• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5E classes that discourage "dipping"

Iain_Coleman

Explorer
Bad Dips
Wizard
Druid
Bard
Ranger
Paladin
Monk

Now this isn't to say there aren't multiclass combinations that work even with the bad classes, but there's generally very little reason to dip into any of the above classes I've labeled as Bad Dips.

I don't know, a two level dip into Divination Wizard to get portent can be awfully tempting, and three levels in Lore Bard can do a lot for a Charisma based caster.

Dausuul

Legend
Another way to put this might be, "Which capstone abilities are so desirable that they deter you from dipping into another class?"
If by "capstone" you mean "what you get at 20," the answer is "none." No capstone ability is worth squat to me. If I could change my class so it only had 19 levels--upon reaching 20, you get nothing, not even hit points--but got an extra level of armor proficiency in exchange, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

What does discourage dipping is not the prospect of what I sacrifice at a level I will never reach, but what I sacrifice in the next few levels. (I seldom have enough certainty about when a campaign will end to settle on a "virtual capstone.") Since I almost always play spellcasters, this mostly means access to higher-level spells.

Last edited:

merwins

Explorer
If by "capstone" you mean "what you get at 20," the answer is "none."

As I understand it, that's what capstone means in the D&D context. The unavoidable consequence of dipping means you lose capstone abilities. When you dip/multiclass, you'll NEVER reach level 20 in any class unless your GM allows 20+ level characters.

I tend to play in long-term games, and in games where rapid character advancement is a possibility (due to the way the game world is constructed). So Level 20 is a very real possibility. Many times games do fizzle out before my character reaches 9th level, so I see that as well.

Valmarius

First Post
I think there's is a really interesting point that's coming out of this discussion.
As someone plays their PC each new level is compared against the possible dip and it sounds like most people are choosing not to dip.

On the other hand, in games where the PCs start at a higher level I think there tend to be more multiclassed characters. Possibly because the 'build' doesn't have to be worked towards and the player doesn't have to persevere through some of the less powerful levels.

Dausuul

Legend
I think there's is a really interesting point that's coming out of this discussion.
As someone plays their PC each new level is compared against the possible dip and it sounds like most people are choosing not to dip.

On the other hand, in games where the PCs start at a higher level I think there tend to be more multiclassed characters. Possibly because the 'build' doesn't have to be worked towards and the player doesn't have to persevere through some of the less powerful levels.

Another thing to consider is that many dips need to be taken at level 1 to get the benefit of key proficiencies.

Ashabel

First Post
The question of dipping isn't what you can do at level 20, but what you can do at level 7.
Not at all. The question is what capstones are stopping one from dipping. Some of the capstones are early (at 18) and for me if druid was one of those, I would have dipped at level 2 no second thoughts.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I don't know, a two level dip into Divination Wizard to get portent can be awfully tempting, and three levels in Lore Bard can do a lot for a Charisma based caster.

Those are probably the worse multiclass dip ideas I've heard of. The wizards portent ability is not strong enough to stand on it's own. Being 3 levels behind on spells is a big dropoff for most casters...

I'd have to say I totally disagree with your analysis.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Not at all. The question is what capstones are stopping one from dipping. Some of the capstones are early (at 18) and for me if druid was one of those, I would have dipped at level 2 no second thoughts.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

What you are worried about isn't the deciding factor for many people. For example if I can make my character better levels 6-17 and lose out on a few things at 18 to 20 then sign me up every day of the week (unless we are starting at extremely high levels).

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
Best dips
Cleric
Fighter
Warlock
Barbarian
Rogue

Bad Dips
Wizard
Druid
Bard
Ranger
Paladin
Monk

Now this isn't to say there aren't multiclass combinations that work even with the bad classes, but there's generally very little reason to dip into any of the above classes I've labeled as Bad Dips.

I consider 5+ levels in a class to be NOT A DIP

I respectfully disagree with your perspective on the Monk class, but that may just be a result of an old 2e adventure (some might well guess which one) where our entire party woke up stripped of everything but our small-clothes.

Having an improved unarmed attack seems to me to always be a welcome fall-back.

Remove ads