Dr. Si's Curse of the Crimson Throne - Seven Days to the Grave

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Maybe. But that way they could recover it. We could use another one as bait if we want to draw them out. Or we could simply wait and see if anyone will seek us for revenge. Which I doubt. And selling it to a collector? To what purpose? Someone can some, kill the poor sod and take the weapon. We have money, Mhairri. We don't have to sell things for money."

Axel

First Post
Mhairi's smiled turned sad as Edmond replied. She sighed before speaking. "I can't see any group that was trying to kill a city going after just four individuals. Even for revenge. And why go to the trouble of making another for bait when we have a perfectly good, though bizarre, weapon right here? Who uses a scythe for fighting anyway? It's a farmer's tool for crying out loud! You might as well fight with a plough or a hoe. Besides, I don't have any money, right now. Maybe we'll get a few coins over the next few weeks, but if a little is good then more must be better!"

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Manachan considers the others' words before chiming in with his own opinion. "Perhaps Marshall Kroft has a discretionary fund from which she could purchase the weapon from us. I agree that it shouldn't be sold indiscriminately, but more funds are always welcome. If we're to continue our work, we need the cash."

[sblock=Stat Block]Manachan Aingeali
Male Aasimar Monk 2 Sorcerer 5
LG Medium Outsider (native)
Init +6; Senses Darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +15
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 21, touch 17, flat-footed 18 (+4 armor, +2 Dex, +1 deflection, +1 dodge)
hp 50 (2d8+5d6+7)
Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +10
Defensive Abilities evasion; Resist acid 5, cold 5, electricity 5, fire 5
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 30 ft.
Melee Masterwork Silver Dagger +6 (1d4+1/19-20/x2) and
. . Nunchaku +5 (1d6+2/x2) and
. . Silver Dagger +5 (1d4+1/19-20/x2) and
. . Unarmed strike +5 (1d6+2/x2)
Ranged Heavy crossbow +5 (1d10+2/19-20/x2)
Special Attacks flurry of blows +0/+0, heavenly fire (7/day)
Spell-Like Abilities Corruption Resistance (vs evil, 1 hr/lvl on self)
Sorcerer Spells Known (CL 7):
2 (5/day) Resist Energy, Summon Monster II, Glitterdust (DC 16), Scorching Ray
1 (7/day) Chill Touch (DC 15), Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Grease (DC 15), Bless
0 (at will) Resistance, Touch of Fatigue (DC 14), Daze (DC 14), Read Magic, Prestidigitation (DC 14), Jolt
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 11, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 18
Base Atk +3; CMB +3 (+5 Grappling); CMD 20 (22 vs. Grapple)
Feats Arcane Strike, Dodge, Eschew Materials, Expanded Arcana (Sorcerer), Improved Grapple, Improved Initiative, Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist (3/day) (DC 16), Weapon Finesse
Traits Magical Knack (Sorcerer)
Skills Acrobatics +6 (+11 to make high or long jumps), Bluff +8, Diplomacy +6, Escape Artist +6, Heal +7, Intimidate +9, Knowledge (arcana) +4, Knowledge (history) +4, Knowledge (religion) +4, Perception +15, Sense Motive +9, Spellcraft +4, Stealth +6, Use Magic Device +9; Racial Modifiers +2 Diplomacy, +2 Perception
Languages Celestial, Common
SQ ac bonus +3, bloodlines (celestial), stunning fist (stun), unarmed strike (1d6)
Combat Gear Potion of cure serious wounds, Smokestick (4), Thunderstone (4); Other Gear Crossbow bolts (20), Heavy crossbow, Masterwork Silver Dagger, Nunchaku (2), Silver Crossbow bolts (5), Silver Dagger, Ring of jumping, Ring of protection +1, Grappling hook, Sack (10 @ 15 lbs), Silk rope, Trail rations (8), 2669 GP, 9 SP, 12 CP
--------------------
TRACKED RESOURCES
--------------------
Corruption Resistance (vs evil, 1 hr/lvl on self) (Sp) - 0/1
Crossbow bolts - 0/20
Heavenly Fire (7/day) (Sp) - 2/7
Masterwork Silver Dagger - 0/1
Potion of cure serious wounds - 0/1
Silver Crossbow bolts - 0/5
Silver Dagger - 0/1
Smokestick - 0/4
Stunning Fist (3/day) (DC 16) - 1/3
Thunderstone - 0/4
Trail rations - 0/8
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
AC Bonus +3 The Monk adds his Wisdom bonus to AC and CMD, more at higher levels.
Arcane Strike As a swift action, add +1 damage, +1 per 5 caster levels and your weapons are treated as magic for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Celestial Summoned creatures gain DR 2/evil.
Damage Resistance, Acid (5) You have the specified Damage Resistance against Acid attacks.
Damage Resistance, Cold (5) You have the specified Damage Resistance against Cold attacks.
Damage Resistance, Electricity (5) You have the specified Damage Resistance against Electricity attacks.
Damage Resistance, Fire (5) You have the specified Damage Resistance against Fire attacks.
Darkvision (60 feet) You can see in the dark (black and white vision only).
Eschew Materials Cast spells without materials, if component cost is 1 gp or less.
Evasion (Ex) If you succeed at a Reflex save for half damage, you take none instead.
Flurry of Blows +0/+0 (Ex) Make Flurry of Blows attack as a full rd action.
Heavenly Fire (7/day) (Sp) Ranged touch attack deals 1d4 divine damage/healing
Improved Grapple You don't provoke attacks of opportunity when grappling a foe.
Improved Unarmed Strike Unarmed strikes don't cause attacks of opportunity, and can be lethal.
Magical Knack (Sorcerer) +2 CL for a specific class, to a max of your HD.
Ring of jumping This ring continually allows the wearer to leap about, providing a +5 competence bonus on all his Acrobatics checks made to make high or long jumps.

Construction
Requirements: Forge Ring, creator must have 5 ranks in the Acrobatics skill; Cost 1,250 gp
Stunning Fist (3/day) (DC 16) You can stun an opponent with an unarmed attack.
Stunning Fist (Stun) (Ex) At 1st level, the monk gains Stunning Fist as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites. At 4th level, and every 4 levels thereafter, the monk gains the ability to apply a new condition to the target of his Stunning Fist. This conditio
Unarmed Strike (1d6) The Monk does lethal damage with his unarmed strikes.
--------------------
Silken hair the color of spun gold; eyes the dark blue of deep ocean but shot through with silver; skin the hue of milk with just a hint of chocolate. Manachan was a sensation among his much darker Varisian clan – plainly proof that their kapenia showed true and that their line was descended from divinity.

The Aingeali clan claims descent in direct line from Irori himself, though the claim has been disputed by many. The birth of Manachan, with his very unusual coloring, has been taken as proof by his parents and others of the clan. In many ways, the young man had a charmed childhood.

However, the pressure on him to live up to his ancestor’s divine example has been tremendous, and has led to great internal conflict between the wild ways of his nationality and the discipline espoused by his perfect ancestry. In an effort to resolve this conflict, Manachan left his clan at the age of 13 to enter a small monastery devoted to Irori. He has spent the last four years there, training relentlessly and learning that the path to perfection requires, for him at least, a balance between freedom and discipline, and carefully maintained contradiction between his clan’s nature and his ancestor’s teachings. Adding to his difficulties, about a year after entering the monastery his sorcerous abilities manifested. The instinctual nature of his magic disrupted even further the strict discipline required by the teachings of the monks.

Now 17 and finished with his studies at the monastery, Manachan has found that balance and been released into the world to continue his struggles toward perfection. A confident, outgoing young man with an easy humor and tremendous ability, he has found it fairly easy thus far to make his way.

Now at loose ends and with no instruction other than to find his own way to pursue his perfection, Manachan resolved to return to Korvosa – he had met a young scholar (Edmond) there on one of his errands for the monastery and they had struck a fast friendship. He was fascinated with the life of the sprawling city and decided that learning more of it would provide him some valuable lessons for his path.

Manachan dresses in dark, smoky oranges and forest greens, typically wearing a narrow kilt like wrap from the waist down and either going bare chested or donning a simple tunic – depending on weather and social requirements of his current location. He keeps his hair tied in a ponytail. Other than eyebrows his body is completely lacking secondary hair. He wears his bata strapped to his back, along with his crossbow. All of his other belongings he carries in a sack – to be dropped at a moment’s notice in case of a need to defend himself.

Hero Lab® and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
Pathfinder® and associated marks and logos are trademarks of Paizo Publishing, LLC®, and are used under license.[/sblock]

Neurotic

"Which we cannot spend due to increasing oppression of The Maidens. We use what we find. If we're done here, let's see if we can find anything worth Marshal Krofts attention and let's check on the Varisians and go home to the kids. Let's hope we don't have to fight our way over the bridges. If we're forced underground or into the boats, we'll have trouble reaching the marshal."

Kaodi

Hero
"There were just a couple of rooms left to search," says Ignatius, stashing what he can into sacks he pulls out of his pack and them placing them back in the pack. The ifrit then goes to investigate the South side doors off of the vat room.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Ignatius leads the search of the remaining rooms in the complex. There is no-one else left down here, alive or dead. The two rooms to the south of the room containing the vats of raw blood veil are simple storage rooms containing kindling and water supplies. The other room off the entrance hall seems to be a barracks, lined with beds and lockers onctaining personal effects. With Mhairi's help you manage to glean some coin - 11pp, 40 gp, 58sp and 160cp, as well as some bottles of wine that may be worth some small value and a small carved onyx skull (non-magical).

With little left in the complex to loot or destroy, the group returns to the surface where they meet Mamusia Lela and Taddeus, along with Nurse Brunlida.

"The young lady has seen the error of her ways and is helping us now," says Mamusia Lela. "It fills an old woman's heart with joy to see the young lady and gentlemen again. I hear of terrible things down there, I trust you prevailed? What news of Korvosa's ills?"

Kaodi

Hero
"We have twice slain the fell priestess of the Pallid Princess who commanded the forces of death stationed here," answers Ignatius. "Several vats of pure Blood Veil remain, and we will have to come up with some method of destroying them, but by the grace of the Dawnflower, I hope that the pestilence no longer has anyone to spread it purposefully." The ifrit pauses for a moment to rub his chin, "Of course, the matter of the Grey Maidens that still patrol the streets, and their leader at he Queen's side, may be no small matter to yet overcome. But if we can get to the Marshall we should be able to consolidate our resources and tackle and loose ends. We could certainly use some rest though as well, and a chance to look over some of the objects we have liberated from their previous owners."

Last edited:

Dr Simon

Explorer
With the Cult of Urgathoa seemingly destroyed, the blood veil no longer spreads as virulently as it once did, but Korvosa is a broken city with many houses abandoned, boarded up and marked with the red cross of the plague. The streets are quiet, Citadel Volshyanek is eerily empty and litter strewn, Marshal Kroft having lost many personnel to the plague.

But there is hope. Mamusia Lela and Brindom think that the notes of Doctor Davaulus and Rolth contain enough clues to help with the formulation of a cure for blood veil. Kroft thanks the group on behalf of the city and gives them each a writ that can be redeemed for goods throughout Korvosa, including the Citadel armoury. She looks askance at the enchanted scythe.

"A weapon like that is intrinsicly linked with evil cultists," she says, "but I am authorised by the City to pay a bounty on dangerous magic items, so I could take it off your hands if you like."

Word spreads of the events under the Hospice of the Blessed Maiden, and the group are lauded as heroes of the city wherever they go. There are other, darker rumours too, however, that the Grey Maidens were somehow implicated. Some blame the Queen, others blame Sabina Merrin, leader of the Grey Maidens and purported lover of the Queen, and some rumours accuse Sabina of attempting to gain control of the city via her influence on the Queen (who has not been seen in public since the disease started). Others blame the Order of the Nail, who retreated from the city as soon as the plague began, part of a plot by Cheliax to reclaim Korvosa, so they say. The ruthless efficiency of the Grey Maidens, however, quash any pockets of trouble, and for the most part the citizens of Korvosa are still too shocked from the recent events to cause trouble. Perhaps that was the plan all along.

And the House of the Forgotten bides its time.

[sblock=OOC]
Well done, that's pretty much it for Seven Days to the Grave! I'll start a new thread for the next installment - Escape from Old Korvosa - soon.

Meanwhile the PCs have 2500gp worth of vouchers that they can spend, and you can effectively "sell" any items to Kroft. They also gain a +2 bonus to all Bluff and Diplomacy checks against citizens of Korvosa thanks to their fame. Or at least, against those who appreciate what they have done...
[/sblock]

Neurotic

They also gain a +2 bonus to all Bluff and Diplomacy checks against citizens of Korvosa thanks to their fame.
OOC:
and to Intimidate (or Bluff to intimidate) for those who do not :)

Also, I think Kroft taking the weapon is nice solution to moral dilemma, although I'd still like to destroy it (it can be taken from the armory esp. if Maidens are ones doing the taking)

How are the orphans? And Varisians? Also, why would we escape old Korvosa, there is our (well, my) home ;) I bet that's not in the adventure path script :)

So, what do we do with all that money? I can sell my breast plate and take looted magical one. I'd like to enchant Deathwail to +1 weapon.. [MENTION=1231]Kaodi[/MENTION], which armors can Ignatius use?

Who will take resistance cloak? Or take mine and I'll take +2 one :p

Remove ads