• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

CB's Shackled City: Zenith Trajectory

And if circumstances dictate that getting the thing to authorities is impossible such as you are in a dungeon trying to go deeper or speed is of the essence and a prisoner will slow us down too much? Or say the authorities are of qustionable righteousness and you have reason to believe they will kill the prisoner as soon as your back is turned?

Bollaron's last questions resonate because, as Meenah is well aware, Cauldron has been rife with rumors of late that the Guard is corrupt. Meenah herself has seen many a half-orc garbed in the accoutrement of the City Guard of late, a sight formerly rare.

Mellubb

First Post
Aaron looks at Meenah sensing a bit of bewilderment. and says “I't's o.k.” he smiles “The answers aren't always easy.” He turns his eyes easily to the others and gently nods his head to let them know he thinks she is of good heart. Then he looks back down and says “Sometimes things come up unexpectedly. Sometimes there is no easy answer. And sometimes the answer may be in of your mind, but not your of your power to fulfill. Remember, if you go down there with us you will not face the enemy alone. I know we are putting you through a lot, be patient. Think of the situation from all angles then let the answer come to you.”

(Note: Aaron is intentionally long-winded hoping to get thoughts from Meenah.)

Li Shenron

Legend
[sblock=Aaron]Would I really deliver someone to the authorities if such authorities are themselves questionable? What if this someone is wrongly accused of something, can the law system be trusted about its willingness to pursue the truth? Isn't law enforcement sometimes in some places used more as a mean to deliver a scapegoat to the public opinion?[/sblock]

I am not so sure... There are so many different circumstances to think about. I've seen towns where the official law itself was just a mean for the local lords to exercise their power over the people, and law didn't equal to justice. Even about Cauldron I have some doubts, I've seen a few guards with a strange look of delight on their faces, when they were only arresting kids guilty of shoplifting.

[sblock=Aaron]Meenah shivers as she pictures what those guards could have done to their prisoners. Holy Galarn... an evil corrupted law is even worse than crime itself. At least you can't expect any good from criminals, but how can you live where you can't even trust those who are there to protect you?[/sblock]

Of course it depends also on who's the prisoner we're letting go... a small fish that has learned his lesson hopefully is not going to cause harm, and if we're in pursuit of a much more dangerous foe, the consequences of letting the big fish go can be much worse for everyone.

The priest at the side table gets up in a huff and throws his cloth napkin down on top of his plate of half-finished food. "A travesty! Mind your tongue a might better next time you're in my presence!" The priest marches straight out the door with a glare at the astonished and embarrassed merchant.

Jax throws his polishing cloth over a shoulder and comes over to where Nyla, Bollaron, Aaron, and Meenah sit. "Now, meanin' no ill will mind you, but you lot wouldn't be messin' aboot with magics in me taproom, now would you? I've done lost one payin' customer an' them lot over there at the bar're having a goodly bit of fun with one of their own who can't seem to hold his tongue as well as normal. I've welcomed you here in the past, an' look forward to welcomin' you here again, but not at the expense of losing custom. Mayhap you'd like a private room, away from me taproom, where you could speak? 'Sides, what with the Magical Threats Agency runnin' aboot loose like a goose, you'd mebbe be best castin' yer magics outta the public eye. Last thing I want in here's a knot of gnomes askin' questions aboot me custom."

The public billets have decried that in response to public outcry over recent events in Cauldron, the Lord Mayor has created a special section within the city Guard called the Magical Threats Agency. Aaron, Bollaron, and Nyla have some experience with the MTA; the four gnomes who cordoned off the dead umber hulk on Magma Avenue were from said agency. Very officious and above-board, those gnomes were. Meenah has seen small knots of gnomes and halflings marching through the streets on "patrol." Most of the populace snickers behind the MTA's back.

Eydis

First Post
Nyla having made up her mind already, takes 10 gp out and hands them to Jax, and says "Well I think that we are done here Jax, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience and I hope that we are still welcome here and we will be sure to make no problems for you."
Turning from Jax, Nyla looks at both Aaron and Bollaron and says "Meenah has answered truthfully and is of good heart, you can make your decisions now or take some time to think about it. Meenah, if you would like to join me I will show you a little bit around and perhaps a little more about you as we walk." With that, Nyla stands to leave, but hesitates a moment to see if Aaron or Bollaron would like to say anything.

Jax eyes the ten gold crowns wistfully but leaves them lying on the table. "Nay, Lady. And you're all welcome anytime. I'd hate to loose your custom, you've all been a boon to the Tankard on many an occasion. I thank you for understandin'." Jax nods at Meenah in greeting. "Jax Gorgoran, owner-tender. You're new here, but if this be the company you're keepin' then you're good in my book."

Mellubb

First Post
"I have made up my mind as well. I can't yet predict the future, but I say we would be lucky to have you accompany us along the way. Just remember we are friends. We help each other because we want to not because we have too.” Aaron drops the spell. “I think all we have now is to figure out our next move. Nyla I think we need to first find out if she is still interested and then tell her what now know about the going in in town. Best we do that in the shop. You can have your girls night out some other time. If she has been seen with us her life may be in danger. She needs to know who may be after her. As for that “MTA” I wish they would say something to me. Magic threats my hmm...”

Meenah seems as likely a candidate as we will find so If we are takin on another it might as well be her I suppose. But know this Meenah and the others can attest to the validity of it....when a foe has lost its ability to fight and is not a threat we will not harm it in any way even if that means letting it go although without its weapons normally, I am not suicidal. If someone decides to try to harm the creature, I will take WHATEVER steps necessary to protect it. Let's go. Bollaron snaps his fingers and Edgar snaps to attention ready to go. He pets Poe the Weasel and sets him on Edgars back and heads to the door.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads