Fall Ceramic Dm™ - Winner!

MarauderX

Explorer
Funeris said:
You live in Alexandria...maybe a half hour from me...a suburb of dc....and....you....have.........livestock?

Do you mean pets?? or kids???

2 of the former, 1 of the latter if you count me. My wife has to muster us together like a herd and with a few zaps from the cattle prods we get moving in the right direction. Judging sticks are like the soft velvet of a field of grain against my callous hide.

Funeris, are you going to the DC game day on Oct. 29th?

Aris Dragonborn

First Post
EDIT: Nevermind. Forgot the difference between 'words' and 'characters' (as in word count, characters w/out spaces, characters w/spaces). D'oh. :eek:

*waves hand* Nothing to see here, move along. :uhoh:

Last edited:

mythago

Hero
Yep, feel free to take artistic license. Sialia once turned a picture of a box sitting in snow into the top of a chimney poking up through a crust of salt.

One thing to be avoided is to make the picture a picture within the story or a dream. Not that these things are forbidden, but they're kinda cheaty ways to get a picture into a story and are so frowned upon.

Ex-alternates, no worries: but there have been problems in the past with people signing up and then showing up two weeks later saying "oh wow, forgot I entered," so I wanted to make sure y'all were still around.

Funeris

First Post
MarauderX said:
Funeris, are you going to the DC game day on Oct. 29th?

That's a good question...wasn't even aware there was a game day coming up so fast. I've never been...and that's the day after my b-day. We're supposed to have a b-day party but if I can make it, I will. My girly loves DC.

Now I'll have to look for the game day thread. :D

~Fune

Aris Dragonborn

First Post
Thanks, mythago.

Here, then, is my entry.

Round 2: SteelDraco vs. tadk vs. Aris Dragonborn

The Justicar

Daniel pulled into the parking lot of the convenience store, thoroughly exhausted and needing both a strong cup of coffee and a visit to the bathroom. He walked in and took a good look around. Everything looked normal. Not a soul in the place other than the old man behind the counter. Daniel approached him.

“Excuse me sir, but do you have a bathroom I could use? And fresh coffee?” he asked.

“Yes to both,” the old man replied. “The john’s at the back of the store, and the coffee’s over by the beer case.”

“Thanks. You just saved my life,” Daniel said, walking quickly to the back of the store and into the bathroom.

He closed the door, stood before the urinal, and got down to business. Letting out a gusty sigh, he zipped himself up after he finished, then went to the sink to wash his hands.
“Hello Daniel.”

Jumping about a foot into the air and stumbling back from the sink, Daniel barely managed to choke off the scream that threatened to erupt from his throat. In the mirror was the image a young, red-haired girl. She was wearing a blue-striped turtleneck, and each cheek bore a small red circle; one was on her lips as well. She smiled openly, and covered her mouth with her hands to stifle a giggle.

“Hello Lilith. Didn’t your uncle ever teach you it’s bad manners to surprise people like that?” he asked. “I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest.” He walked back to the sink, and began washing his hands.

“Actually, he did. But I decided it would be more fun to do it this way. As a matter of fact, my uncle is the one who sent me to find you,” she said, still grinning.

“Oh? What does Nicodemus want with me?” he asked, not looking up.

Lilith’s voice dropped to a whisper, and she leaned forward. “Not here,” she said. “We need to talk somewhere more private…somewhere safe.” Daniel looked up, and was surprised to see a hint of fear in her eyes.

“Got anywhere in mind?” he asked.

Lilith nodded. “Get your coffee, then meet me around the back of the store. There’s one of those old Color Photo booths out back. The old man has almost forgotten it’s there, so I doubt he’ll notice us if we use it – or care,” she replied.

Daniel ripped off several sheets of paper towels. “Sounds good to me. Be there in a few,” he said as he dried his hands.

A few minutes later, cup off coffee in hand, Daniel made his way to the back of the store. There, just as Lilith had said, was the photo booth. A large sign with the word “Color” in large print still retained much of its luster, though the light fixtures had ceased to function long since. He took a quick look around, making sure there were no unfriendly eyes, and entered.

Lilith sat on the bench, arms wrapped around her knees and a serious look in her eyes. She watched Daniel sit down, but said nothing.

Daniel let the silence stretch for a few minutes, then finally asked, “What’s the story?”

Lilith continued to stare at him, and Daniel began to feel a vague sense of unease growing in his gut. Finally, Lilith whispered, “One of the Ashan’gar has been sighted. Close by.”

Daniel felt the coffee turn to acid as his stomach began to churn. “And?” he asked, knowing the answer.

Her eyes bright and a tremor in her voice, Lilith replied, “And he’s after you.”

Daniel said nothing; he just sipped at his coffee, not tasting it. He tried to keep his voice steady as he asked his next question. “Is it someone we know, or someone new?”

Lilith’s voice finally cracked as she said, “It’s Mordred.”

Daniel’s heart sank to his toes.

Lilith regained some measure of control, wiped her eyes, and said, “My uncle wants you to come home for a while; just until Mordred gives up his search. He believes that Mordred would even dare consider attacking one of the Justicar’s strongholds without giving it some serious thought,” she said. A pleading look came into her eyes as she said, “Come home, Daniel. Please.”

Daniel could not meet her eyes. Part of him wanted to leave just as fast as he could. Memories of his last encounter with Mordred surfaced in his mind, memories that he had no wish to relive. He had almost died in that battle, and though he had defeated Mordred that day, causing him to flee, he had no desire to fight him again.

And yet the other part of him would not let him run. He was a Justicar; for what other purpose did he serve if not to fight the Ashan’gar? For over 1000 years the Justicars and the Magi had been all that stood between the earth and the Ashan’gar. If he left now, and Mordred appeared, he would slaughter the old man in the store. Daniel realized that he couldn’t run. Sooner or later, he would have to face Mordred again. It would be better to choose to stand to fight rather than be forced to fight when Mordred finally ran him down.

Daniel’s thought were interrupted by the realization that it had grown cold. He looked at Lilith, whose teeth had begun to chatter. A look of naked fear crossed her face, and she rose quickly from the bench.

“Daniel, come on! We have no time! He’s close by, can’t you feel him?” her voice was raw; she was, Daniel realized, on the edge of panicking.

It was time to calm her down. “Relax, Lilith. Let’s go outside and take a look. We’re on the coast, and it being late fall, it could be nothing more than a fog rolling in.” Daniel took her hand, and led her outside.

A fog bank had indeed rolled in, but it was weak and wispy and didn’t obscure visibility hardly at all. But it was still cold out, so he began to take Lilith to his car.

She stopped him with a claw-like grip on his arm. “D-Daniel. L-Look.” Her shaking hand pointed at the lookout point on the other side of the road.

“Stay by the car. I’ll be right back,” he said, and moved off towards the street.

As he crossed the highway, he called upon one of his Justicar powers and summoned his sword from the trunk of his car. The blade was long and broad, and the hilt extended to accommodate a two-handed grip. It was plain, unadorned by any jewels or gilding, but shone with a cold light even through the fog.

He approached the lookout point cautiously, slowly, eyes constantly scanning for any threat. His eyes fell upon on of the viewers people used to watch the whale migrations, and he stopped.

The viewer was rimed with a thick layer of frost; icicles hung almost a full foot from it.

Daniel stared at the viewer as if it heralded the end of the world.

Lilith saw Daniel stop before the viewer, and watched in mounting fear as he stood and stared at it. She saw the fog swirl ten paces behind Daniel, saw the tall, black clad figure step out of the fog, sword in hand.

“Daniel! Behind you!”

Daniel was moving even before Lilith finished her warning. His blade came up into guard position just in time to block the downward strike of an ash-grey sword. His eyes met those of his attacker; fear and uncertainty began gnawing at his belly.

“Hello Daniel,” Mordred rasped.

Lilith stood shivering in fear by the car, unable to do anything but watch. Daniel was one of the best swordsmen among the Justicars, and she held onto the hope that his skill would serve him now.

“Hello Mordred,” Daniel replied, never taking his eyes from his opponent, his sword never wavering.

“I thought you would have run with your tail between your legs when you heard I was looking for you,” Mordred said. “This time, you will die.”

Mordred brought his sword around in a sweeping cut at Daniel’s head; his blade rang as Daniel first parried then riposted with a slash of his own. Mordred danced back out of harms way, viper-quick.

They stared at each other for a long moment, neither moving a muscle. Then they came together in a rush, blades singing through the air. Blade met blade in a ringing shower of sparks as the two adversaries fought, neither giving and inch of ground. Each was highly skilled with a blade; the slightest mistake could mean death.

Mordred, images of his defeat at Daniels hands still fresh in his mind, fought with a savage fury. His teeth were bared in a rictus of hatred, and his eyes burned with a hot flame; every swing of his blade cried out for his enemy’s blood. With every parried attack, his rage grew, until it seemed that he would be consumed by it.

This Justicar would not humiliate him again.

He pressed Daniel harder.

Daniel fought coldly, pushing his fear down until it no longer screamed at him. He never faltered, and smoothly parried every one of Mordred’s attacks. But his fear would not be silent, and screamed at him that Mordred was stronger, and tireless; it was only a matter of time until Mordred’s blade found its mark, and struck him down.

Daniel fought to ignore this. He would not give in to his fear.

He pressed Mordred harder.

Lilith watched, horrified, as Mordred finally caught Daniel’s blade in a bind, a sent it spinning off into the darkness. His boot caught Daniel flush on the jaw, and knocked him to the ground, where lay dazed.

Unthinking, she spun a silver dagger from the ether and charged into the battle.

“And so it ends, Justicar. This time, I win.” Mordred crowed. “This night, you will die by my hand!”
Daniel watched half-aware as Mordred swept his blade back for the killing blow…

Lilith caught Mordred off guard, and planted her dagger square between the shoulder blades. He stumbled away to the side, screaming in pain and anger. She moved quickly to Daniel’s side, trying to get him on his feet.

“Come on, Daniel, move! That won’t stop him for long, we’ve got to get out of here!” She pulled at Daniel’s arm, urging him to move faster.

Then she felt herself pulled to her feet by her hair, and turned to see Mordred’s burning eyes searing into her soul.

“Little girl, you should have run while you had the chance,” he said, smiling.

Lilith saw his arm sweep back, then surge forward. She felt herself flying through air, then felt searing pain as her body shattered the rear window of Daniel’s car.

All went dark, and she knew no more.

Mordred, laughing, moved toward Lilith’s still form, to finish the job.

Daniel watched transfixed as first Lilith attacked Mordred, and was hurled through the air like a rag doll. He saw her go through the rear window of his car; saw Mordred stalking toward her unmoving body, blade in hand, and his intentions clear.

Somewhere in Daniel’s mind, a dam burst, and he was filled with a hot rage. It burst forth even as he called his blade to his hand; and when it appeared, it blazed with silver fire.

“MORDRED!!!”

Mordred stopped and turned around slowly. Daniel could clearly see the disbelief on his face as the Ashan’gar’s gaze fell upon a Justicar’s wrath unleashed. He took one look at the silver fire burning in Daniel’s eyes, a fire to match his own, and he saw his own death.

Mordred fled.

Daniel sprinted after him, stopping only long enough to check on Lilith. She appeared to be gravely wounded, but even as he examined her, she came around.

“What are you waiting for? Don’t let him get away,” she said in a weak voice.

“I have to get you help first. Then I'll hunt him down,” he replied.

“Help is on the way. I’ve already spoken with my uncle, and he should be here anytime,” she said. She began to rise from the car, and when Daniel moved to stop her, she batted his hands away. “It looks worse than it is. I’m Magi, remember?”

She could see the hesitation on his face. “Go. And this time,” she added with a grin, “make sure you finish him.”

Daniel smiled in return, and then he was gone.

Mordred did not go far. He ran down a forest path behind the store, and did not stop until he entered a clearing 100 yards away. A stone chair stood in the center, covered in dirt and moss and worn with age. He spared it a fleeting glance, and then moved off into the trees.

Daniel arrived in the clearing moment later. He looked to the stone chair, approached it warily, and checked behind it. Nothing.

He stood next to the seat, looking around at the trees. He could see no sign of his quarry, yet he could feel his presence.

“Mordred! I can feel you, Ashan’gar! Come out and face me!”

Mordred, standing silent behind a large oak, heard Daniel’s challenge. His eyes smoldered with rage at having to flee once again from this Justicar.

In answer, he stepped from the trees, his blade at the ready.

“I am here, Justicar. It is time to end this!”

Daniel turned at the sound of Mordred’s voice. Calmly, he watched his enemy approach from the other side of the clearing, and come to a stop on the opposite side of the chair. Their eyes met, silver fire and red flame dancing.

“Yes,” Daniel agreed. “Let there be an end to this.”

They eyed each other, then stepped out from behind the chair.

Swords rose to the ready, and then flashed as the last battle began.

From the start, Daniel could feel a difference in the way he moved. In finding the strength to unleash the Justicar’s silver fire, he found the way to defeat Mordred. The Ashan’gar still move like a serpent, his blade flickering almost faster than the eye could see. But Daniel no longer found it difficult to keep up with Mordred’s blows; rather, he sensed that Mordred was having difficulty keeping up with him.

Mordred knew that he had lost. And this time, there would be no flight to safety. If he turned and fled now, the Justicar would have his sword in his back before he took two steps. Never had he faced an opponent who moved so fluidly! Daniel had somehow found a source of strength, of speed, of sheer will to prevail. Mordred had never seen it’s like.

The thought of imminent death brought a feeling of impotent rage to the Ashan’gar. So be it, he thought. If I must die, then he will die with me!

Back and forth the fight raged, and indeed Mordred found it increasingly difficult to keep up with Daniel’s flashing blade. Too many times, Mordred had to swing his blade into a parry at the last instant, with the result that he fully deflected the blow too few times, and took too many hits.

At last, Mordred could keep up with Daniel no longer, and the Justicar’s blade struck home. It plunged through his chest and emerged from his back. He raised his own blade for a killing blow, but found it too heavy to lift. He met Daniel’s eyes one last time, and then he was gone.

Daniel watched the light leave Mordred’s eyes, and knew the fight was over. He took a deep breath to calm down and clear his head. He stood staring at the Ashan’gar’s body for what seemed like an eternity, when Lilith and Nicodemus arrived. He looked first at Nicodemus, and then at Lilith, and then he smiled.

“It is finished,” he said. He willed his sword back into his car, just before Lilith slammed into him with a hug.

He held her shaking, weeping form, and looked up at Nicodemus, the Justicar who had trained him. “Well met, my lord,” he said in greeting.

Nicodemus smiled, and replied, “Well met, Justicar. And congratulations on a job well did. Well done indeed.” He regarded his niece; her storm of weeping now passed, he said, “Let’s go home.”

“Yes,” Daniel replied.

“Home.”

Ketjak

Malicious GM
mythago said:
OK, folks, I am out of town and have very funky limited Internet access. So: rounds one and two are going up NOW. Subsequent rounds to start early Saturday morning. I'd really like to start all three now, but the judges would kill me for dropping nine stories on 'em at once. Mind you, it's no better than they deserve. ;)

All stories are due 72 hours from posting timestamp.

And please--no dropping out once you are in a round. If you find out BEFORE you are assigned that you just got an invitation to the White House, or need emergency surgery, that's OK. But just having writer's block and bowing out once your pics are up is Not Acceptable.

Round One contestants
reveal vs. Funeris vs. Macbeth

Round Two contestants
SteelDraco vs. tadk vs. Aris Dragonborn

I eagerly await my assignment... and I'm still hoping it gets posted no sooner than Sunday night. :)

Funeris

First Post
Funeris' Entry: Checkmate

ROUND ONE

Funeris vs. reveal vs. Macbeth

Anyone who reads my story hours knows that I use italics to show internal thought...I did the same here, although it should be obvious. And...yeah, its nearly 3,000 words or so.

Checkmate

Out of a leather pocket, I pulled the worn white and green box. The cheap cardboard snapped open revealing the always precious devil sticks. Grasping one, I shoved the package back into its pocket.

Eric’s Grandma had always told me to quit because it made me a bad role model. The thought was quick and vanished barely after it registered. My choice wasn’t difficult; never was anymore. The cigarette rested on my lips as the small fire scorched the tip, releasing the putrid scent and the light, menthol flavoring. Let the kids find another role model.

Above, the darkening sky’s miserable, overcast clouds spit angrily at the cracked and parched earth. The moisture coalesced after splattering upon the black trench coat then streaked down the sides and back, nothing more than clear, quick worms of motion.

Glancing down, a brief count showed a minimum of fifteen snubbed butts. I reached for the cell, taking another long drag. With a click, the display flashed 8:49 pm in the pure, neon blue hue and I smirked. Two hours of waiting now, D-man. Where are you?

The reverie ended with the soft click of a basement door closing. D-man hobbled up the steps and into the waiting rain. His hair, black and edged white, dulled the beady but observant eyes. He had thrown a rain-proof poncho over his clothes. Now his head took the brunt of the drizzle.

D-man’s eyes caught mine so I slid closer through the soggy grass of his rear yard.

“I see you got through the gate alright.” He smiled warmly, his eyes burrowing greedily into the Marbox in my mouth.

“No lock could ever keep me. Grandfather was a locksmith, you know. Your woman around?”

“Nah. She went out with her friends. Typical Wednesday night, ya know?”

“You want one?” Before the question was out of my mouth, the near-empty pack of Marboxes was open and staring the man down.

He shrugged as a large grin across his face. “You know me.” He slid one out and waited for a light. “How long you been here?”

“Nearly two hours now, D. You get lost in your basement?” Another cigarette from a new pack danced magically through my fingers and up to my lips. Another one down, that’s seven minutes less of bad luck I’ll have. The lighter clicked, sparking cautiously in the drizzle.

“I forgot you were coming over.”

“You called me two hours ago, D. Don’t give me that BS.”

“You caught me, Ronaldo. I was playing chess again. I’m an addict you know.” That calming grin spread across his face again.

Must be business and not pleasure, I thought. “Hear from Yeti, recently?”

“Nah, Cthulhu ate him.”

“I’m sorry, what did you say?” My smoking devil stick fell into a puddle, drowning.

“Huh. Oh, I said Cthulhu ate him. You know that computer virus programmed by that RPGer. It crashed Yeti’s computer.”

“Oh. I was wondering what was up. So, enough small talk, what’s the job?”

“Right. You ever been to West Virginia; Charles Town I think, half an hour from here?”

“Yeah. I used to live there, remember?”

“Oh yeah. I forgot that.” For a moment, D appeared to smirk. “Anyway, a girl spontaneously combusted in the high school today. I want you to check it out.”

“You know I don’t do paranormal.”

“We don’t think this is paranormal, per se. We think its just some cultist activity. Wanna check it out?”

“I can probably handle it. Which cult?”

“The Cult of Sebek.”

“Wasn’t he. . .”

“The Egyptian god with a crocodile head, yeah. Could I have another?” I handed the Marbox over, allowing him to light it and take a drag before continuing. “Anyway, the councilors came across some papers in her backpack about the god Sebek and something about a nearby quarry. I thought you’d like the job.”

“Yeah, I’ll take it. I can start in the morning.”

“Good enough for me.” D pulled some paperwork from under the poncho and I transferred it to the leather coat. “Do yourself a favor, Ronaldo. Don’t wear the coat. Try to be inconspicuous this time.”

“Will do.”

“Good. And here, you might need this.” A black, unmarked nine millimeter Beretta appeared in his non-smoking hand.

“Just a possible cult investigation, right?”

“May as well be safe.” He slapped the gun into my hand and disappeared down the stairs, back into his basement.

---o---o---

Morning of the eighteenth, back in my old high school. Joy, joy. The yellowed hallways of the poor, white-trash, river-rat, hillbilly school had not changed much in the last decade. Outside, trailers for the ever increasing population of the county housed additional classrooms. The county was in a boom; real-estate continued to claw farther and farther away from Washington D.C., bringing with it upper middle class families. Families that with their very presence pushed the lower class population, the ‘natives’ farther from their homes. Families pushed farmland and native population farther and farther from their origins replacing it with their cloned housing, different only by the type of façade smacked on their faces. And yet, the high school remained yellow and overcrowded. That’s progress.

Walking down the hallways, I lit the first cigarette of my second pack. Students quickly ducked out of my way, staring gape-mouthed at my open disregard of the law. Well, it was that or the nine I wore openly. Ditching the trench coat, I had donned a ribbed turtleneck sweater, black as my mood. The combination of the shirt, the dark, loose blue jeans, and the black, military-issued, fleece hat probably gave me the appearance of a mercenary for hire. That’s right. I rolled a natural twenty on my Intimidation check this morning, I thought. My smirk just caused the seas to part faster.

I pivoted sharply and into the principal’s office. I moved past the assembled line of do-gooders, boot-lickers, and troublemakers without as much as a complaint. The principal glared angrily at my cigarette, which I snubbed happily on her desk.

“Look, I’ll be brief about this. I need to know about Ms. Jackson’s spontaneous combustion yesterday. I want to review her file. And I need a list of her closest friends and where they’ll be in an hour or so.”

“And you are?”

“I’m a private investigator. I work for a private client. The sooner you get me the info, the sooner I’ll be out of your hair.” I took a moment to light another death stick, before grinning charismatically.

The principal reached for an unmarked manila folder on her desk, never removing her cautious eyes from my face. She pushed it toward me. I snatched the folder and moved quickly back to my car to review the file.

---o---o---

“Ms. Divico?” I stared hesitantly at the young brunette that sat in one of the plain, blue metal desks. In front of her desk, a large sign read ‘The Prez’. Another sign was taped to her gray shirt; again reading ‘Prez’. “Uh, Ms. Divico I’d like to ask you a few questions about your friend, Ms. Andrea Jackson. If you could step outside for a moment. . .”

“No.”

“I’m sorry?”

“No, I’ll stay right here. Anything you ask me I can answer right here, in front of my friends.” Her eyes, a faint blue, seemed glossed over, the pupils dilated. Her hands twitched nervously, drumming slightly upon the metal desk.

“Very well, Ms. Divico.” Scooting an empty desk around to face her, I sat down. “You and Ms. Jackson were friends?”

“You could say that. We grew up together. We went to school together. We still hung out on occasion.”

“You don’t seem very saddened by her death.”

“As I said, on occasion.”

“So you wouldn’t know if she were involved in any. . .cult activities?”

The Prez shuddered and stammered before spitting out the lie of a response. “No. . .”

“And you’ve never heard of the Cult of Sebek?” Releasing a putrid cloud of smoke, I grinned. Another piece of the puzzle just fell into place.

“I. . .” she stammered, but was easily silenced by the wave of my hand.

“Why are you wearing a necklace with the god Sebek on it?” Her eyes completely dilated, her teeth grinding. “You know; that little gold necklace around your precious and innocent neck. The one with a crocodile-headed man dangling preciously above your. . . ‘Prez’ sign.”

Her teeth still grinding, something snapped. The pop was loud and nearly deafening. I instinctively dropped to the floor, pulling the nine from its resting spot. But the girl shuddered again, spitting an arc of blood into the air. Half a molar hit the floor.

The proverbial dung hit the ceiling.

Her shirt expanded outward, her flesh following quickly after. Within seconds, her eyes bulged from their sockets. Her arms twisted unnaturally backward in a mock Exorcist pose before her body exploded. Ms. Divico’s remains, what little was left anyway, smoldered harmlessly on the floor.

I pulled myself off the floor, wiping the muck from my face as calmly as possible. “Well, that was entertaining,” I said to the horror-stricken class. With a deft swipe, I grabbed “The Prez’s” bag and the Sebek necklace. Then I returned to the safety of my car.

---o---o---

“Well D, I’ve been to the high school. Are you there?” White noise hissed over the cell connection.

“Yeah. . .m. . .here. Where. . .?”

“Look, I’m parked at the quarry. There is definitely something going on here. Both girls were excellent students. Both spontaneously combusted, if it can be called that, for some reason. I think they were connected to this possible cult. Evidence points that way.” Static looped eternally through the earpiece.

A crackle and then the words “Quarry…safe” and a final, hollow click. The phone went dead. Drawing the nine, I threw the worthless cell in the glove compartment. Then, I made my way into the quarry.

The piles of gravel, clay and sand were stacked carelessly high. Traversing the loose earth was like walking into a carefully plotted death trap; one that allowed no saves. Carefully, I stepped sideways down the mountainous face, walking normally only when absolutely necessary. Below, an ancient blue machine sat idle. Because of distance, my imperfect eyes couldn’t make out specific detail but it looked like a machine that shifted through the earth.

The important detail was the small shack beside the machine. It housed rotted wood and broken windows, made clear when my descent was complete. I stalked up to the house, peering through the windows. Unfortunately, somebody had covered the inside sill with aluminum foil perfectly obscuring the view. From inside, a clanking sound issued. Glancing at the chimney confirmed the detail. Fresh smoke billowed from the stone tunnel. Somebody was home.

Using a trusty serpentine movement, I darted to the door, pausing beside it. The metal-on-metal sounds grew louder, nearing the door. With a thrust of my foot, the door shattered inward. A dull wet thud resounded and I ducked in gun blazing.

Three then four shots at the body I had slammed with the door. Then five. Then six. I stopped squeezing the trigger and tried to make sense of the scene. Crumpled impotently on the floor was a man, naked from the waste up. Blood dripped from a single gunshot wound in its chest. His head was. . .unnatural. It was a crocodile’s face complete with spidery veins and the vertically slit pupils surrounded by red. One eye rolled limply backward into the reptilian skull, the other lolled sickly back and forth in its socket.

A soft hissing poured from the wound, lost air. From within the crocodile head, a soft murmuring sounded. Careful to keep my gun on the man-beast, I crouched and moved closer to its twisted face.

Closer inspection revealed rough, ragged edges along the reptilian neck scales. Sliding the nails of one hand underneath the scales, I ripped the mask off.

“Cthulhu Fhtagn. . .” the discovered man hissed.

“What?! Mike! What are you doing?! Why?” I clutched at my skull, a sudden migraine engorging the veins in my skull. Stumbling backward, I noted the corpse of a dead teenager strapped to the wall. He had been gutted, one of the blades still embedded in his open abdomen.

“Cthulhu Fhtagn,” Mike whispered again, his eyes wide, crazed and dull.

“Cthulhu?” But before the once gamer-friend could respond, his eyes glazed over, lifeless. I stood and moved back, hands shaking, gun quivering.

Beside the dead teen sat a old, three legged stool. Upon the stool rested a brass censer. Smoke billowed around the object, lazily dancing and spiraling out of control. The faint, white clouds twisted and turned and were absorbed by the metal object. Following the trails with my eyes, they ended roughly at the teen’s open abdomen. What in the infinite layers of the abyss?

Mike’s body jolted upward, his eyes wide again. As I watched with disgust, smoke poured from the bullet-hole I had inflicted. The smoke was faint, white and spiraling. It snaked upward and toward the brass censer. Before my eyes, the metal devoured the smoke, the soul of my now departed once gamer friend.

Clapping broke the unfathomable scene. Turning wearily, D-man walked through the open doorway. His hands beat together while his lips parted in a maniacal smile. He casually pulled out a Beretta and aimed it at me.

“Well Ronaldo, stand up.” I did as he said.

“What? Why?”

“Cthulhu.” He smiled again when I smirked. “You see, that censer is a key of sorts, my dear boy. The city of R’lyeh is due to rise again soon. To unleash Cthulhu upon the world, the key must be present for the re-emergence of the ancient city. But,” he raised a finger, “here’s the kicker. You see, the key can’t be used, unless it has been filled with souls. Thanks to you the final four souls have been devoured. The ritual is now complete. The key can be used and Cthulhu can be released from his deathless prison.”

“Destan, why?”

“So many questions, Ronaldo.”

“And what do you mean the final four souls?”

“Let’s break this down for you. Ms. Divico was the last soul number one. That teenager behind you was soul number two. Mike was soul number three, and you make the fourth. As to the why, I’m tired, very, very tired. I’m ready for this world to end. I’m ready for an age where I can break away from the penname ‘Destan’. I’m ready to be a ruler.”

“You’re insane. Wait,” everything finally clicking, “Yeti?? Bill!?” I raised my own Beretta, finger on the trigger.

“Cthulhu ate him. And if you want to get personal. . .maybe I was tired of you constantly switching characters during my game, Ronaldo. Maybe, you should’ve let me kill you once or twice. Would that have been too much to ask, really!?!? I was kicked out of the RBDM club because I couldn’t kill you. Couldn’t KILL YOU!” D-man paused to wipe the spittle from his lips “But I can now.

“And then, you constantly beat me at chess, adding insult to injury. Would it have been too much to show a little damn mercy? Instead you took every one of my pieces, every time; ruthlessly slaughtering me. I didn’t even win when I liquored you up!” D-man wiped the spittle from his lips. “But I’ll win this time. The pieces are on the board, set, and it’s a forced mate in one.”

“Do I get one last request?”

“What?”

“A cigarette, of course.”

“Go ahead but slowly, Ronaldo. Why don’t you lower that gun, while you’re at it?”

Last one in this pack of Marboxes; that’s a bad omen. The cigarette lit quick and smooth, burning all the way down. The gun rested, aimed toward the floor while I puffed away, searching for a way out. Lightning fast, I jerked the nine upward and depressed the trigger. . .one, two, three squeezes. Three bursts of deafening sound followed. Destan only smiled.

“I had one real bullet in the magazine, Ronaldo. The rest were just blanks. Checkmate.” His gun exploded; a flash of light and sound. The world faded to black.

Remove ads