• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fall Ceramic Dm™ - Winner!

Tolen Mar

First Post
Interesting you should mention that...Ive been thinking of doing a story hour for our iron Heroes game.

In fact, there might be 2 camps turned into fiction.

maxfieldjadenfox

First Post
Well, I'm always working on something, but the only published work I've done has been in the form of books for the kiddies, so the grown up stuff is unfamiliar territory... A story hour might be fun. (just what I need, another "hobby" to keep me away from my "real work")

Funeris

First Post
Well, I've already been disqualified...but heh...if anyone enjoyed my writing I have a couple story hours. The Blade of Phoee is updated pretty regularly...just about every day when I'm not suffering from writer's block...The Heroes of Marchford is one that I get around to updating on occasion...and Valus +20 is actually Yeti's story hour...but I drop in to coauthor some days as well.

::Returns to sobbing in the corner alone, naked and broken::

:D

~Fune

Funeris

First Post
And P.S. - If you don't want to read a grim mature (well as mature as I can make it for EnWorld) story (read as: you are easily offended) then enter at your own risk...there are disclaimers all over the thread....

PDFs of the first two chapters can be found on page 6 (Blade of Phoee).

::Truly returns to the corner to bawl::

;)

~Fune

Sorry for my tardiness, folks. I knew work was going to suck through the end of the month. I had to resort to printing the stories and trying to read them on Metro. Match 2 judgement sent, the rest will be in tomorrow. I hate to be slow, but I'd hate more to not give these the attention they deserve.

I'm off double-duty as of Friday, though, so subsequent rounds I should be much more punctual.

tadk

Explorer
OT about Story Hours

While I am waiting for the Judgement
Are Story Hours strictly fm peoples games or serial fiction...

Sialia

First Post
Bored with waiting for judges now.

How about we revive the ancient pastime of commenting on each others stories?

I liked both of my competitors stories.

My initial strategy consisted of hoping RangerWickett would invent such a beautifully intricate tale that he would never complete it in time and be forced to skip or summarize his ending, thus leaving me with only one foe to worry about.

Sadly this Mexican standoff strategy failed utterly because the son of a birch managed to fit the entire eloquent and complex thought into the allotted space and time.

And while I am standing dumbfounded with jealousy by its beauty, Yangnome went and shot me in the back.

Which is not to say I count myself out of the running for this match yet, but that I was initially extremely pleased to be stuck in an agony of not knowing how the judging will go. I love a close match and worthy competition.

Initially, I say, because the ache is getting numb at this point. Can't . . . hold . . on .. much . . longer . . .

Sialia

First Post
Also, Macbeth--that was "worry" in the good sense. In the event I am judged worthy to face you in a later round, I'm worried.

What I most like in a story, apart from good characters and clever dialogue and a plot that respects the intelligence of the audience, is that it should add up to soemthing. It should be about something--not just about what happened, but why I should care about what has happened in the story. The sort of a something that is true--the whole story can be fluff and fantasy, but if what it is about it true, then it moves to a higher level. You got there.

I had trouble getting to the fantasy part this round--I've been so grounded in reality lately (Katrina has taken me past the bounds of all fictional horror, steampunk, cyberpunk, government conspiracy, crime, science fiction, historical fantasy--reality sometimes makes fiction seem really shabby) -- it's been hard to get loose to the level where metaphors turn into funhouse mirrors to see ourselves differently in, or even to where illusions become safe havens from stress. Or to where humor takes the edge off of pain.

RangerWickett didn't have any trouble doing it all, of course. Thank goodness, one way or another, I won't have to face him again this season.

maxfieldjadenfox

First Post
tadk said:
While I am waiting for the Judgement
Are Story Hours strictly fm peoples games or serial fiction...

That's a good question, and I never saw an answer... BardStephenFox and I have done a couple of fun tag team stories for our D&D game, is it that kind of stuff, or anything you want to write and post? Inquiring minds want to know.

Remove ads