What could a scientist in my Star Wars RPG be researching or working on?

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Interesting concept but that would destroy the planet.

Naw, this would take a tiny spec of material. On a massive scale there would be problems, but the scale would have to truly massive. The bigger problem is getting the ship to survive, since it would be briefly overlaying core material.

Thx!
TomB

Zardnaar

Legend
Naw, this would take a tiny spec of material. On a massive scale there would be problems, but the scale would have to truly massive. The bigger problem is getting the ship to survive, since it would be briefly overlaying core material.

Thx!
TomB

It might now or at least extinction level event. A star destroyer ship at hyperspace speed might be able to do it. Wouldn't work in old Star Wars might now idk. Since you can now use it as a weapon and hyperspace into gravity Wells.

Maximum7

Explorer
Someone on writingforums.org knocked some sense into me. The Star Wars galaxy has had 1,000’s of years to develop stuff so all science left to do is theoretical or observational. I’m going to have him study asteroids. Thanks for putting up with me.

Zardnaar

Legend
Someone on writingforums.org knocked some sense into me. The Star Wars galaxy has had 1,000’s of years to develop stuff so all science left to do is theoretical or observational. I’m going to have him study asteroids. Thanks for putting up with me.

In some ways they are really advanced- very fast FTL for example along with FTL travel.

In other ways their tech is stagnant, a lightsaber or blaster isn't drastically different from a 1000 years ago. You can uusally find some examples of anything in their somewhere but it is often limited to a single series, is lost tech or built by some mysterious race so its not galactic standard so to speak.

Maximum7

Explorer
I’m thinking about doing something related to Hyperspace (but not Hypergates). What science can my scientist study about Hyperspace before he’s called away to deal with the supermassive black hole?

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Developing the theory for a "hyperspace radar" that would let a ship see that a gravity well - such as from a wandering planet - is in its path, far enough away to do something about it.

I’m thinking about doing something related to Hyperspace (but not Hypergates). What science can my scientist study about Hyperspace before he’s called away to deal with the supermassive black hole?

A study on how Hyperspace travel routes change over time due to galactic drift and hyperspace-innate dynamics. This might allow predicting new potential spots for fast trade-routes, maybe even between systems that weren't connected well in the past.
Or he studies a particular gravity well and its impact on hyperspace, in the hopes of finding a better route around or even directly through it, shaving off travel time for particular routes. (Say, if you want to travel between Bastion and Corellia, you could take a new short cut.). Maybe with the hope of generalizing this research enough to apply it to other gravity wells.

MarkB

Legend

Hyperspace travel in Star Wars involves travelling along hyperspace 'lanes' which allow fast travel between star systems along specific routes, and also pre-jump calculations in order to sync up existing navigational data to account for local planetary movement and galactic drift.

So, some reasonably good avenues for research could involve improved methods of mapping and discovering hyperlanes, or ways to make the calculations for a hyperspace jump more quickly.

Maximum7

Explorer
Hyperspace travel in Star Wars involves travelling along hyperspace 'lanes' which allow fast travel between star systems along specific routes, and also pre-jump calculations in order to sync up existing navigational data to account for local planetary movement and galactic drift.

So, some reasonably good avenues for research could involve improved methods of mapping and discovering hyperlanes, or ways to make the calculations for a hyperspace jump more quickly.

How could I make navicomputers more efficient or better at making jumps?

MarkB

Legend
How could I make navicomputers more efficient or better at making jumps?

That's up to you - I don't know what works for your setting. It could be anywhere from something boring like improving the software coding to something spectacular like detonating warheads in hyperspace to create the hyperspatial equivalent of sonar pings.

Remove ads