching before others as well as healing at a faster rate. Though I have always explained it away. I don't know if it was fear of what others thought that led me to question it, or just my own stubbornness. However, I do know something is telling me you know of what you speak, and it would be wise for me to listen. I would not only appreciate insight in Way, but also appreciate training on manipulating it."
 
Last edited:

Kwargrow

Villager
After San-Bolo use their familiar trick of drying themselves and their clothes with Way, Sannit grins at Vadin and says, "Way is a mystery that never comes completely unraveled, and we Seekers have dedicated ourselves to helping each other grow in its use. The only thing more confusing than the many uses for Way is how some people are afraid of it."

Bolo will help with the healing if she is needed while Sannit and Turtle keep watch this time.
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Technical Post

GM: Previous to meeting Vadin the following XP has been earned.

Problem Solving / Innovative Ideas:
  • Everyone and Companions: 3
Individual Role Play:
  • Tor: 7
  • Merin: 7
  • Myth: 3
  • Sannit: 10
  • Bolo: 9
  • Turtle: 7
  • Saemund: 10

OOC: Saemund used 9 points to increase Knowledge to 10, which conveyed 1 point to Wisdom and 1 point to Collegiate. Collegiate being then raised to 10 conveyed 1 point to Theologic.

He has 4 XP saved for later use.

Saemund can now manipulate Way at range, not just by touch.
 
Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Day 93: Integrating the Newcomer

Sheldon motions to Bolo as the 2 of them have become the most proficient healers in the group.
"I suspect the Spiofthest who helped you might have been able to do something similar, but as this talent is limited to about 10% of the population, those of use who can are cautious of necessity. Superstition is still too prevalent in common society.

This will not hurt, though it will feel strange. You will be hungry afterward
."

GM:
OOC: Invigorate:
Range: Touch
Effectiveness:
  • Essence + Adhesion + Invocation +
  • Mind + Knowledge + Will + Wisdom + Discipline +
  • Collegiate + Academic / Theologic
Time: 10 days[loss / (target Confluence + target Will + Effectiveness + d100)]

This increases the rate of return of the loss of Body and Health to the target.

Sheldon: 69
Bolo: 67
Bark of Mending: Effectiveness x3

Time: 10 * 5 / (8 + 8 + 136*3 + 84 ) = 2 hours, 22 minutes

Vadin is not only pleased with the acceleration of his body's natural healing process, he may very well be amazed. The bruises cease to ache and disappear almost immediately. The wound at his hip closes and mends from the inside out, leaving a small scar.

Indigo speaks short sentences in the little Centrin that she knows from her time with Sheldon. Her rich alto voice coming as a bit of surprise to Vadin, especially since she is most often quiet.
"We will work on your Ansylin while we travel. It is easier for all of us. We are on a mission to find some Mhytres. Our blacksmith in Southroad Fair was killed. It will be some time before you might meet up with your Tin Caravan, but if you wish to stay with us, a good sword hand is always helpful."

She points at Sheldon.
"Even after taking a spear to the gut, he still wants to fight empty handed."

GM: The party makes camp at the current location to give Vadin time to fully heal. Sheldon and Indigo decide to do some fishing, catching 9 fat trout from the swift clean waters.
 
Last edited:

redraider629

Villager
Vadin thinks for a moment, and replies "I think the company would be good, and I would much rather travel with you all. You shall have my sword."
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Day 94 - 96: Moving Upstream

Vadin thinks for a moment and replies,
"I think the company would be good, and I would much rather travel with you all. You shall have my sword."
Sheldon smiles.
"Good to have you along."

As the party travels Sheldon, Sannit, and Saemund work with Vadin on increasing his knowledge and sensitivity to various metals. Indigo and Bolo work with him using feathers and stones, while Tor and Merin explain the uses of bones, claws, and teeth.

During the courses of conversations, Vadin is able to gather that the group has deliberately diversified itself to be able to manipulate way across all mediums. In time he will want to choose a particular proclivity as well, since it is disadvantageous to attempt to pursue all.

During the course of the day, the elevation continues to rise and fall more dramatically. The grassland becomes spotted with trees then more densely covered. The change in elevation also brings a slight cooling to the heat of the plains. Linear travel has also slowed by half.

During the following day, the party does not encounter anything significant. Several varmints are spotted but allowed to simple move away, since plenty of deer meat remains. Later in the afternoon, some bright yellow beetles are discovered, these having carapaces about the size of a mans head. Three are captured for use. Cursory searches are done for known metals, stones, and herbs while traveling.

The second day of travel produces some upland game birds, of which none are taken due to the abundance of deer meat. The topography causes the stream to be inaccessible at various points during the day. By the end of the second day, it is considered too difficult to try to cross. Cursory searches are again done for known metals, stones, and herbs.

The third day brings the party into the true foothills of the mountains. No path remains of where travelers might have before passed. The land is much different here than any the Seekers have experienced before. The air is cooler. The towering trees of various foliage are sparsely placed among the rocks and crags. The common fauna is different as well bringing new birds and varmints into view.

OOC: New Collections:
  • 3 Yellow Carapaces (10% coverage)
  • 10 Gold Ingots
  • 8 Molybdenum Ingots
  • 1 Starburst Stone (Mottled clear and bright yellow)
  • 1 Blue Stone
  • 1 Flower of Fortification
  • 1 Flower of Mobility
 
Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Day 96: An Unexpected Encounter

Later into the afternoon, everyone quiets at the same time as if triggered by some unseen queue, when a sense of imminent danger arises. Whoever is traveling closest to Vadin, at the time, touches his arm to let him know. His detection range requires more training to reach that of the others. Suddenly a terrible squealing noise precedes the sounds of rapid running coming directly for the party. Whatever is running toward the party is coming from their forward left flank and will be visible within about 3 seconds.

GM: State immediate intentions.
 

Kwargrow

Villager
Sannit will take up a guard position with his spear at the front of the group. Bolo will be right behind him with a nocked arrow. In response to the squeal Turtle will let out a bear roar to possibly discourage whatever enemy is approaching and give his people more time to react.
 

redraider629

Villager
Vadin will stand next to Sannit drawing his longsword and stands in a defensive stance watching the direction the noise is coming from.
 

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Saemund reaches for the small of his back and produces his carving axes with a flourish. Each spinning once in the flat of his palm. Although he shows no expression, he is inwardly pleased in the manner that he retrieved his weapons. Figuring that a creature small enough to be hidden by the grass and making that much noise is being pursued.

He focuses behind the creature that is tearing through the grass toward them. He reaches out with way and searches for life forms. If he senses anything he will attempt to sense whether it is humanoid, and it's disposition. If it is humanoid and hostile he will alert the others and will prepare to throw one of his carving axes at it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Day 96: Assessing the Squeal

Sannit will take up a guard position with his spear at the front of the group. Bolo will be right behind him with a nocked arrow. In response to the squeal Turtle will let out a bear roar to possibly discourage whatever enemy is approaching and give his people more time to react.
GM: All action takes place within one second's time. As soon as Turtle roars, the squeal is repeated. It is suspected to be that of a very frightened young ram. Turtle's roar causes the running animals to change direction.

There is very little undergrowth at this point. The grasses of the plains having been left behind. The animal cannot quite be seen clearly due to the shadows and its speed, but it cross into view very near the tail end of the party's line of travel.
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Day 96: Assessing the Squeal, Part 2

Saemund ... focuses behind the creature that is tearing through the grass toward them. He reaches out with way and searches for life forms...
GM: Not quite being adept enough at manipulating way, Saemund's eyesight proves more useful at the moment. He is pretty certain it is a small ram running through the trees. It is being chased by something much larger on four legs, but cannot determine what, as yet.

Danger is imminent, but though the source is not a person, there will not be enough time to analyze it with way before it arrives.
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tor takes up a defensive position with sword and board, focusing on making the blade icy cold, by removing the heat from the area around it.

Myth stands ready next to Tor, and follows Turtle's example, letting out a feline roar that sounds eerily like a woman screaming.

Merin is standing about 4 paces to Tor's left, his mind focusing, preparing to use a fire attack on whatever hostile creature pops into view.
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Day 96: Assessing the Squeal, Part 3

Tor takes up a defensive position with sword and board, focusing on making the blade icy cold, by removing the heat from the area around it.
GM: In 1.3 seconds of time...
OOC: Frost:Affect / Range:
  • Confluence + Will
Effectiveness:
  • Essence + Confluence +
  • Mind + Knowledge + Will +
  • Collegiate + Theologic

Tor: 53

Tellerian Hawke said:
Myth stands ready next to Tor, and follows Turtle's example, letting out a feline roar that sounds eerily like a woman screaming.
GM: Myth lets out his cry about 1 second after Turtle's roar. As he does so the bleating ram changes direction again, in panic, flanking to its right carrying it away from the line of the party toward their left rear flank.

Its bleating is immediately cut off by a roar more similar to Turtle's but a bit deeper in pitch. This gives the indication that more than one predator was chasing the same game.

Tellerian Hawke said:
Merin is standing about 4 paces to Tor's left, his mind focusing, preparing to use a fire attack on whatever hostile creature pops into view.
GM: Merin can see that the fleeing ram was captured by a large predator but the shadows of the trees and rocky outcroppings camouflage the predator's identity as yet. The corpse of the small ram is slung away to the side.

The predators roar again in what would be a loud and frightening manner to a lesser group of people. This particular roar has not before been heard, but the party now knows it is facing at least 2 foes.
 
Last edited:

Advertisement

Top