[Adventure] Serpent's Skull: Souls for Smuggler's Shiv (DM: Mewness; Judge: THB)

Pentius

First Post
Noriaki realizes first what the group is facing. "More plant zombies! Like on the main island!" He sets his jaw and puts a hand on his sword hilt, surveying the foe. "Taka, with me, we'll hit the left one and stop their flanking manuever!" Not waiting to see if the dragonborn agrees, Noriaki rushes forward, his footsteps silent as the spongy ground absorbs the sound. With a small jump, he brings out Arashi Tenken and drives her into the fungi-infested foe, hoping to put the last owner of the body to rest at last.

[sblock=Mechanics]
Gonna try our die roller in the new system. It can't give us worse results than the in-house roller or IC, right? R-right?

Move: to G9
Standard: Charge Red Mushzom, landing in C11, using howling strike.
Hit! 21 Damage!

First use report: The draw tool is far more amusing than it has any right to be. Erasing mistakes is easy, but unintuitive. Switch to the select tool, then highlight your mistake and hit the delete key. The die roller allowed me to hit and do okay damage. That'll do, die roller. That'll do.

[/sblock]
[sblock=Noriaki]
Noriaki Matsumoto
Male Human Thaneborn Barbarian 5
Initiative: +5(+7 with Takahaan)
Passive Perception: 12
Passive Insight: 13
Senses: Normal

AC:20
Fort:20
Reflex:18
Will:16
HP:51/51
Bloodied:25
Surges left:9/9
Surge Value:12
Action Points: 1/1

MBA: +11 to hit, 1d12+8 damage
Howling Strike
Pressing Strike

Vault the Fallen []
Shatterbone Strike []
Howl of Triumph []
Shrug it off []
Heroic Effort []
Second Wind []

Swift Panther Rage []
Silver Phoenix Rage

Conditions:

Action Surge: +3 bonus to attack rolls made during an action gained by spending an action point.

Horned Helm: +1d6 to charge damage

Battlecrazed Weapon: +1d6 damage when bloodied

Feral Might(Thaneborn Triumph): Whenever you bloody an enemy, the next attack by you or an ally against that enemy gains a bonus to the attack roll equal to your Charisma modifier(+2).[/sblock]

jbear

First Post
Kane follows behind Noriaki as he moves to attack, his fey beast follows him protectively. He draws his blade and reaches forward with his magic in search of the wounded creature's mind but finds nothing but murk and rot, much like the place that surrounds them.

[sblock=Actions] Kane moves to E5, Fey Beast moves to E6
minor Action: Draw blade
Standard Action: Phantasmal Assault: 10 vs Will of Red ringed Fungus Zombie; Miss: hehe ... as you do! [/sblock]

[sblock=Kane Arcane]
PC:Kane Arcane (jbear1979) - L4W Wiki
Human Hybrid Swordmage | Wizard 5
Passive Perception/Insight 14
AC:22, Fort:17, Reflex:18, Will:18, Speed:6
HP: (+0 THP) 49/49, Bloodied:24, Surge Value:12, Surges left:10/10
Initiative +2
Action Points: 1 (encounter):

Conditions:

Powers
MBA: Dislocation Longsword +1, +8 vs AC, 1d8+2 damage
Cantrips,
Freezing Burst, Phantasmal Assault, Sword Burst

Glorious Presence:
Aegis of Shielding:
Channelling Shield:
Dimensional Vortex:
Second Wind

Flaming Sphere:
Swordmage's Shielding Fire
Dislocation Longsword:
Amulet of Psychic Interference:

Combat notes:
Amulet of Psychic Interference: Kane makes a SThrow vs Charm, Fear and Psychic effects at the start of his turn; if he fails he does not get another SThrow to end them at the end of his turn
White Lotus Riposte: When an enemy Kane has hit with an At Will Power attacks him on his next turn, they take 4 dmg (type is equal to the damage type dealt by at will power)
Gauntlets of Arcane Might: Kane gains 2 THP when he hits an enemy he marks with an Arcane power
Shimmering Cloth Armor: Kane's ranged and area attacks do not provoke OAtks
War Wizard's Expertise: Kane's arcane attacks vs allies take a -5 penalty to hit.

Jade, Feybeast HP 24/24; AC 18 F/R/W 20/16/20
Perception +6
MBA: Claw: +10 vs AC; 1d12+2 dmg
Aura +2 dmg to all allies vs enemies in Fey Beast Aura; Kane gains CAdv vs enemies in aura
[/sblock]

GROMkill

First Post
[sblock=OOC]I'll update the roll20 page with my movement when I'm home. The site isn't compatible with the Internet Explorer that my work has on their computers T_T[/sblock]Takahaan takes Noriaki's cue to charge the flanker and pulls away from the group, just behind his human friend. "More of these? Hmph. They shall taste Jadian steel," he shouts to Noriaki, in Tsugo. As the bladesman leads the charge with a masterful stroke, Takahaan, with his massive dragonborn frame, follows up with a running brusque swing that staggers the mushroom fiend heavily.

[sblock=Mechanics]

Move: Walk to E8

Standard: Flattering Charge to C10 on Red Mushshroom Fiend. Hits Fort 20 for 14 damage and knocks the creature prone.

Minor: No action taken.

[sblock=Rolls]
Flattering Charge attack: 1d20+11=20
Flattering Charge damage: 1d10+7=14[/sblock][/sblock]
[sblock=Takahaan]Takahaan Thanazashi Male Dragonborn Bravura Warlord 5
Initiative: +4
Passive Perception: 11
Passive Insight: 11
Fort:18
Reflex:16
Will:18 HP:44/44
Bloodied:22
Surge Value:11
Surges left:8/8
Action Points: 1

Powers:

Brash Assault
Intuitive Strike
Dragon Breath [ ]
Inspiring Word [ ]
Flattering Charge [ ]
Vengeance Is Mine [ ]
Lamb to the Slaughter [ ]
Spur To Action [ ]

Other Abilities:

Second Wind [ ]
Cloak of Resistance [ ]
Dwarven Chainmail [ ]

Conditions

[sblock=Important Features] Bravura Presence: When an ally who can see you spends an action point to take an extra action and uses the action to make an attack, the ally can choose to take advantage of this feature before the attack roll. If the ally chooses to do so and the attack hits, the ally can either make a basic attack or take a move action after the attack as a free action. If the attack misses, the ally grants combat advantage to all enemies until the end of his or her next turn.

Combat Leader: You and each ally within 10 squares who can see and hear you gain a +2 power bonus to initiative.

Dragonborn Fury: When you’re bloodied, you gain a +1 racial bonus to attack rolls.[/sblock] [/sblock]

Last edited:

Mewness

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Roll20 draw tool--yeah, it's pretty annoying to delete things. Also, undo doesn't really work, which drives me totally insane when I'm trying to assemble maps.

I'm on my iPad at the moment, but I'll update the combat status in Roll20 when I get back.[/sblock]

Mewness

First Post
A bushy, innocuous-looking fungus growth reaches out a tendril as Kane moves near and grabs him, pulling him sharply towards it.

[sblock=ooc]Kane takes 8 damage, is grabbed, and is pulled to D6. Yellow blood shroom has been placed on the map. It has threatening reach 2, but its attack occurs before Taka's turn so he can easily avoid it.[/sblock]

Dekana

Explorer
Castile is right behind Noriaki and Takahaan as they charge into battle, although she takes care not to run into the hidden fungus like Kane. She comes up on the far side of the wounded mushroom creature and takes her axe to its midsection, tearing a deep gash into it.

"Look on the bright side," Castile says as she readies her shield for the counterattack. "This time there won't have any surprises!"

[sblock=Castile actions / stats]Minor: Perception 19, which fails... but my active perception is 21 on the dot, so I see the shrooms anyway. Ah well, not like I needed the minor action.

Move: Walk to G9.

Standard: Charge to C12! MBA vs Shroom (B11) hits AC 30 for 21 damage, it's marked TENT Castile, and Castile gains 4 THP.

PC:Castile (Dekana) - L4W Wiki- Female Dwarf Fighter 5
Passive Perception: 21, Passive Insight: 16
AC:21, Fort:20, Reflex:17, Will:16, +5 saves vs poison, Speed:5
HP:4+58/58, Bloodied:29, Surge Value:14, Surges left:13/13
Initiative +2
Action Points: 1 (encounter)

Conditions

Powers
MBA: Waraxe, +10 vs AC, 1d12+9 damage and gain 4 THP (see Combat notes below)
RBA: Waraxe, +10 vs AC, 1d12+7 damage, 6/12
Combat Challenge, Crushing Surge, Pass Forward, Tide of Iron
Bold Victory, Dwarven Resilience, Guardian's Counter, Hack and Hew, Shield Edge Block
Comeback Strike, Dwarven Thrower Waraxe, Rain of Steel

Combat notes: +2 melee / close damage with THP, +2 to attack roll on OAs, OAs stop enemy movement
[/sblock]

Mewness

First Post
OOC: I've put all the ongoing status stuff in Roll20 so that I don't have to update it in multiple places.

The Fungus God: Round 1

“You didn’t exaggerate about these things,” says Aerys, unsheathing her cutlass and her long knife and advancing. “Ugh. We’ll just see who--” She breaks off suddenly to dodge as one of the zombies charges towards her, but is taken off-guard by another one coming at her from the side and utters a most unladylike remark. Another zombie charges Hú Lí, delivering a massive blow.

The bushy thing near Kane presses more tendrils to his flesh, injecting foul spores that make his flesh turn grey and numb. Another bushy creature emerges from a tangled thicket to the south and grabs Hú Lí.

Bits and pieces that have been chopped off one of the zombies by Castile, Takahaan, and Noriaki creep towards the ship, joining with the roiling hill of mold that is emerging from it. A creeping fungal growth suddenly pops out of the ground near Castile, producing an explosion of spores that hits her right in the face. Another pops out near the beast, which recoils in surprise and starts to claw desperately at its own head.

[sblock=actions]Aerys moves to H8.

Red zombie gets up from prone and uses Pacification Spores in burst 1, getting Taka, Noriaki, Castile. Taka is hit for 17 poison and necrotic damage and cannot take standard actions until EoNT.

However Vengeance is Mine is not a standard action, so feel free to clobber it.

Blue zombie charges to I9 and misses Aerys.

Yellow zombie moves/charges to I8 and crits Aerys for 18 damage. (Anyone want to interrupt that?)

Green zombie moves/charges to I3 and crits Hú Lí for 18 damage. (How about that?)

Yellow shroom uses Subjugating spores on Kane and hits for 7 poison and necrotic damage. Kane also takes 5 ongoing poison and necrotic damage (save ends).

Purple shroom moves to J3 and hits Hú Lí for 13 damage. Hú Lí is grabbed, bloodied, and pulled to I2.

Fungus god moves ... a bit. (It’s speed 1.) Seed projectiles on Castile and Jade. Castile is crit for 19 poison and necrotic damage and a Creeping Spore appears in D11. Fey beast is hit for 16 and a Creeping Spore appears in E7.

Note auras on spores and fungus god: anyone starting their turn in such an aura takes 5 poison and necrotic.

You might not be so pleased with the Roll20 roller now....

Off-turn stuff
Virtue of Cunning: Castile, Noriaki, and Aerys are eligible.

Taka can use Vengeance is Mine on Red Zombie.

Kane could interrupt a whole lot of things.[/sblock]
[sblock=If you hit a fungus zombie]Roots of the Colony: If another zombie is within 5 squares when you hit, then each one takes half damage from the attack. If there’s more than one within range, pick the least damaged one to share the damage.[/sblock]

[sblock=Controlling Aerys]Companion NPCs in Combat

Any PC can take a standard, move, or minor action to have an NPC perform an action of the same (or a lesser) type. E.g., if you want Pezock to use Icy Skewer, you spend a standard action. If you want him to move, you spend a move action. An NPC is limited to the usual number of actions each round (but those actions need not all be granted by the same PC). An NPC who has an immediate action can likewise only use it if a PC has an immediate action available to use on his/her behalf.

NPCs can take free actions and opportunity actions normally, without the direction of PCs. They are always considered to have their weapons in hand and don’t need to spend actions unsheathing them.

If all of the PCs act in a given round without giving any actions to a particular NPC, I will have that NPC take one non-offensive action. This will most likely be Second Wind if it is needed and available, and movement or Total Defense if it is not. (It won’t be necessary for PCs to spend their own standard actions to have NPCs use second wind.)[/sblock]

[sblock=PCs’ Off-Turn Actions]Interrupts, Reactions, and so forth are listed here to help me remember them. It would also help me if you specify triggers for these actions. If you don’t, I’ll try to use them in sensible places.

Black Fox
Virtue of Cunning (free action; ally is missed)

Castile
Combat Challenge (interrupt; adjacent marked target shifts or makes an attack that doesn’t include Castile)
Guardian’s Counter (interrupt; ally within 2 is hit by an attack that doesn’t include Castile)
Shield Edge Block (interrupt; adjacent enemy hits or misses Castile with a close or melee attack): used if it will turn a hit into a miss.
Bold Victory Armor (free; Castile or an ally within 5 bloodies an enemy)

Kane
Aegis of Shielding (interrupt; marked enemy hits a target within 10 and the attack doesn’t include Kane)
Channeling Shield (interrupt; an attack hits Kane or an ally within 10): used to prevent a big or bloodying hit.
Dimensional Vortex (interrupt; an enemy within 10 hits an ally with a melee attack): used if Kane can thump a non-minion with it.
White Lotus Riposte (no action; when an enemy Kane hits with an arcane at-will attack him before EoNT, that enemy takes 4 damage of the same type as the at-will dealt)

Noriaki
Shrug it Off (reaction; Noriaki is subjected to a save ends effect)

Takahaan
Guardian’s Counter (interrupt; ally within 2 is hit by an attack that doesn’t include Takahaan)
Vengeance is Mine (reaction; an enemy hits Takahaan)[/sblock]

Attachments

• SilentIsleMap1.jpg
    SilentIsleMap1.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

GROMkill

First Post
As the fungus creatures make their counterattack to the adventurers' charges, Takahaan chokes as the spores spread through the air and he struggles to cough them up and expel them from his body. Blood drips from his nostrils and his eyes are reddened, but he manages to grip his jaw through the pain and make a fierce swing back at the creature, prompting an opening for his partner as well. "Nori! Let this fiend know our blades!" he cries out, as Otaruhi makes a clean cut into the mushroom zombie's soft hide.

[sblock=Mechanics]
Immediate Interrupt on Red Fungus Zombie: Vengeance is Mine: MBA on Red Fungus Zombie. Hits AC 20 for 13 damage. Noriaki is nominated for the free Ally MBA.

Start of Turn: Take 5 damage from aura, dropping to 22.

Move: Shift to D9.

Minor: No Action taken.

Standard: Nooooooooooope, Chuck Testa! >.>
[sblock=Rolls]
Vengeance is Mine MBA: 1d20+11=20
ViM Damage: 1d10+7=13[/sblock]
[/sblock][sblock=Takahaan]Takahaan Thanazashi Male Dragonborn Bravura Warlord 5
Initiative: +4
Passive Perception: 11
Passive Insight: 11
Fort:18
Reflex:16
Will:18 HP:22/44
Bloodied:22
Surge Value:11
Surges left:8/8
Action Points: 1

Powers:

Brash Assault
Intuitive Strike
Dragon Breath [ ]
Inspiring Word [ ]
Flattering Charge [ ]
Vengeance Is Mine [x]
Lamb to the Slaughter [ ]
Stand the Fallen [ ]
Spur To Action [ ]

Other Abilities:

Second Wind [ ]
Cloak of Resistance [ ]
Dwarven Chainmail [ ]

Conditions

[sblock=Important Features] Bravura Presence: When an ally who can see you spends an action point to take an extra action and uses the action to make an attack, the ally can choose to take advantage of this feature before the attack roll. If the ally chooses to do so and the attack hits, the ally can either make a basic attack or take a move action after the attack as a free action. If the attack misses, the ally grants combat advantage to all enemies until the end of his or her next turn.

Combat Leader: You and each ally within 10 squares who can see and hear you gain a +2 power bonus to initiative.

Dragonborn Fury: When you’re bloodied, you gain a +1 racial bonus to attack rolls.[/sblock] [/sblock]

Last edited:

jbear

First Post
[sblock=OOC] I was wondering about the initial attack on Kane.

Was that an OAtk? Or a readied action?

I'm guessing it was a readied action as Kane entered its threatening reach area but didn't move within it. And his ranged attacks don't provoke OAtks. Not that it matters that much.

Kane will use Dimensional Vortex to interrupt crit on Hu Li. rolling ...
[/sblock]

Mewness

First Post
OOC: Whoops, you're right, the OA shouldn't have happened. Brainfart. I'll fix that. Kane isn't grabbed, but the creeping spore will be in a different place, so he still starts in its aura.

Vengeance is Mine killed the red zombie.

Remove ads