• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Xanathar's Guide to Everything: What subclasses made the cut?

GarrettKP

Explorer
With Grave Cleric being teased, I am now 99% sure the subclasses will be as follows:

Ancestral Guardian, Storm Herald, Zealot
Glamour, Swords, Whispers
Forge, Grave
Dreams, Sheppard
Arcane Archer, Cavalier, Samurai
Conquest, Redemption
Drunken Master, Kensai
Deep Stalker, Horizon Walker, Monster Slayer
Inquisitive, Scout
Divine Soul, Shadow
Celestial, Hexblade
Theurgy

hejtmane

Explorer
Buy hitting the 40k Mark on the extra life fund raiser they are going to release the table of contents so probably a teaser for reaching that threshold

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I was hoping for the Grave domain. It fits so many gods so much better than Death.

For bards, I'm hoping more for Satire, to make it easier to play a fool bard. For obvious reasons...

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Me too. Path of the Zealot expanded the idea of the Barbarian into Divine territory.

Whenever I see subclasses like the Divine Soul Sorcerer, the Oath of the Ancients Paladin, the Tradition of Theurgy Wizard, or the Scout Archetype Rogue, it makes me happy. Because we're taking a class that isn't normally associated with a particular story group (4e would have called it Power Source, but I would argue that Scout Rogue, despite no spells, is part of a story continuum with many Rangers, Druids, and Barbarians that are somewhat Primal or Nature themed).

Here we have the Barbarian entering into the Divine story group. And that's exciting to me, because it provides a new way of exploring divine archetypes, with a new set of ability scores that favour new races, and all in all lend to new character types that may be explored and played. New stories come from this.

I contrast this with Monster Slayer Conclave Ranger. It's a great subclass, don't get me wrong, and I like the idea of the Van Hellsing Ranger. I just don't think it expands the Ranger too far a field from the Hunter Conclave Ranger, who is specifically hunting down monsters, just maybe not monsters of the night (better with focusing on giant beasts, hordes of goblins, or distant foes, so a more generalist approach rather than a Gothic Vampire/Zombie/Werewolf/Flesh Golem Hunter approach). The idea is archetypal and good for the Ranger. But it doesn't subvert the expectations of the baseline class. If we say Ranger, most people think Hunter, or Beast if they're particularly taken to the 3e+ animal companion. If we say Barbarian, most people think Berserker. If we say Fighter, most people think Champion. If we say Cleric, most people think Life Domain. These are the classes at their most basic cores. It's what appears in the 5e SRD too, for that matter. But some of the new options in the books really excite me as they take the class chassis in a new direction. the PHB did this two, like Oath of the Ancients that I mentioned above. But this was few and far between. Now it's like half the book, and I like it!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads