WOTC finally updates the brownie and boggart!

Hashmalum

Explorer
On-na?

I'm guessing that the superfluous hyphen in on-na is the result of some system of Romanization that I am not familiar with that routinely adds a hyphen after each occurence of the monosyllabic 'n' sound. There are some cases where this is actually important, and confusion can arise, but usually an apostrophe is used instead. Example: zen'aku (compound word formed from 'zen' and 'aku'; the apostrophe is needed to indicate that the n and the a are individual syllables). Of course, it's completely gratuitous in 'onna', at least to anyone the least bit familiar with Japanese.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
How they spell on-na is probably Demonic or something, not Japanese. :)

Has anyone picked up Libris Mortem? Near the first page is a note that Libris Mortem is actually a dialect of Celestial or something like that, not a derranged form of Latin, which I think would then be Libram Mortis, though I'm not a Latin speaker. So shhh, on-na is Demonic, not a derranged form of Japanese.

Gez

First Post
It is "Libris Mortis", and the translation they give would be, in correct latin, "Ex Libris Mortium", for "from the book of the dead".

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Originally posted by Gez
It is "Libris Mortis", and the translation they give would be, in correct latin, "Ex Libris Mortium", for "from the book of the dead".

Okay, so I don't have the book myself and can't remember the name of the actual book. Nor do I know Latin...I think you missed the point of my post though...

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Hashmalum said:
I'm guessing that the superfluous hyphen in on-na is the result of some system of Romanization that I am not familiar with that routinely adds a hyphen after each occurence of the monosyllabic 'n' sound.

Hmm, a very interesting idea. It would have to be somewhat dated though, as I'd never heard of this before you posted it here.

There are some cases where this is actually important, and confusion can arise, but usually an apostrophe is used instead. Example: zen'aku (compound word formed from 'zen' and 'aku'; the apostrophe is needed to indicate that the n and the a are individual syllables). Of course, it's completely gratuitous in 'onna', at least to anyone the least bit familiar with Japanese.

I think a hyphen would work better than an apostraphe there, but it's the lesser of two evils. However, the way you explain it makes it at least understandable.

Remove ads