Heroes: (Volume Three: Villains) The Second Coming--Season Premiere

I stayed quiet after the first mention but thought I"d step in on the second. Everytime someone says the ole 10 percent argument there's always one person who steps with the old biological answer.

Actually it is not as much a myth as much as it is a misunderstanding about what is meant. Physically we use most of our brain about 90 percent. But theoretically we only use a small capability of what is believed can be done when factoring in evolution.
Huh? What do you mean? How do we factor in evolution? What are you talking about?

Vocenoctum

First Post
Huh? What do you mean? How do we factor in evolution? What are you talking about?

The biological "you only use 10% of your brain" is an error, but I think he meant "we only use 10% of the potential of what our brain could do", which is just arbitrary and there's no way to substantiate or quantify.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I don't know if they need to thin the herd, so much as not feel the need to show everybody in all episodes.

Right now, Matt Parkman is a good example. We don't need to get his side-trek in every episode. Let him be unseen for a couple of episodes, and then go back and watch what he's doing in another episode that's mostly about him.

DonTadow

First Post
The biological "you only use 10% of your brain" is an error, but I think he meant "we only use 10% of the potential of what our brain could do", which is just arbitrary and there's no way to substantiate or quantify.

Yeah what he said. When people say 10% or (I believe it originated in the 1930s) people mean the potential. In theory, we only use 10% of its capability. It is quite obvious that, because evolution teaches us that we learn new abilities as life goes on, there is a lot of potential uses for the brain we have yet to tap.

So the next time you hear people say we only use 10% of our brain, know It does not mean biological physical size.

Krug

Newshound
Scenes from next episode - warning: spoilers -

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZnnR-xjrC0]YouTube - Heroes Season 3 - 3x03 One of Us One of Them 4 Sneak Peaks[/ame]

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
In theory, we only use 10% of its capability.

Who's theory? In order to say that, you must have somehow measured the total potential. Who claims to have ever measured the total potential of the human brain?

It is quite obvious that, because evolution teaches us that we learn new abilities as life goes on, there is a lot of potential uses for the brain we have yet to tap.

Um, I'm sorry, but I don't get what you're saying. Evolution does not teach us that we learn new abilities as life goes on. Many species go forward without any capability to learn whatsoever. There is no particular reason to think that as we go forward in time, our ability to do things with our brains must grow.

Remove ads