[UPDATED - With Cubicle 7] Games Workshop Concluding Deal For Licensing Rights To Warhammer Fantasy

Either Cubicle 7 or Modiphius.

I note that the license seems to be just for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, and not for the 40KRPG lines.

What this indicates to me is that Cubicle is very much catering for a very British, long time fan favourite (although gamers from the rest of the world can like it too!). WFRP - or 'wuffrup' as it is sometimes called - has built up a pretty big cult following in the UK over the years. This would very much compliment the Cubicle 7 style as well as their other titles, like Doctor Who and The One Ring - whereas I kinda feel that the 40K stuff has a slightly different market somehow, and has run it's course a little too. WFRP, with it's slightly more humorous tone has more lasting appeal.

I don't think they need to do much development on what has already been done before, although I'd like to see the 1st Edition stuff - especially The Enemy Within Campaign - made available again. But 2nd edition was a highly polished system, while 3rd edition gave it's all for experimental design already. I could see their being an attempt to make a 5E version, but it would be tricky to reconcile D&Ds Class system with WFRPs career-path system without losing some of the flavour. The actual game in play would be fine though.

Abhi5_5

First Post
I am fascinated by this awesome news and really look forward to see the new WFRP developed under the capable hands of C7. But, I will prefer that it won't get destroyed by a 5e conversion. WFR in all its iterations had this very realistic career path system where you can choose to be rat-catcher and somehow survive enough to become a toll-taker at best (maybe even better or worse). I have yet see D&D 5e show this kind of progression properly. Not only that, WFR had an elaborate wound system with hit location and damage reduction, where 5e still follows the AC to calculate hits. In WFR you could lose your arm, eye or be maimed quite badly, something that I don't find in the 5e hp system. Lastly the specific 'winds of magic' spellcasting system shows clearly different mode of risk-management which absolutely doesn't go with the current modified spellslot magic system 5e has.

I am not against 5e which is a very successful system but it is more for a heroic feel rather than an authentic 'Grim-dark' feel. A Priest of Sigmar having an AC of 18 will never falter while standing in front of a gibbering rotting plague bearing demon of Nurgle. So I definitely want a new WFRP game but please by Sigmar's Twin tailed comet, don't make it a 5e game. It will ruin the WFRP old world.

bsmith

First Post
I could see their being an attempt to make a 5E version, but it would be tricky to reconcile D&Ds Class system with WFRPs career-path system without losing some of the flavour. The actual game in play would be fine though.

I agree with a wider mechanics disparity between WFRP1/2/3 and D&D, and trying to combine these would lose aspects which actually appealed to WFRP gamers. However the setting flavour of the Old World has already been lost with GWs new fantasy setting Age of Sigmar. This latter point is more the travesty to those who knew it as it was.

So I definitely want a new WFRP game but please by Sigmar's Twin tailed comet, don't make it a 5e game. It will ruin the WFRP old world.

GW already ruined their Old World with the End Times leading to the Age of Sigmar. I can see that the size of the 5E D&D market is bigger than those who were in the WFRP1/2/3 market and the former make more business sense for the licencee to concentrate on.

Why do some people think WFRP4 will be set in Old World setting and reusing previously published content? GW want the old fantasy setting forgotten, dead and in Morr's realm so supporting any spin-offs that keep it alive (or undead) go against pleasing the shareholders.

Will Doyle

Explorer
Why do some people think WFRP4 will be set in Old World setting and reusing previously published content? GW want the old fantasy setting forgotten, dead and in Morr's realm so supporting any spin-offs that keep it alive (or undead) go against pleasing the shareholders.

Their approach to licensing doesn't seem to support that view at present though. See "Warhammer: Total War": released after Age of Sigmar, rooted in the Old World setting, with plenty of expansion packs scheduled.

bsmith

First Post
Their approach to licensing doesn't seem to support that view at present though. See "Warhammer: Total War": released after Age of Sigmar, rooted in the Old World setting, with plenty of expansion packs scheduled.

That may appear true, but if you consider the legal stuff, announcements and production timelines the "Warhammer: Total War" rolling stone was probably already in motion before Age of Sigmar blighted the lives of the Old World fans. Now that they have Age of Sigmar, any *new* thing they licence is likely to be in their new setting. Why would they do otherwise?

trystero

Explorer
Also, I do not remember C7 doing any of their game lines on Kickstarter, or at least none of the higher profile, licensed stuff.
World War Cthulhu, Cthulhu Britannica, and Lone Wolf Adventure Game were all Kickstarted C7 lines, and all three are licensed. But I expect that Chaosium and Joe Dever (RIP) had less-restrictive licensing terms than GW does.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
I'd be very surprised, and somewhat disappointed, if it turned out to be Warhammer Age of Sigmar Roleplay.

Why I think they will go with The Old World and v2 as the basis:

1. Cuts out developing time. Quicker launch possible.
2. Nostalgia is popular. There few more nostalgic than WFRP fans.
3. Instant fan base. An Age of Sigmar RPG would be a new game, so no "free" customers. If it would be Age of Sigmar, lots and lots of people would be very disappointed, and the game would have an instant uphill battle to win the hearts of WFRP players.
4. People at Cubicle7 worked on WFRPv2. So it would be an easy thing to pick up again.
5. Massive brand power. As massive as it can be in the RPG world. Not something you would want to throw away.
6. GW hedging their bets. If they license WFRP Old World, that IP will be further developed. If Age of Sigmar tanks, then they could reboot the Old World, since it's been kept alive.

CapnZapp

Legend
I know nothing about Age of Sigmar (other than, I guess you could adventure in, duh, the age of Sigmar), so for me the question would be "what do you mean they will go with The Old World? As if there are any other Warhammer worlds...?"

Remove ads

Remove ads