• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4e Heroic Souls (FULL/CLOSED - accepting alts)

Graf

Explorer
Wizard is not taken, and there are no controllers...
[edit= kind of a duh statement, since wizards are the only controller class available now]

Still cogitating a bit about the next round of posts. Should have something up soon.

For VV (and any other interested people) I think we'll just have them join the main group in the feywild and "fill in" backstory later.

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
Appearance: Quinn is a middle age man, with quite long beard, and strains of with hairs in his black haired head. He wears a yellow and grey robe, simple and resilient. His eyes are black and his teeth not as with as he would like.
Background Quinn had an unstoppable hunger for knowledge, when he was a kid, always looking for something new to learn, someplace new to go, until he found the strange boundaries of the town. All his wishes of explorations where hindered by this invisible wall, that stopped the kid from venturing further. “There must be an explanation!” he thought, and started a frenetic search for it. Many years he spent reading the old texts, familiarizing with the arcane lore contained in some of them.
As a clever young man, he continued the search for an explanation, reading and reading, going to the edge of the town, analyzing what he can, making experiments with some cantrips he could get to work, from those old tomes. But nothing seemed to work. Caught by the feeling of defeat, Quinn lock his arcane knowledge in a vault at his home, and became introverted, not very sociable. He didn’t form a family, and his neibours didn’t like him so much, but Quinn was one of the few who could read the ancient texts, and one of the only persons in the town with much of the knowledge contained in them. So went his life, as advisor, scribe, and such professions. But the years passed away, and one day, he heard about a group of people trying to escape the town, trying to free themselves. His long lost hunger of knowledge awoke again. He was eager to join these people, he wanted to know.

Your Family/Neighbors Just a few nighvours, an old women and a family, that doesen’t pay much attention to the old Quinn.
How do you spend your days (when you're dazed)Reading, earning some money as scribe and other minor tasks related with books and knowledge.
Relationship
Quinns tends to feel more intelligent and superior in that way.
Some things you're good at: Fast reader, he catch the basic idea from a text with awesome speed.
Hooks: Don’t really understand what this means.

Childhood experiences: Above explained, excepting the pebble. Quinn conserved it, and made a necklace out of it, it still hangs from his neck.

Quinn, Human wizard
Str 10
Dex 14
Con 14
Int 18 (+2 from race choice)
Wis 14
Cha 9

HP: 24
Healing surges/day: 8

AC: 14 (15 with staff)
For:14
Ref:14
Will:16

Init:+2 Senses: perception:12
Speed:6
Languages: Common, elven, ?
Alignment: Unaligned

Deity: Ioun
Class features:
Arcane implements Mastery (staff), Cantrips, Ritual casting, Spellbook.

Skills (*trained)
Acrobatics
Arcana* +9
Athletics +2
Bluff -1
Diplomacy -1
Dungeoneering* +7
Endurance +2
Heal +2
History* +9
Insight* +7
Intimidate -1
Nature* +7
Perception +2
Religion +4
Stealth +2
Streetwise -1
Thievery +2

Feats (2): Improved initiative, expanded spellbook.

Basic attack: quarterstaff +2 1d8 dmg

Powers (3/1/2/0)
Cantrips: ghost sound, light, mage hand, and prestidigitatio
At-will powers: Magic Missile, Thunderwave, Ray of frost.
Encounter Powers: Force Orb
Daily Powers: Sleep, flaming sphere

Equipment:
Quarterstaff
Long grey and yellow robe
Spellbook

Graf

Explorer
Voda Vosa said:
... reading and reading, ...
As mentioned in the FAQ...
For most of your life (until the game begins) everyone is -completely illiterate-.
Doesn't matter how smart you are, or anything else.
You can't read, you may be facincated with books and go over them over and over again trying to figure out what they mean, but you can't read.

Likewise
VV said:
Many years he spent reading the old texts, familiarizing with the arcane lore contained in some of them.
...one of the few who could read the ancient texts, and one of the only persons in the town with much of the knowledge contained in them...
There are no texts with "arcane lore" lying around really. I'll work out a little bit of something as a nod to the idea, but all your arcane knowledge, etc comes from the heroic soul's incarnation within you.

VV said:
How do you spend your days (when you're dazed)Reading, earning some money as scribe and other minor tasks related with books and knowledge.
I'd like to suggest this possibility
[sblock=Quinn's dazed activities]Quinn works at the growers dome, but he's not particularly good at it.

Instead he often finds himself wandering the corridors and starting at the strange twisting writings that line the walls.

Sometimes he'll spend hours standing in front of the great doors. They are strange doors, with no handle or keyhole and seams so tight that even a single hair can't pass through them. And they are covered with runes that glow when touched.
(there are several doors like this within the complex and the nearby tower)

Children sometimes like to come to the doors and play, if you touch the runes for long enough something happens (usually you get shocked, but occasionally something else happens, like your nose turns a different color for a minute, or a little butterfly appears).

Quinn was very very good at this as a child, famous because, no matter how much he touched the door he never seemed to get shocked.
He could even remember the patterns to certain combinations (some prestidigitation effects).
But he could never get the doors open either and, as he grew to adulthood and fell under the daze, he found that it was too difficult to remember the patterns.

So he could only come to the door to stare.
[/sblock]

Voda Vosa said:
Some things you're good at: Fast reader, he catch the basic idea from a text with awesome speed.
This is a fine ability to have, once you've become first level (which will happen fairly quickly) you'll be able to read normally.
(Your heroic soul imparts upon you the ability to read)

Voda Vosa said:
Hooks: Don’t really understand what this means.
These are story hooks.
Don't worry about it.

Voda Vosa said:
Childhood experiences: Above explained, excepting the pebble. Quinn conserved it, and made a necklace out of it, it still hangs from his neck.
Hmm. Nobody wants to give the Geeche anything...
OK. I can work with this too.
We may gloss over this to start, I don't want to focus too much on one character right now.

Voda Vosa said:
Deity: Ioun
As mentioned in the faq the gods have disappeared.
Even their names have been are forgotten.

Most people (everyone of the townsfolk who isn't a PC ) don't remember they ever existed, or what the importance of the church is.
However you're Heroic Soul could have often devoted itself to the service of a god of learning and magic that you no longer remember.

So you remember you used to worship serve 'something' but not what it was.

in a post to about Heian (the paladin PC) I said
me said:
So when Heian touches divinity (or the good side of it anyway) he's reaching out to something that's almost new-born. It's a powerful force (relative to an individual), but weak and unformed (in the cosmic sense).
Depending upon the choices your characters make the gods may return (I have no idea what that would mean, it's just a possibility) or something new could fill it's place.

You need to get two more spells for expanded spellbook (so you'll have 4 dailies instead of 2 to choose from; you only get to cast one a day of course).
Otherwise things look good. (I haven't checked every plus, but I think you're definitely in a playable state.)

I think I'm going put a mini post about how you got your spellbook up soon (those sorts of things are absurdly rare in the current world, but a PC wizard dropped recently and so I have a ready made spellbook you'll acquire that was meant for him).
Need coffee first.

Graf

Explorer
Ok. You're probably right, I haven't looked at the feat in a while.

PS, VV, don't worry about knowing/not knowing the faq. It hasn't been touched in months and I'm not holding people to know about it.

The setting is a bit tougher on wizardly characters than others (i.e. it's possible to do core things for other classes like "basic fighting" or "basic hunting" but wizards are kinda "blocked" -- the other wizard PC was a sort of handyman).

Graf

Explorer
Quinn's first post is up. More coming.

Again, sorry about the railroading and random NPCs. I'd like to keep the momentum going. You'll be free and clear and able to do whatever you like very soon now.

Everyone else's posts are coming up soon.

Graf

Explorer
The painfully long "plot post" is up now. (Some unfortunate font color choices make it look like it's about Christmas... but no help for that I suppose).

This is the last "railroady plot post" you'll have to deal with.

On the plus side you now know, or have hints about, a -lot- of things that were secret in the old game.

Walking Dad

First Post
Graf said:
The painfully long "plot post" is up now. (Some unfortunate font color choices make it look like it's about Christmas... but no help for that I suppose).

This is the last "railroady plot post" you'll have to deal with.

On the plus side you now know, or have hints about, a -lot- of things that were secret in the old game.
Hey, still room for one more player, or just forgot to change the title?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads