Dr. Si's Curse of the Crimson Throne OOC

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Since I'd be starting at second level, could you give me a ruling on starting gold, magic items, etc.? Also, how are you doing HP? How many exp should I have? Start of second, or is the group closing in on third by now? What's the procedure for ability scores?

I can't think of any other preliminary questions right now.

I'm considering a Gnome Ranger/Sorcerer - I don't know anything about dragonbreath adepts or duskblades, would that fit with the party?

How 'bout alignments of current party members?

Dr Simon

Explorer
Mowgli,

It's a point buy system, can't recall how many off-hand, but it's in the first OOC post under Character Creation.

Ranger/Sorcerer would probably work, not so sure about gnome, might be too much of a "little people" bias with Ambrus' character as well. Duskblade is a PHB2 class that is an attempt at a fighter/magic-user character without multi-classing. Dragonfire adept is a bit of an odd one, probablt from Dragon Magic. The main focus is on developing breath weapon abilities, sort of a fighter, but Ambrus has gone for a sort of sneaky, fey kind of character with it, the breath weapon aspect is kind of secondary.

We've just lost a sorcerer character and prior to that there was also a barbarian, whose loss they have so far managed to survive.

Hit points: Maximum starting, plus Con bonus, plus Constitution score at first level. After that, standard roll plus Con bonus. You can Invisible Castle it, or I'll roll for you.

Alignments: Not entirely certain, but they tend to the Good side of things. Chaotic, I think.

Starting gold etc.: 600 gp, you can include magic items in this if you wish.

Starting xp: 2200. Next level 3000 xp.

Choose a trait from any of the Paizo AP player's guides. These are a bit better than the "traits" found at d20srd.org, so I'd advise against going there. You can change the background text as much as you like - there's no need to choose a reason to hate Gaedren Lamm as in the Crimson Throne player's guide (although you can if you want). A connection to the existing characters might be an advantage.

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Edmond is duskblade, Mowgli, we need cleric and/or muscle and/or party face (right now there is nobody with social skills in the party). Could you rework Lynn?

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
I'm already playing a cleric in another game - the PF Clerics are cool and I like him quite well, but in general I'm not fond of playing them (but thank the Gods for those who are). I was considering a Celestial bloodline for the sorcerer, however, which would give him some healing ability (Celestial Fire is an at will power that harms evil/heals good creatures, 1d6+1/Level but characters can only take advantage of the healing once per day).

I'm planning to take the Magical Knack character trait, which grants +2 to caster level (up to current total HD). Doc, would you consider allowing this bonus to apply to Celestial Fire (a spell like ability) as well? That would grant a small boost (+1 at current level, maxing out at +2 when he takes another level in a non-sorcerer class) to both damage and healing.

I'm also considering a Monk multiclass rather than Ranger - Doc, some folks are not fond of Monks at all; if you are one such I'll go another direction but if you're OK with them I'll take a closer look at the PF Monk.

As to being the party face - as a sorcerer I'm looking at a relatively high CHA, so even if my character doesn't take training in 'social' skills he'll have a decent bonus to them.

Last edited:

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
One other question - you previously allowed a Tiefling (he's possibly still playing in the Alpha group) disregarding the level adjustment as the other races got boosts in PF.

Would you consider allowing an Aasimar with the same reasoning? It would seem to be an excellent fit racially for a Celestial Sorcerer.

One drawback, of course, would be that neither Monk nor Sorcerer is a favored class for Aasimar, so I'd be missing out on either +1 skill point or +1 HP/level.

Ambrus

Explorer
Dj'hân is largely focused on energy based area effects; a fire blaster so to speak. For the sake of variety it might be good to keep it in mind when selecting your spells and powers.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
also interested in joining i am off the next two days and as i have never played pathfinder would need the time to go over

just need to know if you still have room post in general said rerecuriting 1-3 liked to be one of three

HolyMan

Dr Simon

Explorer
Mowgli:

Monk is fine. I always assumed it was *players* who didn't like them, not GMs.
Also okay with an aasimar, and I reckon that the trait could apply to SLAs as well as spells without being too overpowering. A celestial sorcerer/monk sounds like it ought to have ties with the church of Irori, which would give you a tie to Edmond, possibly.

Holyman:

There's room for another. It'll probably be a little while before the new characters are introduced so you've got some time to come up with something.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Sweet - that's what I'll do then.

Ambrus, I'll keep your fire focus in mind when selecting spells - with a party this small variety is the spice of life! There are three fire based powers for Celestial sorcerers - Heavenly Fire (which is more Holy than Fire, sort of like a focused form of channel energy that targets Evil/Good rather than Dead/Alive), Flamestrike and Sunburst (but not until 11th and 17th level, so it'll be awhile before we have to worry about them).

For spell selection I was actually thinking of using some touch spells to take advantage of the Monk's Unarmed Strike, and maybe rounding those out with some buffs. For ranged stuff (if there are any slots left) I'll try to focus more on forms of energy other than fire.

Last edited:

Remove ads